What would you suggest?

• Marshall DSL 40CR €670

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boss Katana Artist MkII €665

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Headrush FRFR 112 €289 (overkill for mostly home use?)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Headrush FRFR 108 €225

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Black-Viper75

Just Passing Through
It’s been just over a month since my bar reopened and I’m back at work after a rough 15 month shut down by the pandemic and as expected I’m already thinking “save cash for new gear”. So I’ve started looking for something new amp wise and I could use some help. I got back into playing guitar about two and a half years ago after almost 20 years of not playing because work and life stuff. At the moment I still have my first amp I bought back in ’96. A Peavey Express 112 Transtube. So I think the time may have come for an upgrade.

At first I had a look at the Marshall DSL 40CR but living in an apartment building has me thinking a tube amp may not be the best choice. Next I turned my interest to the Boss Katana Artist MkII which is apartment friendly, has all the effects I’d ever need and a great speaker in its cab. But at the moment I’m using a Boss GT-1 which uses the same modeling and effects as the Katana series into the fx return of my Peavey for modulation effects with a Demon Tube Screamer in the front and I’m really happy with how it’s worked out. Would the Artist be a notable upgrade compared to what I'm using at the moment? Now over the last week I’m thinking of something completely different. A Headrush FRFR. The reason I started toying with the Headrush idea is because I use Amplitube 5 with an iRig Stomp I/O mostly for the ease for home recording and the tones are simply amazing. I’ve got a lot of their amp sim collections: Mesa Boogie, Fender 1&2, Orange, Slash, Hendrix, Dimebag and others. Also I could use the Headrush with my GT-1,too. The only negative with using the FRFR that I can think of is the need of using my laptop for Amplitube.

I play 95% at home with a 5% of jamming with friends and very seldom live pre pandemic. Unfortunately, there is no way that I can try any of this gear out. The music stores in my area don’t have them in shop.

So, what are your opinions? Pros? Con? Other suggestion? Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I know its not one of your choices, so disregard if this is unwanted! The fractal FM3 is a pretty sweet option for jamming at home through headphones, or monitors all the way up to running direct into any venue's PA.

I'd lean towards a Katana, though maybe not the artist. The Mark II Katanas have a power amp in jack on the back, making them work VERY nicely with modelers. In my case I run a Helix LT into it, but it should sound great with the stuff you're using. The key is to disable the cab/IR in the modeler, since you're playing into an actual guitar cab and speaker. In my case with the Helix, I can set the 1/4" output up to bypass the cab/IR, and the XLR goes through the IR straight to FOH if I play out - not that there's been any playing out recently. It also makes a great backup if the modeler goes down, because it is a full featured amp with effects.

I had a Headrush 108, and was really fond of it, but I like the Katana better.

Personally I'm using the Katana 50 MK II, and it's more than loud enough to keep up with my drummer at practice, yet can also be easily reduced to apartment-friendly volume.

I know its not one of your choices, so disregard if this is unwanted! The fractal FM3 is a pretty sweet option for jamming at home through headphones, or monitors all the way up to running direct into any venue's PA.
The FM3 does indeed look sweet but it's been a rough year financially for me making it's price more than what I'd like to spend for the time being.

I'd lean towards a Katana, though maybe not the artist. The Mark II Katanas have a power amp in jack on the back, making them work VERY nicely with modelers. In my case I run a Helix LT into it, but it should sound great with the stuff you're using. The key is to disable the cab/IR in the modeler, since you're playing into an actual guitar cab and speaker. In my case with the Helix, I can set the 1/4" output up to bypass the cab/IR, and the XLR goes through the IR straight to FOH if I play out - not that there's been any playing out recently. It also makes a great backup if the modeler goes down, because it is a full featured amp with effects.

I had a Headrush 108, and was really fond of it, but I like the Katana better.

Personally I'm using the Katana 50 MK II, and it's more than loud enough to keep up with my drummer at practice, yet can also be easily reduced to apartment-friendly volume.
Thanks for that write up. The reason I was considering the Artist over the regular Katanas is because of the Waza speaker and the semi closed cab that the Artist has.

I voted Katana just because of what the peeps on this forum have had to say about them. Plus, I have a buddy who has one and simply loves it. And, you're already familiar with Boss gear since you have the GT.

The FM3 does indeed look sweet but it's been a rough year financially for me making it's price more than what I'd like to spend for the time being.

Thanks for that write up. The reason I was considering the Artist over the regular Katanas is because of the Waza speaker and the semi closed cab that the Artist has.

And that may indeed be a good reason to go with the artist.

Heck, I’m going to go out even farther on a limb than @InTooDeep did!

You have Amplitude 5 to keep you going, so I’m advocating you put your current money in ye olde piggy bank and continue to save until you can buy a Universal Audio Ox Amp Top Box! Now, before y’all get the pitchforks and torches, hear me out…

You have one amp (the Peavey), which will be useless to you forever in your current environment. You want better, more versatile options in the future. You like recording. You own a bar which likely has some sort of PA. You probably have friends with cool amps you’d like to try. You want great effects for playing and recording. Awesome sounding cabinet, micing, and mixing options. Volume control so you can fire up a 100 watt Plexi on 10 and listen to it through headphones in your living room while others watch tv.

The Ox makes all of that possible, and with true, pro-level studio quality. And not only does it give you back your Peavey, it means you can buy or use any amp you want from now on, to your own cabs or virtually, even through your cab, your DAW, and headphones all at the same time. Yes, you can buy a Boss amp for half the price, but it will never sound like a pro amp through an Ox Box, or let you use the amp you already have. If I found myself at the same place you are now, I’d rethink my direction and veer towards opening doors now and down the line. The Ox Box has made every tube amp I own completely useable again at home or playing out. And future purchases no longer include thoughts of whether or not it’s too loud… if the sound is right, I can use it!

Sermon over. :D I'm not affiliated with UA, and I own Boss products. No profit made, or axe to grind.

Last edited:
Although like @InTooDeep & @RickP, we own Fractal products, gonna give a shout out to HeadRush Gigboard for its ease of use and simple screen layout. The intuitive GUI screen takes much less time trying to dial in a good tone than Fractal (which is a tech tweaker's dream/nightmare) for the first several weeks. By contrast, you can learn Gigboard much more quickly and you won't need a computer editing program to help you.

Both the Gigboard and HeadRush FRF108 will cost about $945 together new, tax included. Only thing extra you might need is a good ¼" TRS>TRS cable. The Gigboard has an onboard auto-wah feature, so adding an expression pedal would be unnecessary unless you wish an external volume pedal.

The reason this is being suggested is because HeadRush is much easier to dial in than Fractal. Granted, the Fractal tones are superior. Later on you might step up to Fractal (which at first, is rather daunting), but the HeadRush is a good place to begin...AND, you'll have over 45 amp models to choose from...

Yet for now, I'd say save your money and buy something more your liking later on instead of burning through cash now. You'd be kicking yourself later flipping a lower priced piece of gear realizing the higher priced piece will also provide a wider range of tones...

Interesting suggestions. Thanks. Especially yours @RickP. I'll look into that OX.
@CandidPicker there's an bundle here atm with the Gigboard and FRFR108 for €549 if I were to choose that option.
Here’s a video from Pete Thorn, which is an excellent in-depth dive into the Ox Box. It will give you a good grasp of what it does.

Last edited:
Here’s a video from Pete Thorn, which is an excellent in-depth dive into the Ox Box. It will give you a good grasp of what it does.

Thanks. I'll give it a watch. I can watch Pete Thorn videos all day. I really dig him .

500 Dollars

Thanks for sharing but I need something more hard rock/heavy metal friendly. I really like the app connectivity with this Mustang though.

Yeah for your use case it will probably be hard to beat one of the katanas.
I've just got one of Thomas Blug's bluguitar amp 1 which is really impressive too. All the sounds of classic Marshalls from the 60s through the 70s and 80s seem to be in there. Can play silently or stadium volume. But you would need to buy a separate cab too which adds to your cost

I have a dsl40cr and only play at home. I don’t have a lot to compare it too as the only other amp I have is an older fender dap amp that I keep in my office at home. The Marshall is a great sounding amp. It sounds great when pushed, but to do so it’s very very loud. 95% of the time I have it in the 15 watt setting and still not running where it sounds best. In my opinion it’s a lot of amp for a house. I got the optional foot control which makes it easier to run through the 4 settings. I recommend this. That said it’s an awesome amp and I’m glad that I have it. Unfortunately most days it gets driven much lower than it wants to be.

Yeah for your use case it will probably be hard to beat one of the katanas.
I've just got one of Thomas Blug's bluguitar amp 1 which is really impressive too. All the sounds of classic Marshalls from the 60s through the 70s and 80s seem to be in there. Can play silently or stadium volume. But you would need to buy a separate cab too which adds to your cost
I didn't know about the Bluguitar Amp. I just checked it out on YouTube. Not what I'm looking for but it sounds very good. Guitarists today have so many great options.

I have a dsl40cr and only play at home. I don’t have a lot to compare it too as the only other amp I have is an older fender dap amp that I keep in my office at home. The Marshall is a great sounding amp. It sounds great when pushed, but to do so it’s very very loud. 95% of the time I have it in the 15 watt setting and still not running where it sounds best. In my opinion it’s a lot of amp for a house. I got the optional foot control which makes it easier to run through the 4 settings. I recommend this. That said it’s an awesome amp and I’m glad that I have it. Unfortunately most days it gets driven much lower than it wants to be.
Yeah, I'm giving the neighbors enough hell without adding a Marshall tube amp in my apartment :D

I used to use Katana as a practice amp and I really liked it. It was the first issue and can't see new ones being worst. Great amp, lots on used market too

Back