Help with information about CE22F

Dsmto

Hello! Sorry for the bad English. I am the owner of the old CE22. According to the serial number, it speaks of production in 1995, but the date 2-12-96 is on the neck. Is it possible to make a body and a neck in different years? Under the pickup bridge it says "new opaque color. Ash - Joe Knaggs. Namm CE22F”. Nowhere on the Internet have I found that CE22 2HH were made of ash, only alder. I haven't seen this color anywhere either.

The original pickups have not been preserved.

Maybe one of the experts of this site can give some additional information?

It is entirely possible that you are correct.

My '95 Custom22 was started in the older factory in Annapolis, and finished in Stevensville. Paul himself verified that fact when I asked him about it and told him the completion date.

If it was a NAMM guitar, it would get more attention than a regular, off the rack guitar. That could also account for the difference in dates.
Then again, my CE22 was started in 1999 and finished in 2000 making it a Gen Z.:)
GREAT color, though!

<edit> Oh! Probably had the nut changed at some point.

Last edited:
I like that a lot. That looks like a great guitar. PRS customer service can probably tell you what it originally had for pickups. As stated that is a NAMM guitar that Joe Knaggs either built or was very involved with.

It is not uncommon to have the neck and body built on different dates. Since the neck shows February, it's not surprising. Yours was built by a semi-famous guy (Joe Knaggs) for the NAAM show wich is also kind of a special run. Probably for the 96 NAAM show.

That's a keeper.

Thank you for your comments. What confused me was that it was ash without a middle single coil. It sounds bassy, more like mahogany than alder

Thank you for your comments. What confused me was that it was ash without a middle single coil. It sounds bassy, more like mahogany than alder
Beautiful guitar! Ash body is very cool!

Looks like a real score! Congratulations!

So someone replaced the pickups and replaced the rotary switch too?

Are you going to restore it? Or leave it as is?

Mine appears to be alder.

Similar guitar.

Last edited:
I don’t think it EVER was a Swamp ash Special.
OG CE‘s have the black overlay on the headstock, which this one has, SAS’s don’t and are just maple.

Similar guitar. Mine is a '97. Thought it was older but it's not.

Has the original pickups but someone apparently changed the locking Schaller tuners to non locking Schallers.

Thanks. Nice guitar!

Similar guitar. Mine is a '97. Thought it was older but it's not.

Has the original pickups but someone apparently changed the locking Schaller tuners to non locking Schallers.

Thanks. Nice guitar!
I don't have a goal to make "all original". I've already bought a guitar like this. But now there are Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge and Gibson super 57 neck. I installed new cts pots and switchcraft switch/jack, made Prs wiring with split coil. I removed the peeling chrome from the saddles. Now the guitar is at the luthier for a week to work on frets. At first I put Tremonti treble in bridge, but Suhr DA turned out to be better here. I will put Tremonti treble on singlecut S2, which I am waiting for with reverb.

I don’t think it EVER was a Swamp ash Special.
OG CE‘s have the black overlay on the headstock, which this one has, SAS’s don’t and are just maple.
Correct. It's a NAMM guitar. They do different things to make them interesting. They chose Ash for that reason I guess.

Thank you all for the answers. This is my first PRS after fender/gibson/Ibanez/music man, and I really liked this guitar. Now I'm waiting for the s2 singlecut 2020 elephant gray, and I'll put the Tremonti treble/Gibson 57 there.

Why, oh why, do they not do more sparkle finishes? I'm ready to throw my wallet at the first dealer to do a Wood Library run of sparkle finished Custom 24's (with modern 24-08 / 35th Anniversary electronics) with natural backs and either rosewood or satin maple (roasted, preferably) necks.

Last edited:
Back