HELP: The opposite of a PRS McCarty 594 Hollowbody II?

MrSuperstar

Blues Lawyer
Hi guys, I'm fresh from an order of a Private Stock McCarty 594 Hollowbody II and at home I live with a brother who is also a guitarist.

Since:
- he would like his first "serious instrument"
- I have to wait 15 months for the private stock arrival
- I will absolutely not let him get his little hands on my Private Stock
- I need something "to go" for my gigs
- the genres we play are extremely similar: 80-90 rock, blues, some jazz.
we had both thought about pooling the budget (something around 2500 USD) and buying one instrument to both use and obviously I don't want a "duplicate" of the 594 HB II.

So I thought I'd ask you:
the opposite of an hollowbody with humbuckers splittable in single coils I would say solid body with P90 (am I wrong?).
the opposite of maple top and back I would say mahogany (am I wrong?)

With these characteristics, I came up with the Jim Root Jazzmaster, but I would change pickups (I hate EMGs), or an SG with Maestro Vibrola? A Springer Spartan Jr?

I prefer something different than a PRS simply because I already own one.
I will wait for your help and suggestions!

Last edited:
Silver Sky is probably the most different in PRS world, but I would have no issue owning a Custom 24 alongside a HBII as “different enough”. Other “different” models that come to mind if you’re ok with used are: triple soapbar, Brent Mason, or swamp ash special.

I'd say the Opposite of a 594 HB is a Strat...

Different woods, Different Scale Length, Different Pick-ups, Different Bridge etc etc

I’d agree with those above that a Silver Sky would be the farthest from a 594 HBII, and would best cover SRV blues and some of the styles you list. The neck is also dramatically different. A P-90 guitar is also a versatile pickup package, leaning more toward the LT pickup tone of the 594, but sounding distinctly more midrangey and forward. A Mira Soapbar might be a good package for a different setup, though you’ll need to find a used one. Speaking of “no longer made, but worth a search,” the NF3 is a spectacular instrument, and the Narrowfield pickups give it a sound all its own in a Strat-ish appearance package.

Just so you know, even a solid body 594 will sound different from your HBII. Nowhere near as different as a Silver Sky, but from everything I can tell (my HB 594 is due in tomorrow, so I’m going on research) the hollowbody lends a distinct tone that gives the 594 HB its own tonal space in the line. I love my 594 Soapbar, and a guitar like that will get you completely familiar with the 594 scale and neck feel for when your PS arrives. It is, hands down, the best P90 equipped guitar I’ve ever played, so I can easily recommend it. Just a thought!

But, diametrically opposed... Silver Sky.

I vote for used custom 24, or new CE24. Something that is not "too nice" to lend to your bro or gig, and is super versatile and is kind of opposite to the HBII. Also 24 frets instead of 22, and arguably the PRS signature sound. Only thing is I don't play jazz so not sure how well it does with those tones, but rock is covered. You can split the coils though.

I'd agree with what's been said above...a Custom 24 or CE24 will be different enough and versatile enough to where it's not a "one-trick pony" guitar. If you're wanting to venture out of the maple/mahogany combo, you could try the Standard 24....those can be had fairly cheap on the used market. Or, if you've got the coin, a Wood Library model offered through a dealer could provide a vast variety of tone wood options.

A Silver Sky would (to me) be the opposite of your Private Stock. But for the context in which you will be using, a Custom 24 would suit your needs VERY well.

guys first of all thanks to all of you for the suggestions you are giving me.
But, as I wrote in my OP, I prefer something that is not PRS branded for the simple reason that I already own one and would like to have more choices.

Enough people of you have already suggested me to switch to a Silver Sky (Strats).
Temporarily excluding the Strat, what else comes to your mind that is far away from the 594 HB II?

guys first of all thanks to all of you for the suggestions you are giving me.
But, as I wrote in my OP, I prefer something that is not PRS branded
Okay, well, this is the PRS forum, so we're all gonna be like "dude, get another PRS" because in the immortal words of Sergio, "all other guitars are stupid". :)

My above statement is half serious, half joking, and another half serious. THAT'S 150% for those who are counting that sort of thing! I was gonna suggest a 2003 Santana SE, 'cuz I have one and it's the best bang for the buck backup guitar in the world. Or an Kanye West might interrupt and say, "of all time, OF ALL TIME"

I'm feeling a little loopy this morning. I have studio time this afternoon and my daughter dropped a plate on the floor this morning and my ears are ringing like a motherf***er and goddamnitalltohellsomuch I'm just a little upset.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...tar-pacific-blue-sparkle-sweetwater-exclusive

As far as Non-PRS branded....and there are other color choices.
CutHSSPBS-large.jpg.auto.webp

However I'd say really consider a used PRS floyd CU24 as well....that will pair great with the 594.

I'd say the Opposite of a 594 HB is a Strat...

Different woods, Different Scale Length, Different Pick-ups, Different Bridge etc etc
That was my first thought too!

If you really want to get crazy, do what I did and grab a Tele Deluxe Troublemaker II. A little bit Tele, a little bit LP and a lot of not like anything else. I’m loving mine.

Back