What would you suggest?

• Marshall DSL 40CR €670

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boss Katana Artist MkII €665

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Headrush FRFR 112 €289 (overkill for mostly home use?)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Headrush FRFR 108 €225

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
Good to hear the beer is flowing again :)

There's a new boss amp, and guitarist magazine did a youtube review of it. There's one at Thomann about same price, or the new arrival may push the range prices lower or trigger sales.

(It's a good shout to buy any of these second hand too as they are bullet-proof)

https://www.thomann.de/de/boss_nextone_special_guitar_b_stock.htm

I like Helix but if your into boss already then their amps, you can't really go wrong as they are light, sound great and can go low volume.
(I have had a katana)

Good to hear the beer is flowing again :)

There's a new boss amp, and guitarist magazine did a youtube review of it. There's one at Thomann about same price, or the new arrival may push the range prices lower or trigger sales.

(It's a good shout to buy any of these second hand too as they are bullet-proof)

https://www.thomann.de/de/boss_nextone_special_guitar_b_stock.htm

I like Helix but if your into boss already then their amps, you can't really go wrong as they are light, sound great and can go low volume.
(I have had a katana)
Yes, I've seen and looked into the Boss Nextone. It also seems to be a great amp but the Artist seems to fit my needs more after looking at both of these.

My current setup is iRig Stomp I/O into Amplitube 5 MAX into two FRFR-108s... Absolutely happy with it !

Even one FRFR-108 alone is loud enough for entertaining a whole block :p

I'm with Rick. If you have an OX (I do not, so far I haven't needed one, and I have no axe to grind) your amp's potential volume in its sweet spot doesn't matter at all, because you can:

(a) Listen on headphones and make no noise at all;

(b) Or listen through studio monitors at any volume level you're comfortable with;

(c) Or use it as an attenuator with a speaker cabinet at volume levels so low you might find yourself giggling with joy.

It's not cheap. It is, however, the real deal. Pair it with a real deal tube amp, and you are in bizniz.

My current setup is iRig Stomp I/O into Amplitube 5 MAX into two FRFR-108s... Absolutely happy with it !

Even one FRFR-108 alone is loud enough for entertaining a whole block :p

Amplitube 5 with my iRig Stomp into the return of my Peavey is sounding killer. I wonder how much of an improvement to my sound quality output would a FRFR-108 be .

I'm with Rick. If you have an OX (I do not, so far I haven't needed one, and I have no axe to grind) your amp's potential volume in its sweet spot doesn't matter at all, because you can:

(a) Listen on headphones and make no noise at all;

(b) Or listen through studio monitors at any volume level you're comfortable with;

(c) Or use it as an attenuator with a speaker cabinet at volume levels so low you might find yourself giggling with joy.

It's not cheap. It is, however, the real deal. Pair it with a real deal tube amp, and you are in bizniz.

Thanks for the write up I looked into the OX after @RickP mentioned it and I agree with you, @Alnus Rubra it definitely looks like an incredible piece of equipment for getting the most out a tube amp at lower volumes and for home recording. Like you said it is the real deal but unfortunately out of my current budget.

EDIT : So sorry @LSchefman I ment to tag you in response to your post and ended up tagging @Alnus Rubra . With both of you guys being great and helpful and me posting while bartending I messed up a bit there, lol.

Last edited:
Back