How did you discover PRSi?

I've been playing guitar for about 22 years now. It took me quite a while to find these magical instruments, though. My first electric guitar was a Fender Strat. Then I had a couple of Telecasters and a Gibson Les Paul Special before I finally got my first PRS SC245. I guess I really discovered PRS when I got my mind blown by Alter Bridge... But now I'm hooked. Which is a good thing. And a bad, too. Ah well. Who needs food anyway.

Guitar player from Last Crack had one in a video of theirs way back in the day. Saw my first one in person at Corner Music back in the 90's when I lived in Nashville. Emerald Green CU24 with gold hardware and birds, just killer. Was playing a Charvel 475 and an Ibanez 540p at the time and the PRS just grabbed me in a way that those didn't.

Waited for years to get one and bought my first in 2000. Owned quite a few and kept a bunch since then.:cool: Never forget playing that first one though, memory of that is still as vivid as can be. Pretty much play them exclusively now.

I have been always amazed with the rock genre and bands for as far as I remember. As a kid I told my parents that I wanted to learn to play the guitar and play rock. But, they said rock music is for druggies and sent me to a piano teacher instead. I come from an Asian 3rd world country and money does not come easy. So, i started with a 3rd world country style Stratocaster back in the 80's. It was a strat body made of plywood, a Jaguar style bridge, and very weak pickups made of so and so materials that feedbacks like heck! I believe the neck had no truss rod. I bought it for $30 in today's rate by saving lunch money for months. I had to skip a lot of lunches. I learned how to play the guitar on it.

As I moved on to college, a friend pawned his guitar to me. I did know much about guitars, but it looked like a real Fender strat to me. It had what I thought was a silver bullet on the headstock. I got to jam and gig with people. When I graduated college, this friend claimed his guitar back. So, I was without a guitar. I got to earn enough money to buy a decent Asian made Washburn electric guitar because I could not afford a US guitar.

Then, a friend lent me some Guitar Magazines. I couldn't buy one as they were expensive in my country. I saw this PRS guitar Ad in the 90's that caught my attention...

$_1.JPG

...I had no idea who the guy was, but I wished I could have that guitar someday. I checked how much they go for... and it was beyond the means of an average 3rd world country fellow like me.

With the grace of our great creator, I ended up here in America. But, I still did not have the means to buy a PRS. I was able to buy dirt cheap guitars that needed rescue from pawnshops, craigslist, here, and there. I was able to learn from forums like how to fix guitars. So, I fixed, mod'ed, used them joyfully, and then sold when needed. I bought and sold until I was able to acquire a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster. It had good reviews. It was not a real Fender, but it's quality and feel was almost if not equal to one. I enjoyed it, but... I still yearned for a PRS that I admired on a magazine ad page 20 years ago. I came upon a PRS Singlecut SE somewhat within my means...

vHXX64rm.jpg

...but, I was not impressed with it. I returned it and ignored PRS guitars...

...well, until I found an S2 Standard 22 within my means.

I had to sell a bunch of my cheap guitars to afford it which I had no regret! It is truly a beautiful guitar and it sounds and feels just like I imagined how a PRS would! It may not be 100% American, but it is the closest I could get.

If God allows it, perhaps I will own a core someday!

Last edited:
Cheers mate.
I’m glad you found a way into the club.
Your guitar looks good.
I have been always amazed with rock and bands for as far as I remember. As a kid I told my parents that I wanted to learn to play the guitar and play rock. They said rock are for druggies and sent me to a piano teacher. I come from a 3rd world country. I did not have much money. I started with what a 3rd world country come up with a Stratocaster in the 80's. It was a strat body made of plywood, A Jaguar style bridge. Very weak pickups made of so and so materials and a neck which I think had no truss rod. It feedbacks a lot! I bought it for $30 in today's rate by saving lunch money for months without lunch. I learned playing the guitar on it.

As I moved on, a friend pawned his decent guitar to me. Went to college. Gigged. Graduated college. After a while, this friend claimed his guitar back. I was without a guitar. Got to earn some money enough to buy a decent Asian made guitar but never enough for a US guitar.

I saw this PRS guitar Ad in the 90's...

$_1.JPG

...I had no idea who the guy was, but I wished I could have that guitar someday. I checked how much they go for... and it was beyond the means of an average 3rd world country fellow like me.

With the grace of our great creator, I ended up here in America. However, still no means to buy a PRS. However, I was able to buy guitars that needed rescue. I was able to learn from forums like this. Fixed guitars, used them, and then sold them. I was able to buy and sell until I was able to acquire a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster. It was not a Fender, but it's quality and feel was almost if not equal to one. I enjoyed it, and other "affordable" guitars. But... I still yearned for a PRS that I admired on a magazine ad page almost 20 years ago. I came upon a PRS Singlecut SE somewhat within my means...

vHXX64r.jpg

...but, I was not impressed with it, that I started to ignore PRS guitars...

But I had to sell a bunch of guitars to afford it which I had no regret! It is truly a beautiful guitar and it sounds and feels just like I imagined how a PRS would! It may not be 100% American, but it is the closest I could get.

If God allows it, perhaps this is just the beginning!

Growing up, a lot of the bands I hated used PRS, so I had a bad opinion of the brand for a long time.

Fast forward to a few years ago and I wanted something different. I pulled a bunch of guitars off the wall and found that I kept comparing everything in the shop to a PRS McCarty. I didn’t buy it because it wasn’t the guitar I was looking for, but later on it sank in that I was ignoring the guitar that sounded better than every other guitar and I went back the next day to play it again, then bought it.

One of the things I’ve come to appreciate about PRS is that none of my heroes use one. It’s given me the freedom to more or less pursue my own sound without constantly comparing myself to them.

Growing up, a lot of the bands I hated used PRS, so I had a bad opinion of the brand for a long time.

Fast forward to a few years ago and I wanted something different. I pulled a bunch of guitars off the wall and found that I kept comparing everything in the shop to a PRS McCarty. I didn’t buy it because it wasn’t the guitar I was looking for, but later on it sank in that I was ignoring the guitar that sounded better than every other guitar and I went back the next day to play it again, then bought it.

One of the things I’ve come to appreciate about PRS is that none of my heroes use one. It’s given me the freedom to more or less pursue my own sound without constantly comparing myself to them.
Wonderfully said! Which made me realize... neither any of my "heroes" play a PRS either! And, I have no idea why I wanted one. I don't even know who the person is in the 90's ad I mentioned above.

Through Santana and his 'Supernatural' album, at first. Also from Tremonti, espcially around the time the first AB album was coming out.

The cover and back on one of My fav guitaralbums of all time,Carlos Santana- Blues for Salvador.Guitarworld had an interview with Carlos around this time where he discussed his PRS.Plus all the beautiful ads in late 80s early 90s.

I have been always amazed with rock and bands for as far as I remember. As a kid I told my parents that I wanted to learn to play the guitar and play rock. They said rock are for druggies and sent me to a piano teacher. I come from a 3rd world country. I did not have much money. I started with what a 3rd world country come up with a Stratocaster in the 80's. It was a strat body made of plywood, A Jaguar style bridge. Very weak pickups made of so and so materials and a neck which I think had no truss rod. It feedbacks a lot! I bought it for $30 in today's rate by saving lunch money for months without lunch. I learned playing the guitar on it.

As I moved on, a friend pawned his decent guitar to me. Went to college. Gigged. Graduated college. After a while, this friend claimed his guitar back. I was without a guitar. Got to earn some money enough to buy a decent Asian made guitar but never enough for a US guitar.

I saw this PRS guitar Ad in the 90's...

$_1.JPG

With the grace of our great creator, I ended up here in America. However, still no means to buy a PRS. However, I was able to buy guitars that needed rescue. I was able to learn from forums like this. Fixed guitars, used them, and then sold them. I was able to buy and sell until I was able to acquire a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster. It was not a Fender, but it's quality and feel was almost if not equal to one. I enjoyed it, and other "affordable" guitars. But... I still yearned for a PRS that I admired on a magazine ad page almost 20 years ago. I came upon a PRS Singlecut SE somewhat within my means...

vHXX64rm.jpg

...but, I was not impressed with it, that I started to ignore PRS guitars...

But I had to sell a bunch of guitars to afford it which I had no regret! It is truly a beautiful guitar and it sounds and feels just like I imagined how a PRS would! It may not be 100% American, but it is the closest I could get.

If God allows it, perhaps this is just the beginning!
Best story so far

Guitar Player magazine did a feature in early 1982. I was 14 and lived in Annapolis. Went and visited the shop on West Street. Played one or two owned by local people over the next little while. Was able to buy my first one in 1990.

Back