Happy Happy Joy Joy

SEVEN? What, do they charge by the artery out there???

I don't even think I could name 7 cardiac arteries!

Glad you're feeling better...

SEVEN? What, do they charge by the artery out there???...

Crazy huh? When I had my cath they found 8 blockages between 80 and 100%. They went in hoping they.could do 4-5, but the surgeon wanted to get them all, so I guess things went well enough that he was able to do 7 grafts. He was pretty happy about it. I am, too!

If memory serves, two blockages were in one artery.

the weird thing is that I wasn't having chest pain or anything before I was diagnosed, and I felt fine as you know when I saw everyone in Maryland. Little did I know I was a walking time bomb!

Last edited:
Fantastic news Les!!! Great to hear you are on the fast track to a full recovery. This place does get a little boring when your not challenging/educating us all with your unique insights and experience.

It's absolutely fantastic you are back on the go - a combination of great care and your extremely positive attitude. Keep on rockin'!

Actually, they make the choice of how many bypasses when you're unconscious, but I do like the ouija board decor on that guitar. Too bad it's not a PRS!

You got put to sleep for that?

Wuss.

As a special extra, they took the Slawson cutoff and cut off my Slawson.

So, minor surgery is what you're saying?

Crazy huh? When I had my cath they found 8 blockages between 80 and 100%. They went in hoping they.could do 4-5, but the surgeon wanted to get them all, so I guess things went well enough that he was able to do 7 grafts. He was pretty happy about it. I am, too!

the weird thing is that I wasn't having chest pain or anything before I was diagnosed, and I felt fine as you know when I saw everyone in Maryland. Little did I know I was a walking time bomb!

I used to work with a guy who was into ballroom dancing. Very thin, in good physical condition. Said he started having some shortness of breath, so he went to see a doc, they ordered some tests, and told him he had a problem with a valve that was calcifying. They told him he would need surgery on it. He said, "No problem, I'll schedule it..." and the doctor cut him off and said, "No, you don't understand - you're going to have surgery. Now. As in it's time to start prepping." He said that was when it started to sink in. After the surgery, the doc told him that as soon as they touched the valve, it disintegrated. Doc told him if it had happened outside of surgery, anyone would have thought it was a heart attack and probably done CPR and it wouldn't have mattered.

My cousin died a few years ago from an aortic dissection (the same thing that killed John Ritter). She was at her son's hockey game and felt like she had a bad case of the flu. They stopped at a hospital and apparently they thought the same thing and she went home. Collapsed later that night.

So believe me when I tell you how glad I am you got taken care of!

My pal had similar operation to yours, diagnosis came out of the blue from feeling shortness of breath, and it was great to see new spring in his step after a recovery period.

All the best in your recovery Les, great days are here and ahead, enjoy.

Congrats on your recovery. I know you will be making great music again shortly!

I happen to know Beaumont Hospital - My son was born there - and there were complications - and the team there did a great job! This was over 22 years ago. (My wife & I spent 3 "winters" in Rochester Hills Mi:biggrin:).

Great news Les! Picking up the Hammer​ again is probably the best medicine for a continued speedy recovery!

Thanks guys! I'm marveling at the advances medicine's made in recent years. I had a friend who had open heart surgery at Mayo maybe 10-15 years ago for a congenital defect, and he told me that he was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and then it took two months to get where I am now, after only 2 1/2 weeks.

I think he was a little pissed about it! :flute:

My grandfather was one of the first triples done I think in the 70's. Medicine has indeed advanced quite well. Nice to see you are recovering quickly.

For those of us between the ages of 35 and 50, this is when this stuff generally happens. So, make sure you exercise occasionally, keep the stress down, and eat at least some veggies( ugh, I know)

Just curious...did they crack your chest? I know that some surgeons are going in robotically now.

Also, do you have any veins left in your leg???? Isn't that where the graft material comes from?? 7 grafts is a lot of material!

Back