• New 2019 at $3,600

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • New 2019 Ten Top at $4,250

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Used 2018 Ten Top at $3,800

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters

JJDon

I've committed to getting a PRS McCarty 594 double cutaway in Charcoal Burst as a guitar I could keep for the rest of my life. Now the hard part is finding a top I like at a "decent price." Id prefer new, but if I buy new off of Sweetwater, I won't have a pic to see the top before buying and I could also get a used one for several hundred dollars less. So I'm open to new or used. However, I'm hoping I can talk some of these prices down. Out of these four choices, and at those price points (before negotiating and including shipping) tell me which ones you all think look the best and would be worth it?

Used 2018 at $3,200

New 2019 at $3,600

New 2019 Ten Top at $4,250

Used 2018 Ten Top at $3,800

I like the new 10 top from 2019. Dig the vertical pattern. Plus, warranty....not that you’ll need it. Not sure about your comment regarding Sweetwater. They post actual guitar pics and weights. Unless you’re talking about having them order one if they don’t have in stock.

Based strictly on looks, the 2018 used 10-top. Unless the photo is "off" the 2019 10-top does not qualify as a 10-top to me.

I like the new 10 top from 2019. Dig the vertical pattern. Plus, warranty....not that you’ll need it. Not sure about your comment regarding Sweetwater. They post actual guitar pics and weights. Unless you’re talking about having them order one if they don’t have in stock.

I wasn't sure if the PRS guitars they sell on Sweetwater are the actual ones in the pictures or if those were stock pictures of the guitar. I don't believe they have McCarty's in stock right now, so they maybe transitioning to the 2020 models.

Based strictly on looks, the 2018 used 10-top. Unless the photo is "off" the 2019 10-top does not qualify as a 10-top to me.

I like the 2019 10 top the most at first, but I'm not sure if it being a 10 top justifies the price kind of like you're saving.

I like the 2018's based on looks. Voted the used non-10 top because the 10-top doesn't look $600 better than the other one.

Yea, you're probably right. The 10 top 2018 was actually my least favorites of them all. I like the non 10 top 2018, I just don't like how you can see the rings from the wood in the top.

If you are buying from Sweetwater they post pics of the actual guitar in stock. If they have more than one you can compare them. If it’s not in stock it will clearly say that on the listing. I’ve had good experiences with them if it matters.

If you are buying from Sweetwater they post pics of the actual guitar in stock. If they have more than one you can compare them. If it’s not in stock it will clearly say that on the listing. I’ve had good experiences with them if it matters.

Ah ok, good to know, thanks!

I voted used 2018 ten top purely on looks, because it seems like that matters most. Of the 4, the last looks best to me. When talking about keeping a guitar for life, it’ll probably take more than that. Nonetheless, that’s what I’d go with and I’d see if I could talk down the price a bit.

I voted used 2018 ten top purely on looks, because it seems like that matters most. Of the 4, the last looks best to me. When talking about keeping a guitar for life, it’ll probably take more than that. Nonetheless, that’s what I’d go with and I’d see if I could talk down the price a bit.

+1

You’ve already won because 594s are terrific! :)

2018 10 Top if I had to pick based only on pictures. Haggling recommended. :)

Yea, you're probably right. The 10 top 2018 was actually my least favorites of them all. I like the non 10 top 2018, I just don't like how you can see the rings from the wood in the top.

I get the ring thing. But it's not a 10-top so I wouldn't expect perfection and it's kind of neat how it makes a slight topography map of the top. And in the brighter light picture, it seems to disappear.

I ride the fine line personally between wanting absolute perfection in the grain and something unique like the rings.

What I do like about the 2018s is the balance of light and dark figuring. The new 2019 has too much brown in it for my taste.

Check if the 2019 has the TCI 58/15’s. If not find a 2020 with TCI. My two cents. BTW they all look nice,

Back