Hello again (now with pics)

Paul - WOW!! When I open this thread, I was not in any mentally prepared to digest viewing these great guitars!! ;)

Love the DC 594 PS from across the pond! That top and finish is AMAZING. My Red Tiger sister to that was really great. The SC 594 SH is great, I really love my Tiger Eye sister to that from JD. Cool that you got the Wildwood DC, Steve did a fantastic job with the 4 he did, I was very close to getting some of those, both the DC's and SC's, as they came in.

That is pretty neat that you and I share some guitars from the different waves of builds that the dealers did!!

It's odd that you never see them both together. I'm not sure who is Bruce Wayne and who is Batman...but they both have some awesome guitars!!!

I only go by the name Pete when I'm in Chicago! ;)

Thanks guys. Pete, hard not to be influenced by your builds/acquisitions on some level! We've crossed paths indirectly with some of the dealers for sure.

Originally I was all about that classic SC style, but Paul and company certainly have changed my view! Well, that and getting older and some minor back issues.

The thicker back DC I just got certainly gives me everything I could want from a classic SC style guitar tone wise, but better ergonomics for me.

They're all great guitars in the end and I still love to see what folks do, especially for custom builds!

Thanks everyone - been hectic the past few days and I have biz travel next week so it will be a bit before I can get more pics posted. Appreciate the kind comments!

ViperDoc, love what you ordered with the feather crotch cocobolo and your ice dragon! Your avatar isn't shabby either!

Maybe EveryAxe can start posting his collection while I'm out of town? :)

IKnowALittle - Brent was one of the masters of the custom runs for sure! I had a third 'Brent' which was the Bahamma Mama MkII SCT (Obeche sandwich) that I traded in for the SC594 SH with JD - I think JD posted a separate thread on it. I never met Brent, but I emailed him when I saw his new Great Guitars online shop earlier this year. He wrote me back and sent me some of the behind the scenes from the Koa Sister build - nice guy!

The PRS community is certainly made up of amazingly nice folks!

Ok, long delay but here's some more pictures...

Knots - poor lighting and bad photo skills...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Also a NGD for me this past week! Price was high for me to say goodbye to my SC594 SH and Koa HBII for this from Brian - guess that makes me a borderline Koa addict now? I simply wasn't playing the HB enough to justify keeping it, so I decided on another round of 'Les is more!'

The Aqua Violet color is much better in person and the top is more 3D than it comes across here. Purfling looks great. Weight balance is among the best I've played yet.

image.jpg

image.jpg[

image.jpg

The knots
image.jpg

image.jpg

After selling my Bahamma Mama, wasn't sure about maple necks - that was an Obeche sandwich with maple top, back and neck and was just too bright tone wise for my tastes. This Collection IX is epic though - really full tone, plenty of low/mid push (must be the gen 3 trem vs gen 2 on Bahamma Mama?) with a bit of brightness from the maple neck, but more like an accent than a full blown feature of the sonic footprint. Should have done this swap sooner! Brian was great to deal with and we had a nice conversation about the sonic footprint of different wood combinations.

Was also asked about a gallery view, again poor lighting and photo skills...lots of flash, wall color is actually a green, but it shows the figure in the tops.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Can see how the SC thickness on the WW DC594 is thicker than my others. The KOA accents show up better on my P22 on the right - very curly pieces.

Killer!!! A fellow Collection and collection geek!

This combination of materials - pink heart paua, MOP/mammoth ivory, and gold is the most beautiful inlay ever IMO. First seen in the Collection I and now the IX. How intricate is the latest iteration.

I'm attaching a video on the Collection series here for your post-enjoyment. Basically you now have something reaaaallly special, the top of the top of the top. Not that private stocks not special, not that core is not special. LOL.

Thanks! Watched this video many, many times. I kept debating about the maple neck. I hear what you're saying - while my P22 is 'only' a PS (blasphemy!) it is truly on par with Ms Violet. Pernie neck, South American hog body and dark as night, perfectly smooth ebony board. And oh, those inlays. But it's the KOA accents that put it over for me! I did mention the koa thing?

For the IX, it's listed as a pattern neck, but it feels better than my other ones - almost like its a little deeper in the middle but slightly more rounded shoulders. Pattern vintage is now my favorite shape, but this one is not far behind. Easy to switch among all of them which is more important for me.

Thanks! the P22 will be passed on to my son some day. Aquamarine is one of my favorite finishes so the entire package was too irrestible. That said, I really enjoy how each guitar has a different tone and vibe about it, but my range of what I like is becoming more narrow the older I get.

Back