Please Help a Confused and Overwhelmed Newb

All you have to remember is no parallel 5ths, thirds resolve up, and sevenths resolve down and you'll sound like Bach in no time.
No parallel 5ths???? :eek: That's my signature move!!

The S2 594 seems to tick a lot of my boxes. It’s a little more than I’d like to spend, though, since they don’t make an SE.

How do y’all think I’d like an SE Custom 24-08? Shares a fair number of characteristics, seems.
There both quite different guitars between a 594 and Cu24.

I’m delusional, but not quite so delusional that I think I’ll ever sound anything like JM or JG or (fill in the blank), at least not for more than about four seconds at a time, if I’m lucky, some day, maybe. Hopefully I sound good enough at some point to sound good enough to not be embarrassed in front of my wife or someone else who likes me. I’ll practice hard and do a lot of hoping.

So….I’ve got a little more than a grand to blow on my first guitar. Where would you point me?
First place I would point you is inward. Yes, all of us spend countless hours striving to sound like X, Y or Z, and I’m not going to say that’s wrong. I’d say that we might learn more faster attempting to cop someone’s tone or licks than by any other method. Also not throwing shade on learning the right way with lessons and study. What I’m saying is that ultimately, you need to find “your voice”; Your style and sound. And be confident enough to be you, no matter what you’re playing. (Stepping off the soapbox)

Now to your question. Test drive many, many guitars. Buy the one that pulls the music out of you. (Most likely it will be a PRS) The SEs and S2s might be a good place to start.

Last edited:
Okay, people. I made the move on a s2 594 and it’s on its way!

Anyone want to talk me out of a Katana for my stated purposes? Knowing my nature, I suspect I won’t keep it for long, but it fits the budget for now.
Good on ya!
I think Katana might be a good first stop.

I really don't hear voices. I do this stuff to add a little humor to the mix here.

“Who said that?!”

“Okay that wasn’t even funny!!”

No parallel 5ths???? :eek: That's my signature move!!

“You’ve got the Power”

Okay, people. I made the move on a s2 594 and it’s on its way!

Anyone want to talk me out of a Katana for my stated purposes? Knowing my nature, I suspect I won’t keep it for long, but it fits the budget for now.

Can I tempt you with a Blackstar HT5r?

Tube amp on a budget.

I’m listening….

My pops-in-law has one. A lot of amp for the money. Great for practice volumes being 5watts, however it’s got some power if needed.

Our other guitarist uses one for band rehearsals. He actually prefers it to his Blackstar HT 40 (watts).

Compact, easy to dial in a nice tone.

Okay it’s not a modelling amp, but that’s what I like. Plug and play, no fuss.

Okay it’s not a modelling amp, but that’s what I like. Plug and play, no fuss.

I would have to second this ideology. Not that I'm a "less is more" person but I do think having limited but GOOD choices and sounds sets you up for a better time in the future.

I'd also place emphasis on note choice over gear choice. Bad notes through good gear sounds bad. Bad notes through bad gear sounds like guitar center on sale day.

I would have to second this ideology. Not that I'm a "less is more" person but I do think having limited but GOOD choices and sounds sets you up for a better time in the future.

I'd also place emphasis on note choice over gear choice. Bad notes through good gear sounds bad. Bad notes through bad gear sounds like guitar center on sale day.

Sometimes we can get too hung up on features and choices, rather than just learning and playing.

Well that’s my experience :rolleyes:

Sometimes we can get too hung up on features and choices, rather than just learning and playing.

Well that’s my experience :rolleyes:
Two things that learning bass guitar has taught me (yes, I play bass - don’t hate me), are:
1. Every note should be important. If it’s not important, don’t play it.
2. What you don’t play (the breathing space, syncopation and groove) is more important than what you play.

Two things that learning bass guitar has taught me (yes, I play bass - don’t hate me), are:
1. Every note should be important. If it’s not important, don’t play it.
2. What you don’t play (the breathing space, syncopation and groove) is more important than what you play.

No “bass hate” here! People always assume you can play bass because you play guitar. It’s a different beast altogether.

Now if you’d said you also played drums……

……;)

I went to the local GC to pick up a Katana…and left without an amp and with lots of questions.

They had lots of Katanas, new and used. They also had—and tried to sell me—a fender mustang lt25, which was honestly a lot of fun and easy.

But, as my good friend said, I’m more of a “tube amp and 10 pedals guy,” even though I don’t fully appreciate all the connotations of what that means.

So, can we talk about a path forward for a “hippie on a budget” looking for a first tube amp? The Blackstar ht5 recommended above could be in the running, but are there others that would allow me to start simple and grow into things while I work on not sucking.

:)

I went to the local GC to pick up a Katana…and left without an amp and with lots of questions.

They had lots of Katanas, new and used. They also had—and tried to sell me—a fender mustang lt25, which was honestly a lot of fun and easy.

But, as my good friend said, I’m more of a “tube amp and 10 pedals guy,” even though I don’t fully appreciate all the connotations of what that means.

So, can we talk about a path forward for a “hippie on a budget” looking for a first tube amp? The Blackstar ht5 recommended above could be in the running, but are there others that would allow me to start simple and grow into things while I work on not sucking.
My only advice, that I give anybody buying an instrument for a learner or growing guitarist:
DON’T BUY CHEAP!
Buy quality just within or just outside of your price range. Why handcuff your learning with an instrument or amp that doesn’t please your ear and/or hands. It will hamper learning and won’t have any resale value. It’s better to save for something good than to buy something cheap.

Back