How did you discover PRSi?

I didn't discover PRS. PRS discovered me. I was traveling and had a day to kill. Went to GC to play LP's. There was an Emerald Green Cu24AP that wouldn't let me leave without her. I had no idea what it was when I bought it. I just knew she was for me. Still feels the same after 13 years.

Another amazing story

There was this issue of Guitar Player magazine that had a review of the "PRS Guitar" (which would later be known as the Custom).

Oh look, here's a link: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/original-guitar-player-review-of-the-prs-custom.5306.

I read that review and thought this PRS thing must have been the greatest guitar ever conceived, and that I'd never be able to afford one. I was a "poor" college student at the time and was convinced there was no sense in spending more than $1000 on a guitar ever (I think I had $800 spending money for the entire year). I knew kids who owned Jacksons, which were considered the pinnacle of luthierie at the time, and I just couldn't go there.

At the time I aspired to buying something (well, almost anything out of the 1985 Ibanez catalog) so springing more than a few hundred dollars seemed like madness at the time. American Fender Strats could be had for $330 back then.

I lusted after a PRS every time I saw one, then stumbled across a local classified ad for a secondhand Classic Electric in 1993 or so. I couldn't pass up the price, and figured it was the only chance I'd ever have to own one. So I scooped it up. I figured I'd made a good decision when my wife commented "you play better on that one." And so the hook was set.

I didn't buy another one until 2001, and somehow the diabolical machinations of Mr. Smith have ensured that I've bought one a year like clockwork ever since...

Oh, and have you looked at the 1985 Ibanez catalog? There was a lot of cool stuff in there that still resonates surprisingly strongly with this PRS fan: https://www.ibanez.com/usa/support/catalogs/19850101000001.html.

Note the RS1010SL, RS1300s, AR300s, AR350s, AM205, and AS200. See any similarities to certain guitars we know and love?

There was this issue of Guitar Player magazine that had a review of the "PRS Guitar" (which would later be known as the Custom).

Oh look, here's a link: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/original-guitar-player-review-of-the-prs-custom.5306.

I read that review and thought this PRS thing must have been the greatest guitar ever conceived, and that I'd never be able to afford one. I was a "poor" college student at the time and was convinced there was no sense in spending more than $1000 on a guitar ever (I think I had $800 spending money for the entire year). I knew kids who owned Jacksons, which were considered the pinnacle of luthierie at the time, and I just couldn't go there.

At the time I aspired to buying something (well, almost anything out of the 1985 Ibanez catalog) so springing more than a few hundred dollars seemed like madness at the time. American Fender Strats could be had for $330 back then.

I lusted after a PRS every time I saw one, then stumbled across a local classified ad for a secondhand Classic Electric in 1993 or so. I couldn't pass up the price, and figured it was the only chance I'd ever have to own one. So I scooped it up. I figured I'd made a good decision when my wife commented "you play better on that one." And so the hook was set.

I didn't buy another one until 2001, and somehow the diabolical machinations of Mr. Smith have ensured that I've bought one a year like clockwork ever since...

Oh, and have you looked at the 1985 Ibanez catalog? There was a lot of cool stuff in there that still resonates surprisingly strongly with this PRS fan: https://www.ibanez.com/usa/support/catalogs/19850101000001.html.

Note the RS1010SL, RS1300s, AR300s, AR350s, AM205, and AS200. See any similarities to certain guitars we know and love?

I don't understand the deal with Ibanez.

Saw them hanging on a wall at the GC in Villa Park, IL. They just looked so cool, and played great! I took the Mrs back with me (and my Hot Pink EBMM EVH) and left with a McCarty. Don't recall the exact color, but it was close to Angry Larry. Loved that guitar! It was a '98. I believe. Had to sell it in 2000 to pay the Tax Man. That sucked. Haven't put myself back in that position since.

hLQMcIz.jpg

Matching leads! Where are the shoes?!

God that Ibanez catalogue brings back memories! Allan Holdsworrh and Joe Pass! My Dad had a JP20 before he got an ES175D.

They were all probably still made in Japan at this time!

I heard about PRS back in the late 1980s reading both Guitar World and Guitar For The Practicing Musician magazines. They were too expensive for me then as I was in my late teens at the time. I remember Ted Nugent being one of the guitarists I first saw use PRS. I also remember George Lynch used PRS in the early 1990s during the second Lynch Mob album. I think George had a falling out briefly with ESP guitars and started using PRS for a time.

I heard about PRS back in the late 1980s reading both Guitar World and Guitar For The Practicing Musician magazines. They were too expensive for me then as I was in my late teens at the time. I remember Ted Nugent being one of the guitarists I first saw use PRS. I also remember George Lynch used PRS in the early 1990s during the second Lynch Mob album. I think George had a falling out briefly with ESP guitars and started using PRS for a time.

I never seen Ted with one

I first saw a PRS in Guitarist mag as a teenager back in the late 80s....if I remember right it was a custom with birds with a tasty quilted top in vintage yellow, pictured sitting on a car bonnet. From that first pic I was hooked, but in the UK a PRS then was a rare thing indeed. I eventually managed to save and in 1993 I got myself a CE24. That guitar has some serious mileage on it but still looks great 25 years on.
I always think of that CE as having a kind of superstrat vibe....alder/maple body,wide/thin bolt on neck, 24 frets and hot Dragon 1 pups. Killer rock machine.

I first saw a PRS in Guitarist mag as a teenager back in the late 80s....if I remember right it was a custom with birds with a tasty quilted top in vintage yellow, pictured sitting on a car bonnet. From that first pic I was hooked, but in the UK a PRS then was a rare thing indeed. I eventually managed to save and in 1993 I got myself a CE24. That guitar has some serious mileage on it but still looks great 25 years on.
I always think of that CE as having a kind of superstrat vibe....alder/maple body,wide/thin bolt on neck, 24 frets and hot Dragon 1 pups. Killer rock machine.

When did PRS start to gain prominence in the UK?

I'm not sure they've ever gained prominence in the UK as such. They are still relatively rare to see out in the wild. In my 22 years of playing the electric guitar I've only ever touched two PRSi (I'm not including SEs here as they are quite common), one of which is mine that I bought sight unseen, and one that I tried out in a guitar shop (that I had to drive an hour to get to) whilst I was on the search for guitars that eventually ended in buying the PRS I have. I've only ever known one local guitarist that played a PRS. However, I live in rural Somerset so I may have a different experience to someone who lives in a city.

For me, it was the Nu-Metal and American Punk scene around the late 90s when we really started to see PRS guitars regularly in the magazines over here. I don't buy guitar magazines anymore so I don't know what the current state of play is - but with the advent of the internet it's now easier to track a PRS guitar down in the UK through shops such as Anderton's, World Guitars, Peach etc. So at least we have some decent options for buying one over here now.

I'm not sure they've ever gained prominence in the UK as such. They are still relatively rare to see out in the wild. In my 22 years of playing the electric guitar I've only ever touched two PRSi (I'm not including SEs here as they are quite common), one of which is mine that I bought sight unseen, and one that I tried out in a guitar shop (that I had to drive an hour to get to) whilst I was on the search for guitars that eventually ended in buying the PRS I have. I've only ever known one local guitarist that played a PRS. However, I live in rural Somerset so I may have a different experience to someone who lives in a city.

For me, it was the Nu-Metal and American Punk scene around the late 90s when we really started to see PRS guitars regularly in the magazines over here. I don't buy guitar magazines anymore so I don't know what the current state of play is - but with the advent of the internet it's now easier to track a PRS guitar down in the UK through shops such as Anderton's, World Guitars, Peach etc. So at least we have some decent options for buying one over here now.

The guitar magazines are still predominantly F and G!

As a breed we’re quite conservative!

New designs are frowned upon a lot of the time.

A buddy of mine got a new Custom 24 in VY. I had not been playing guitar long. I thought it was a beautiful guitar. Been a devotee since playing that about 15 years ago.

I have a slightly different answer and experience to @Tone-y as I certainly remember seeing PRS guitars in the late 80's early 90's. I must admit though that they were 'rare' - like Parker Guitars but they certainly had an audience and could be seen in most of the shops in my area unlike Parker which were very rare to see. They weren't 'common', it wasn't as if every 'bar' playing band had anything like a PRS and at most, you would see a proper Gibson Les Paul which was probably bought second hand before the whole Vintage thing blew up. Only famous bands had a Les Paul custom shop. It was seeing PRS in a guitar shop that made me want one, made it the ultimate guitar - the Waynes World it will be mine, oh yes it will be mine Guitar. It replaced my Gibson Les Paul Custom in Wine Red as my 'dream' guitar as soon as I saw one - I never saw a Wine Red Les Paul either - other than in a shop...

You could equally argue that the Ibanez Jem never came to prominence in the UK as these too were never really seen other than in a guitar shop. I think a lot of that though comes down to price. Your average band weren't really playing PRS on stage - much like they weren't playing any high end guitar on stage. I honestly can't say I remember seeing them anywhere other than a guitar shop or in Guitarist magazines. At most you would see a video of one of the American bands of the late 90's playing PRS but the shops around me were selling PRS guitars - not in huge quantity but enough to see new guitars in and older stock disappear. For example 'World Guitars' a high end guitar shop that Rob Chapman (of Andertons and Chapman guitars) started doing video demonstrations for is literally just down the road from me - within 20mins drive. Someone must have been buying these guitars.

Prominence though is perhaps too strong a word. They certainly aren't or weren't common to see if you exclude the shops and the obvious turn over of stock. My 'Waynes World' dream guitar would have to be replaced as the guitars would disappear from the shop, sold to someone, and be replaced by another similar PRS. The very late 90's and 2000's were not as music focussed for me as I got married and had kids so any thoughts of pursuing music and obtaining a 'dream guitar' disappeared so I stopped looking.

High end guitars have never been 'common' to see amongst the bands I used to see in pubs/clubs etc. Santana was still the most famous player of PRS guitars. I can't recall anyone I saw live actually playing a PRS and only tended to see them in guitar shops but they would disappear and be replaced by 'new' PRS stock. I only know this because they were my 'dream' guitar and would be replaced by a different dream guitar as they sold. These were like Ferrari's or Lamborghini's of guitars - the very high end instrument that people were obviously buying but once they left a showroom, you rarely if ever saw them out in the 'wild' so to speak. They may well of been bought as a 'trophy', a studio/home use 'prize' guitar that people didn't take to gigs as those who bought supercars didn't drive their prize motor to work every day. I really don't know - all I know is that PRS guitars, as well as adverts in UK based Guitar magazines had PRS - generally the most expensive guitars in the shop - and these would sell periodically so some people must have bought them.

There are UK based guitarists here who own PRS. Maybe they have a different perspective but I kind of think that unless you were a Professional recording musician, High end instruments just weren't used for gigging. There seemed to be quite a gap between bands that had made it and the rest who were 'trying' to make it - the bands doing all the pubs, clubs etc. Those that hadn't were generally playing guitars under £1k and those that had were bands that tended to be 'Gibson' or 'Fender' - maybe Jackson or Ibanez.

As I said, my experience is likely to be different from some as I missed the whole era of the SE release and subsequent decade due to family commitments so I am only referring to the first 14yrs of PRS (from their first factory onwards) and haven't really been actively going out to pubs/clubs etc since I separated and divorced which has enabled me to return to trying to play guitar. I am only speaking of the pre-2000's when I say that bands weren't using 'high' end instruments - inc Gibson - unless they were old and obviously used before the vintage market made these 'something' special. The 'few' opportunities I had to look in a music shop to look at 'dream' guitars, look at something that were drifting further and further away - even more of an unobtainable dream, I would never see the same instruments twice meaning that their stock had at least been replaced.

I probably started dabbling in guitar maybe the 80's. Very early 90's I used to go to music stores with my dad. I had probably seen guitar mag ads prior, but we walked into a usual store stop and there was a display set up in the middle of the store with maybe 7-8 PRS guitars on it. We pretty much stopped dead in our tracks. Highly figured tops with non classic colors and bird inlays were the first thing that stood out. I remember royal and whale blue, emerald green, purple, grey black. Still to this day, the classic colors don't usually float my boat much, but those PRS classic colors that I mentioned are pretty damn cool in my book. It was a tasteful modernization unlike the typical 80's stuff that was mostly flash. Anyway, I didn't play a PRS that day because they were way out of the price range of something I could get. I did vow to my dad that one day I would get.
Fast forward to the mid 90's, got out of school and was working. Wanting a PRS more and more. I saw a Darth Vader action figure in a pawn shop selling for like $10. I realized I had all those classic Star Wars toys my dad got me when I was a kid collecting dust and started pricing some of it(oh, the internet would've been WAY helpful then!). I talked to my dad and he was cool with me selling the Star Wars collection to fund a PRS. And that was that. I ordered a Custom 22 in whale blue and the wait began. I think it took 8-9 months or so. PRS had just moved to Stevensville around that time. I remember getting the call when it was in. Racing to the music store and back home to show my dad(and mom), worried I was gonna get a speeding ticket. Opening the case on the living room floor, it was one of moments where the angel's sing and everyone ooh's and aah's. My dad passed away the following year. Him, I and PRS will always be connected by those moments.

I probably started dabbling in guitar maybe the 80's. Very early 90's I used to go to music stores with my dad. I had probably seen guitar mag ads prior, but we walked into a usual store stop and there was a display set up in the middle of the store with maybe 7-8 PRS guitars on it. We pretty much stopped dead in our tracks. Highly figured tops with non classic colors and bird inlays were the first thing that stood out. I remember royal and whale blue, emerald green, purple, grey black. Still to this day, the classic colors don't usually float my boat much, but those PRS classic colors that I mentioned are pretty damn cool in my book. It was a tasteful modernization unlike the typical 80's stuff that was mostly flash. Anyway, I didn't play a PRS that day because they were way out of the price range of something I could get. I did vow to my dad that one day I would get.
Fast forward to the mid 90's, got out of school and was working. Wanting a PRS more and more. I saw a Darth Vader action figure in a pawn shop selling for like $10. I realized I had all those classic Star Wars toys my dad got me when I was a kid collecting dust and started pricing some of it(oh, the internet would've been WAY helpful then!). I talked to my dad and he was cool with me selling the Star Wars collection to fund a PRS. And that was that. I ordered a Custom 22 in whale blue and the wait began. I think it took 8-9 months or so. PRS had just moved to Stevensville around that time. I remember getting the call when it was in. Racing to the music store and back home to show my dad(and mom), worried I was gonna get a speeding ticket. Opening the case on the living room floor, it was one of moments where the angel's sing and everyone ooh's and aah's. My dad passed away the following year. Him, I and PRS will always be connected by those moments.
Your story still wins my friend.

Back