How do you like your action?

I have never measured, but most other guitarists tell me my action is pretty high. I have been told there is "fight" in my guitars even though I play 9s. I do put a bit of bow in the neck so the action is higher around the 12th fret than the first or 22nd.

Most folks tell me that 1/16" low E-string is about factory spec. I think that's about the same across all 3 of my guitars. It's usually the pickup height that might vary, depending on strength/config/preference.

At my age, I appreciate any action.

I usually prefer my action in front of me, where I can keep an eye on it. ;):)o_O

Either that, or I wad it up into a little ball, and toss it over my shoulder, and scrap that idea, thus:

2XN7ae7.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious what you mean by lightened up. Are you referring to lighter string gauges or is it the lower action with almost straight neck is more conducive to a lighter and more relaxed touch in your technique?

Definitely lighter touch...have watched many videos, from Billy Sheehan wearing the bass up high, to lighten my touch/just turn the amp up, to Shawn's hand-yoga(??) videos. (hand/wrist rubs, etc...)
I watched Victor Wooten warm up years ago by rubbing his hands and arms, for circulation...all those things add up, especially after the big 5-0!!!!

With 10-46's, 3/64 on the high E and about 4/64 on the low measured at the 12th fret, with as little relief as practicable.

Back