How do you guys afford buying guitars???

Well, that was the first option that @alex1fly offered: Save for a long time. "Long time" is subjective, and if you bust your tail enough you can shorten the time frame in a few different ways.

The second option is not what I would ever suggest. But some people exercise it, and live with the risk. Perhaps because they have Option 3 at the ready:

The third option I assume alludes to having well-to-do parents who don't mind splurging, getting an inheritance (perhaps from aforementioned well-to-do parents), or acquiring a sugar-daddy/mommy.
I know I probably shouldn't tell him this, and get his hopes up... but there is also Option #4 as well.

Option #4 - Set up a "GoFundMe" page, and use the hashtag #richguysatthePRSforum

Now, I will tell you that for this one to work, you have to get all the guys here to REALLY like you. I tried and tried. Even posted a picture of me in a Speedo. I got some money, mainly from a guy named Reuben who just couldn't stop looking at the picture, but it was barely enough for an SE. I should have waited though because now I understand how "royalties" work as I keep getting checks for $11.52 every week. Guess he's still looking at it every couple days...

Anyway, I just couldn't get the support I needed. So if you're going to make this one work, you'll need to contact Sergio and get some tips.

I always just saved until I could get something I thought would last. 2 Tremonti at 19 is way ahead of me at that age.
I had a 10 year old bass that I bought with 6-8 weeks income - still have it. I also had a pretty, but not very good guitar my dad won in a poker game. I replaced it with something good 2 years later and dissected the crap one. I still own that guitar too.
Basically I saved until I could afford something good enough to keep.

Disclaimer: I'm not a hobbyist. I use the gear in connection with making a living.

I love you all, and totally grok what you're saying about all the excellent hard work you've done. It's praiseworthy, for the most part!

BUT...

We don't all have the same needs, we don't all have the same goals, and there's no cookie-cutter model called, "I worked hard for X years to get all this sh!t, boy, it's my reward for a life well-lived!"

Sometimes you need the gear not because you got where you got, but to get where you're going!

I can only use myself as an example, but in talking to others in my line of work, I'm not alone. I invested heavily in a recording studio and associated gear that was a necessary precondition to even climb into the biz, in the days before computer music and plugins, when pro level analog gear was very expensive, and that's what you needed to do the work. Multitrack, mastering deck, larger format console, lots of outboard, machine synchronizers and U-Matic video decks were the bare bones basics!

I bought my guitars - all my gear, really - for projects I was well paid to do. That's how it's been for my 32 years in the music biz.

I learned over the years that it pays to invest in one's profession. It's no different than when I opened a law office as a young guy (before getting into music when I was still pretty young) and bought law libraries, Xerox machines, rented office space, and hired personnel. None of it was free.

And the gear has covered its cost many times over. I have PS and Core guitars, and lots of recording gear. It's all part of the investment I've made in my business.

There's a reason for having the guitars besides 'I like cool guitars' (though fact is, I also like cool guitars, but that's a side benefit ;)).

You're not going to walk into a major label or ad session with an entry-level guitar and a cheap modeling amp, and make anyone happy. Just the way it is (BTW, an SE isn't an entry level guitar).

And sometimes age has little to do with it. My son was playing on some of my ad music tracks at 14, professionally. I got him good gear to use on those sessions, too, including a Core PRS. He deserved it. Last week he played a concert at Wrigley Field. He still deserves it! Except for the part about playing Fenders, but, OK, his creative choice. :eek: ;)

I could have loaned him something. But I felt he needed gear set up for him, so he could get the feel he wanted and the tone he wanted.

Symphony players take out mortgages on the instruments they buy - ones that cost as much as a decent house! That's right for them. They not only have to play well and sound good, they have to sound great, and are judged on the quality of their tone. Like session players. Just part of the game.

Hobbyists can rightfully brag, "I paid cash for my gear." I'm down with it, that's great!

Professionals don't have to justify it that way, any more than GM does when they go to the bank and investors to finance a factory, associated machines and tooling.

Last edited:
At 19 I was in the USAF and used my signing bonus to get a proper setup. A few years in, I bought a few nicer guitars and amps. I got "signed" right out the USAF, then went indie and got my music on international radio, TV (MTV, Vh1, etc.), movies, and so on. I had some ups and downs with instruments over the years, owning some incredible custom builds, and making a living with <$500 ones when I was in a pinch. These days, there are so many fantastic instruments and the SE line is right up there competing with guitars in a much higher price bracket. Don't feel any shame for playing SEs and lusting over the Private Stocks! I think we all do that, even when we can afford them!

Here's a life lesson I wish I'd figured out early on though - you can have a great "day gig" career and still be a musician/artist. In fact, when I hear people boast about how they're struggling as an artist I wonder how they haven't figured out there's no shame in having a career to support the art. I've been studying Leonardo da Vinci for years, known as one of the greatest artists in human history. Know what he did to support his art? He took commissions from patrons, designed war machines for royal courts, even the coveted 'Last Supper' was a side gig for him to fund his true passions, hence why he dragged it out and it was never quite finished.

This all being said, I'm also in my early 40s now and have a thriving career and family I'm passionate about. It takes nothing away from my artistic ventures. :cool:

P.S. Also as others here, I learned to value true education, earned a few degrees, and still read, study, and enjoy the gift of pursuing self/professional development.

Last edited:
When I was 19 I played a fender duo sonic short scale guitar. My amp was some sort of fender combo that was turned into a head and a music man 4x12.

I couldn't afford much AND I had zero direction as far as career options. My parents really didn't push me to decide what I wanted to do for a living and to top it off, my mom didn't want me spending my money on guitars and amps.

Two pieces of advice I can offer.

Figure out what you'd like to do for a living and how to make that happen. It's important to choose something that you are passionate about so you are inclined to stay interested and constantly improve.

Avoid the pitfalls of impulse spending. This is something I've had to drill into my son's head. His friends all have jobs, still live at home and spend money like its going out of style.

Be a saver, be the guy that always seems to have money.

I hate debt and my wife is an excellent saver which has really paid off for us.

So my advice is......get yourself into a position to make good money first then save save save. Everything else will fall into place.

At 19 years old I, also, had an Ibanez Sabre (the yellow one on the left). I still have it.

Once I graduated university I bought a USA Jackson PC1. At the time that guitar was $1699 USD. I played it for 10 years.

During that time I had other, less expensive guitars - mostly used, mostly shred guitars because it was the mid 90s and nobody wanted them. I had ESPs, Hamers, Charvels, Kramers, etc. All are worth WAY more than I paid or got for them when I moved them on.

I began ordering Custom Shop Jackson guitars when I was 25. Expensive? Yeah, for the time period. They would run about $6k. Cool part? They took FOREVER to get built - up to 2 years. That gave me a chance to save.

I didn't move to playing PRS until my 40s. I still bought mostly used, but I was happy!!

I ALMOST bought one of those exactly like that color and all. Literally decided to buy it, but before I got back to that store, found a Kramer Pacer at another store and bought it instead.

I got mine in 1987 at the local shop. It was $395 on sale. Nobody wanted it. I wanted the Jem they had - shocking pink with the disappearing pyramids - but it was $1300. I had enough for the S. In the end I am happy because that yellow guitar is my songwriting guitar. It has SO much music in it.

In fact, it's the only guitar out right now. This morning I paired it with my Uberschall rig in the Helix and recorded a new song concept. The idea came within minutes of playing the guitar.

I'm 19, I'm broke because uni :/
But my sister works part time maximum manager shifts at this bar that she's been at for a while and she's got like 12 grand in the savings (pure personal savings, no car payments, other things to pay off etc. all of that just for whatever she wants to do with it . The cores are like 4 grand, and a lot of you have multiple. some people get private stocks. Some of you EVEN get custom made private stocks which is awesome. As well as the minimum 2 beautiful cores that I aspire to have (a tobacco McCarty Singlecut and a light charcoal Tremonti) I'm recently super into some other big expensive stuff. I'm a music person, I'm studying music stuff, and my career path is leading me into a life in the music industry and all that. Half the time buying all this equipment seems damn near impossible, and then other days when I see other things a 12 grand customised private stock doesn't seem like as much wishful thinking as possibility. I'm kinda just curious how u guys justify every music purchase you make when it's so goddamn expensive... or is it? I CAN'T TELL I HAVE NO PERSPECTIVE ON THE VALUE OF MONEY

Edit: I'm not looking at buying hundreds of guitars now at my age. I have my 2 SE Tremontis (they are different) one that my dad got me for my 18th bday, and one that I bought myself. But my perspective on money is wayyyy off I think. Just from what I see around me, I'm curious how people who have been doing this for longer than me lmaooooo and how it's turned out for you guys.
"Perspective".
Just wait until you're out in the world and try making a go at a living on your own ;) Then you'll have some perspective ("...too much bloody perspective...").

There are a few things you should keep in mind as you aspire to own some of the Core guitars:
- Work your butt off
- Avoid drugs/alcohol
- Avoid women until you're financially settled (at the very least don't get one pregnant!)
- Work your butt off

With those two SE guitars, you'll be able to get A LOT accomplished musically. Follow the basic tips mentioned above, and you'll likely be in a position to order whatever PRS tickles your fancy.

How did I afford the two PRS guitars I own?

By following the list above. While busting my butt on a career, I avoided debt where ever possible. Doing so required patience and self restraint. It also allowed me to purchase nice guitars and such along the way. Now, being married & retired, I took account of the things I own and how I use them. Sold off that which wasn't being used on a regular basis (i.e. downsized); that money funded the two I now own.

Last bit of advice on guitars:

- Own guitars. Don't let your guitars own you~

Hopefully you find something here helpful :)

~M

Heck, I was already into my 30s when PRS guitars were first introduced, but I didn't buy one until I was in my 40s. At 19, however, I was fortunate enough to be playing in a fairly successful rock band, so I was actually able to afford a couple of Les Pauls as well as a 335 at the time. Once I had a wife and three kids, though, that all changed! We've since retired after earning our college degrees and maintaining good jobs but, as others have said, it's all about managing your money well. Going deeply into debt is perhaps one of the very worst things a person can do if one hopes to afford the kinds of luxuries that are desired in life.

I couldn‘t afford good guitars until i was in my late forties. It’s called life!
I couldn't afford more than just ONE good guitar until I started making a decent living in my 40's.

To accomplish that I had to give up making a living playing the guitar and become a furniture maker.

I'm not a guitar hoarder and I usually sell something valuable that I'm not playing to justify purchasing something valuable.

When I bought my three Bernie Marsdens and Stripped 58 I sold my '95 CU22, my National Tricone, my Rick Turner Model One and two SE Singlecuts. That way it felt more like a trade.

Last edited:
Back