Help identifying pickups in 1989 custom 24 sig

Bjoe9

Hi. Just acquired this and wondering if members here can give me more info. The pickups aren’t labeled. The solder joints on the pots seem untouched. Can someone identify what pickups these are? Thanks

fRNmfyu.jpg

6YAbqUO.jpg

wd3krBB.jpg

7ZclLPE.jpg

CBBd3Ue.jpg

YcW0J4Y.jpg

The (I assume) treble pickup picture shows a Standard Treble pickup - blank-back version. The giveaway is the two slugs on the non-adjust side that look different. The Standard Treble non-adjust slugs initially (1985) were all magnetic, but to tame the brightness the non-adjust slugs high-E and B were swapped (starting mid-'87) for non-magnentic ones that have very distinctive circular milling marks on the ends. Known as the 'warming mod'. Almost certainly paired with a Standard Bass. I have Sig 243 (also a 1988 guitar) and that has the same pickups in it. Re blank-back version - initially the Standard Treble and Standard Bass were stamped T and B respectively. Shortly after the swap to non-magnetic high-E and B slugs as described they stopped stamping them. (So a few Stamped Ts exist with the warming mod). I've owned a few older PRS so know about the early pickups - not much of a life skill but never mind. If you have a multimeter you can read the PU resistance, which will confirm as much as possible the PUs you have are what they appear to be But almost certainly Standard T and Standard B.

IMG0966.jpeg

Last edited:
The (I assume) treble pickup picture shows a Standard Treble pickup - blank-back version. The giveaway is the two slugs on the non-adjust side that look different. The Standard Treble non-adjust slugs initially (1985) were all magnetic, but to tame the brightness the non-adjust slugs high-E and B were swapped (starting mid-'87) for non-magnentic ones that have very distinctive circular milling marks on the ends. Known as the 'warming mod'. Almost certainly paired with a Standard Bass. I have Sig 243 (also a 1988 guitar) and that has the same pickups in it. Re blank-back version - initially the Standard Treble and Standard Bass were stamped T and B respectively. Shortly after the swap to non-magnetic high-E and B slugs as described they stopped stamping them. (So a few Stamped Ts exist with the warming mod). I've owned a few older PRS so know about the early pickups - not much of a life skill but never mind. If you have a multimeter you can read the PU resistance, which will confirm as much as possible the PUs you have are what they appear to be But almost certainly Standard T and Standard B.

IMG0966.jpeg
Thanks man. Great info.

These are the reading I get. Don’t really see any that match close

Neck first then bridge

bwZDx6T.jpg

uueiebp.jpg
Agree - If the readings are correct I'm not sure - however the bridge PU has to be a Standard Treble (or somethig based on a Standard T) given the high E and B poles. Just to check you're reading them OK, if you read the PU resistance via a plugged in guitar lead (fine for an easy life and good indication if not 100% accurate) then the volume pot needs yo be turned up fully on or you'll get spurious readings. Across a guitar cord mine with Standard T and Standard B read 9.69 treble and 7.99 bass.

Agree - If the readings are correct I'm not sure - however the bridge PU has to be a Standard Treble (or somethig based on a Standard T) given the high E and B poles. Just to check you're reading them OK, if you read the PU resistance via a plugged in guitar lead (fine for an easy life and good indication if not 100% accurate) then the volume pot needs yo be turned up fully on or you'll get spurious readings. Across a guitar cord mine with Standard T and Standard B read 9.69 treble and 7.99 bass.
Ok thanks. Yes the readings are via patch cable. I wasn’t gonna desolder the leads just to get ohm measurements. I’m assuming then the measurements on the chart are not in circuit.

All good. Just wanted to know the ball park what kinda pickups are in this as there’s no labels. Still a beautiful guitar, kinda have fun playing her!

rY1vy1p.jpg

So i was looking at these again. Looks like the bass pickup e and b slugs are normal and not the circular swirl ones on the treble. Did factory sigs ship with miss matched warming mod and regular pickups?

QwHdoSm.jpg

C1trDPh.jpg

So i was looking at these again. Looks like the bass pickup e and b slugs are normal and not the circular swirl ones on the treble. Did factory sigs ship with miss matched warming mod and regular pickups?

QwHdoSm.jpg

C1trDPh.jpg
Yes that's correct - it was just the T pickup that was modified. It's in the back of the PRS Book in the PU section. PRSh explains what they did and why - to warm the sound. I lost my copy in a house move years ago but it was on page 86 or something like that if anyone has a copy (I had the first edition, so page numbers probably changed as the book expanded, plus my memory for page numbers is probably not 100% either).

Yes that's correct - it was just the T pickup that was modified. It's in the back of the PRS Book in the PU section. PRSh explains what they did and why - to warm the sound. I lost my copy in a house move years ago but it was on page 86 or something like that if anyone has a copy (I had the first edition, so page numbers probably changed as the book expanded, plus my memory for page numbers is probably not 100% either).
Ah ok. Thanks

Back