HELP: The opposite of a PRS McCarty 594 Hollowbody II?

OK...

We can see they are Seymour Duncans in there, But which ones ? AND what do they do different from stock
Teles ?

Beautiful guitar BTW ...
The bridge is a Jerry Donahue remake of his 52 Tele pickup. It has that edge the original pickups had, the ones with the staggered poles. Bite without the ice-pick highs. The neck pickup is one of SDs original mini-humbuckers, with a little more depth and volume than the standard Tele neck pickup, it’s a good match for the aggressive tone of the bridge pickup. Between the two of them, you can cover a huge range of Tele tones. Best sounding and most versatile Tele I’ve ever owned, and the only one I’ve kept!

Last edited:
I got a American pro II tele a few months ago and it is way different than any other guitar that I have. I’m really impressed with the very different sounds that such a simple design can produce. I wasn’t expecting to be blown away but it really over delivers at a very modest price. Build quality is very good on it. It has over delivered and is priced at a level that I would feel very comfortable with taking anywhere.

im a new player so take that for what it’s worth but I do have 8 different guitars to compare it against. Of the PRS guitars I have I’d say Paul’s guitar.

Lipstick and ashtrays
CK_583ElsaPickups.JPG

I prefer something different than a PRS simply because I already own one.
Meh, wrong forum for the question, really. Or at least wrong sub-forum. This is the forum for PRS guitars - maybe take the question to the "General Discussion" sub-forum. Asking here you are naturally going to get suggestions for other PRS models.

The Silver Sky is the least "Traditional PRS-sounding PRS a la CU24" that IMHO ticks all your boxes, and frankly I would prefer to stay in the PRS family myself.

Otherwise just get a Strat or Tele, as suggested by others.

Which qualities opposite of PRS do you like?

There are lots of opposites. There are junky guitars. There are guitars that sound way different, like a Strat or Tele. There are metal guitars with active pickups.

The question is too all-encompassing.

Meh, wrong forum for the question, really. Or at least wrong sub-forum. This is the forum for PRS guitars
I respect your opinion but I disagree: let's say you have a Mesa Boogie amp and looking for new sounds you want to buy a totally different amp. Would you ask for help on a Marshall forum, on a Fender forum or on a Mesa forum? I would ask on a Mesa forum.

The Silver Sky is the least "Traditional PRS-sounding PRS a la CU24" that IMHO ticks all your boxes, and frankly I would prefer to stay in the PRS family myself.
Otherwise just get a Strat or Tele, as suggested by others.
I tried a Fender Tele Ultra this morning, I didn't fall in love with it, if you're all suggesting me the silver sky / strat maybe I should try some

I respect your opinion but I disagree: let's say you have a Mesa Boogie amp and looking for new sounds you want to buy a totally different amp. Would you ask for help on a Marshall forum, on a Fender forum or on a Mesa forum? I would ask on a Mesa forum.

Interesting perspective. I wouldn't ask someone about a different guitar to buy here, if for no other reason than respect for my host.

I suppose that's kind of old-fashioned thinking on my part.

@MrSuperstar Give that Silver Sky a go, seriously. I now have both a SS and a 594 HBII and can say firsthand that they are those two completely different kids from the same home, but they still have the qualities of their good parents.

Totally different, linked by quality build and playability. I think you’ll find you don’t need to wander far from the tree to find different fruit. :cool:

If I were you I would not dismiss other guitars from PRS.
Once you start playing your PRS the one you just spent good money on will get less and less play.
I am going to suggest a few PRS that would totally be a different experience
408 - Pauls Guitar - Brett Mason Sig
Santana
S2 Vela or S2 Studio
509 or 513
305 - DC3 - NF3
Silver Sky

If you must go Non PRS I would look at

The New Brett Mason Tele or the New Esquire
Gibson Firebird
A Strat - I like the Robert Cray Sig ( hardtail :) ) or the Jeff Beck Sig

Happy Hunting

G&L made a korina ASAT (their Tele-style) with P90s and a tune-o-matic bridge. I have one, which sounds absolutely wicked. I'd play it more, but it causes quite a bit of forearm discomfort when I play it while seated (and after I lost a lot of weight). Mine was a limited version, but I've seen a few of them for sale, and G&L has also made variations, including a Tribute, I believe.

Anyway, I've seen quite a few interesting ASAT variations, and a lot of other manufacturers--including some custom builders--have versions of Teles and Strats.

Although now that I think of it, didn't PRS make a Korina Mira with soapbars? I'd better not try to look for one.

Back