Help me choose a PRS electric please

trevjo7

Dear all,
Obviously I'm new to the 'PRS World' and am therefore seeking your wisdom. I'm looking to purchase a PRS electric that meets the following criteria:

- solid body, six string
- tremelo
- budget to £2000
- primarily humbucker with options for single coil facility

The genres I'm hoping to use it for are Rock, Jazz, Ambient.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Look here, very good!

No affiliation with any of these.

I threw the last one as a bit of a curveball.

Yea, used you should be able to find tons of CE24s for that money, which would hit all of your criteria. If you want a set neck, I would recommend looking for a Custom 22 Trem, as they typically go for less money than the Custom 24s.

This is if you want a core series. If you are OK with an SE or an S2, you can pretty much have your pick of anything.

If a double cut is what you like, I would look for a used DGT or 594. These are probably my two most played PRS guitars. I have been playing the Studio a lot since I just got it and we are still in the honeymoon phase.

If a double cut is what you like, I would look for a used DGT or 594. These are probably my two most played PRS guitars. I have been playing the Studio a lot since I just got it and we are still in the honeymoon phase.
He said trem and at $2K both of those will probbaly be tough, depending on the UK market prices. I'd lean towards a Cu24 or Cu22, CE, preferably old but if he wants newer they're good guitars too..A SCT would fit for singlecut with trem. Can't remember if the SCT splits?

Could probably find two s2 for around budget, 594 and a standard? Definitely would be looking at standards, including core. That's where I wish I had started my PRS journey.

Edit- core Swamp Ash Special for sure too.

One thing you may want to consider is whether scale length makes a difference. The majority that you'll probably consider are either 24.5xx" which includes the SC245 and McCartys (after 2010) though most of those are stoptails or 25" which is almost everything else.

At your price limit you'll get way more value buying used and the options I'd strongly consider are DGT, Cu22 and Cu24 or a CE if you don't mind a bolt-on neck. Maybe an S2 but you may start wanting a core soon. And if at all possible try some of the models out and you'll know pretty quickly what you like best and then take your time getting the right one from the used market.

Back