1987 PRS Electric Pearl White Information

Joseph Barron

I have a Pearl White Paul Reed Smith guitar that I purhased back in the early 1990s. It has a solid While finish (no grain is visible). It has a satin finished neck that is blond and on the hear stock it says:

"PRS Electric" - It does NOT have Paul Reed Smith signature, just PRS Electric in between the tuning pegs.

What is most odd, is that the serial number is

And is stamped at the top of the back of the head stock. Very clearly marked.

It has the standard PRS shape of the time, solid body, 24 Frets (dots), black humbucker Pickups, the PRS Tremlo system and the locking tuning pegs.

It looks like the original owner replaced the 5 position volume control style pickup selector with a 3 position toggle. It has a single volume and single tone control.

The case says PRS and then Paul Reed Smith.

I've searched the Internet and can find no additional information on this model. I believe its a lower end model from that era, but don't know the value. It is much better built than the sub 1000 models of the past decade or so.

It has played great for years and has been the equiv of having a Les Paul Studio model.

Can anyone point me toward any resources on this instrument.

Regards,

Joe

I have a Pearl White Paul Reed Smith guitar that I purhased back in the early 1990s. It has a solid While finish (no grain is visible). It has a satin finished neck that is blond and on the hear stock it says:

"PRS Electric" - It does NOT have Paul Reed Smith signature, just PRS Electric in between the tuning pegs.

What is most odd, is that the serial number is

And is stamped at the top of the back of the head stock. Very clearly marked.

It has the standard PRS shape of the time, solid body, 24 Frets (dots), black humbucker Pickups, the PRS Tremlo system and the locking tuning pegs.

It looks like the original owner replaced the 5 position volume control style pickup selector with a 3 position toggle. It has a single volume and single tone control.

The case says PRS and then Paul Reed Smith.

I've searched the Internet and can find no additional information on this model. I believe its a lower end model from that era, but don't know the value. It is much better built than the sub 1000 models of the past decade or so.

It has played great for years and has been the equiv of having a Les Paul Studio model.

Can anyone point me toward any resources on this instrument.

Regards,

Joe

You might be able to call PRS directly with the serial number for official info.

Sounds like a 1988 CE24, before the black headstock/small script logo. The serial no. 870086 would then translate to:

8 = '88
7 designates CE model
0086 = CE number 86.

If you don't like it you can send it to me ...:flute:

Sorry, I actually really loved this guitar for the heavier stuff in my studio. Nice tone, fast fret board and consistent sound.

The three way switch was stock with that particular guitar. I have one from 1989. They are very nice guitars. I had the three-way switch switched to a five way:

Last edited:
That's no economy-built guitar. It's a real-deal, full-on, PRS. Lots of forum members are into these.

Back