Hopefully a good oldie coming my way (first post introduction)

Buffalo0993

Just bought a pretty nice looking (but pretty beat up) PRS CE 24 on the way to me. I think it's emerald green? It'll be nice not to have to worry about bumping it or scratching it lol. Anyways I was hoping you guys could give me more info on this thing and opinions. This is my first prs and actually my first humbucker equipped guitar. I hope it's a good one. I always said if I ever get a humbucker guitar it would be a prs.

Heres some pics

i was thinking maybe I should sand down the neck and/or have it refinished later. I don't know if I should really sand it down though might not be a good idea. But I don't know how expensive it would be to have PTC Refin it for me.

So what do you guys think?!

Up front in looks pretty good. The headstock paint was just a bit worn, no biggie. The dirty neck probably can be solved in some way, maybe rubbing with eraser? And that green, I love that green. I think I need a green PRS now! I'd say it'll be playable, if the previous owner didn't give it a hard time. Do try it out in person if possible, you don't want to risk getting a bad one!

Lastly, welcome to the forum! :beer:

Looks good. I love a well used guitar. The top and color are great.

My first PRS was a '91 or '92 CE24. I loved it for a long time.

Welcome aboard.

WOO HOO!! I loves me the old alder-bodied CEs.

Looks like you have a 1993 there - awesome, which means it's a three-piece alder body with a maple cap, and will sound magical! Cannot tell from the photos, but you can check the bridge to see if it's one of the older one-piece MIL-COM pieces. On a one-piece bridge, if you look down at the saddles from above, you WILL NOT see three large bolts under the saddles. There is also MIL-COM stamped on the face of the bridge that is closest to the strap button. The one piece bridges are more sought after, supposedly sound better (but I haven't ever heard a bad sounding CE ;) )

Probably HFS Treble / Vintage Bass pickups. She will scream and you will get some nice single-coil tones out of her as well.

My only initial recommendation: get some new lampshade knobs (they come in packs of 2) because that mismatched grippy-one has to go lol

CONGRATS and WELCOME!

Welcome aboard and congrats on one Bangin' CE! You did real good on pickin' out your first PRS, those alder CE's are the Bomb! and +1 on everything Carl said.

The PTC did a frickin' amazing job on my second CE by giving it the "in the wood" finish for it's neck, call for a quote after you settle in with it for a while... LOVE that guitar, a little sharpie action on the headstock will smooth out the look, and don't feel too bad about the nitro fallin' off the neck... they all do that if it's seen any playing time. Damn that's a fine guitar!

It might've been on eBay but that's not where I got it, I traded a parts strat that I don't play anymore for it. I won't be able to play it in person first it's already on the way. I live out in the country so I get all my guitars on the Internet. Yeh I hear there's a good following with the pre 95 CEs.

Lol I also thought of giving it some sharpie action on the headstock, I might do it. I just think even if I don't like it I can have the neck refinished and it will sell much easier than a partscaster even though the partscaster had really good quality parts. I do have the option to return it though if need be, but it seems like a good solid players guitar. The best guitars are always beat up iv found. Ill be sure to look for the one piece bridge

Looks like someone already broke it in for you. All that's left to do is play it!

just got it in yesterday and i absolutely love it. Im glad i traded my partscaster for it because i even like the in between settings better than that strat (and that was the best strat iv had)

Really impressed with it, i thought i wouldnt like the pickups because i usually like lower output pickups but theyre just fine. and good thing because that 5 way rotary looks like rocket surgery. Overall im very happy with my first prs, i dont plan to get the neck refinished for awhile at least its fine the way it is. just need to get a knob. I wish i could find just one knob. and why on earth are they so expensive?!

It does have the mann made trem, but its covered in alot of green buildup of some sort. Tuning stability seems to be find despite that. It didnt come with a trem arm to my dismay, the seller didnt tell me about this (very not cool) but i love the guitar and im not gonna let that stop me from enjoying it

Last edited:
I can't believe somebody traded you that for a parts-caster... Sucker!!!! You seriously got a good one there, holler at John Mann and get a trem arm his are top quality and super reasonable.

Nice! My CU22 is quite beatup too, but it is my all time favorite guitar, enjoy!

So I guess there's no way to have a Floyd rose style trem arm?

How are mannmade trem arms better? Aren't they the same thing?

Back