Guitar strap

Summer

I know this sounds petty but I can’t find a 2 or 3 inch premium leather strap for my Private Stock. The guitar was incredibly expensive and if she breaks loose I’ll freak.
Buttons are so low the nice thick premium leather straps won’t work. Too thick.
Any suggestions?
Thought about a nice thick strap
and installing locks.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.

I know this sounds petty but I can’t find a 2 or 3 inch premium leather strap for my Private Stock. The guitar was incredibly expensive and if she breaks loose I’ll freak.
Buttons are so low the nice thick premium leather straps won’t work. Too thick.
Any suggestions?
Thought about a nice thick strap
and installing locks.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.

I use these on all of my guitars.

https://www.ethoscustombrands.com

On the poly coat (or V-12) I either get them over the button, or take the button off and reinsert with the strap in place, and leave them on. On the Nitro finished guitars I use strap locks so I don't risk the leather and nitro reacting with each other.

Will check it out, thank you.
Have two Franklin straps. Great straps but I’ll check out Levy. Franklin fits my Les Pauls and Strats but not PRS.
Thanks again.

I use these on all of my guitars.

https://www.ethoscustombrands.com

On the poly coat (or V-12) I either get them over the button, or take the button off and reinsert with the strap in place, and leave them on. On the Nitro finished guitars I use strap locks so I don't risk the leather and nitro reacting with each other.

Thanks. Will check em out.
Appreciate it.

I put the new Schaller S-locks on my PS. They will fit on pretty much any strap and are super secure. They haven’t loosened, buttons haven’t backed out and they’re quiet. Some people worry about the button screws being slightly larger diameter than the PRS screws but it’s not a huge difference. It is enough that they screw in and stay secure which is the most important thing. The way I look at it is that if you asked PRS to install them on the initial build, they would. Worrying about if it devalues the guitar, is a waste of time. That would be minimal and for the collector who’s worried about selling the guitar rather than the player who’s actually concerned about the guitar staying on their person. I bought and spec’d mine to play it and I want it secure hanging over my shoulder. YMMV.

Will check these out.
A lot of players using the new
Daddarrio “ned Steinberger “ design locks as well. Will check them both out.
Thanks much.

I put the new Schaller S-locks on my PS. They will fit on pretty much any strap and are super secure. They haven’t loosened, buttons haven’t backed out and they’re quiet. Some people worry about the button screws being slightly larger diameter than the PRS screws but it’s not a huge difference. It is enough that they screw in and stay secure which is the most important thing. The way I look at it is that if you asked PRS to install them on the initial build, they would. Worrying about if it devalues the guitar, is a waste of time. That would be minimal and for the collector who’s worried about selling the guitar rather than the player who’s actually concerned about the guitar staying on their person. I bought and spec’d mine to play it and I want it secure hanging over my shoulder. YMMV.

Are the screw sizes on S Locks similar to size PRS uses? Don’t wanna dig deep with screws that are alot longer.
Similar in size?

I’m not into strap locks - have never needed them with PRS stock buttons.

I’ve found two firms making straps that I think compliment my PS models. I wanted simple, clean design, finely made straps with high end leathers, and because I’m a klutz, no metal parts to bang against the guitar!

The German company Richter makes a strap called the Springbreak that uses premium nappa leather finished to a very soft hand, but the inner leather layers are nice and firm. The thing has kind of a BMW/Porsche/Mercedes quality that’s hard to put into words, but you know it when you see it. The design is simple and clean.

There’s memory foam padding inside, so the strap is extremely comfortable, and has an ingenious system that lets you customize the length beyond most straps. On request for no charge, Richter will cut the buttonhole slit 1” to easily fit the PRS strap button. I’ve had two for probably 4 years, they’re elegant, wear like iron, and aren’t all that expensive. There isn’t any metal on the strap to bang against your guitar on this model. The leather on the ends is layered and firm enough that the buttonholes don’t stretch out and get too loose. There are three widths, the Springbreak I, II, and III.

https://www.richterstraps.com/screen/page/springbreak-1/language/en

I’ve also found a strap by the UK company Heistercamp that’s made from those wonderfully thick and aromatic pull-up leathers that you usually find only on high end English briefcases, gun cases, etc. It’s so nice I had to get one for my son. The quality of the leather and workmanship kind of blew my mind.

While the one I have is too thick for the stock strap button (I use it with my bass), they now offer straps made from what they call “super soft” leather that will fit. They will also custom-cut the buttonhole length (email them on their contact email and they’ll tell you how). They have a model that doesn’t have metal on it. If you want to keep the strap button stock be sure to order the super-soft, and not the pull-up leather.

https://www.heistercamp.co.uk/

Last edited:
I’m not into strap locks - have never needed them with PRS stock buttons.

I’ve found two firms making straps that I think compliment my PS models. I wanted simple, clean design, finely made straps with high end leathers, and because I’m a klutz, no metal parts to bang against the guitar!

The German company Richter makes a strap called the Springbreak that uses premium nappa leather finished to a very soft hand, but the inner leather layers are nice and firm. The thing has kind of a BMW/Porsche/Mercedes quality and design simplicity.

There’s memory foam padding inside, so the strap is extremely comfortable, and has an ingenious system that lets you customize the length beyond most straps. On request for no charge, Richter will cut the buttonhole slit 1” to easily fit the PRS strap button. I’ve had two for probably 4 years, they’re elegant, wear like iron, and aren’t all that expensive. There isn’t any metal on the strap to bang against your guitar on this model. The leather on the ends is layered and firm enough that the buttonholes don’t stretch out and get too loose.

https://www.richterstraps.com/screen/page/springbreak-1/language/en

I’ve also found a strap by the UK company Heistercamp that’s made from those wonderfully thick and aromatic pull-up leathers that you usually find only on high end English briefcases, gun cases, etc. It’s so nice I had to get one for my son. The quality of the leather and workmanship kind of blew my mind.

While the one I have is too thick for the stock strap button (I use it with my bass), they now offer straps made from what they call “super soft” leather that will fit. They will also custom-cut the buttonhole length (email them on their contact email and they’ll tell you how). They have a model that doesn’t have metal on it. If you want to keep the strap button stock be sure to order the super-soft, and not the pull-up leather.

https://www.heistercamp.co.uk/

Thanks. Will take a look.
Just curious, why no locks?

Thanks. Will take a look.
Just curious, why no locks?

I’ve been playing since 1967, and have never had a guitar fall off a strap, even with the smaller buttons that come on other guitars. I gigged with the old ‘65 SG SPL. I still have for many years, so it’s not like I only have experience playing guitar in my basement. If you’re planning on jumping around and doing acrobatics on stage with your PS, well, maybe you need them.

The PRS strap buttons do a stellar job. Seat the strap by giving it a little tug once you get it over the button hole, and check to make sure all the material is tucked under the button. I don’t think a high quality leather strap will accidentally fall off; maybe the thin, junky leathers will have issues, but everyone has their own take on this stuff.

Even John Mayer’s tech says he gigs with the standard PRS buttons.

Also, strap locks are made of rattly, low grade, pressed metal; and I’ve seen them come apart (my son had his straplocks fall off so many times that he began using duck tape to keep them on while on tour, which makes me crazy, but there you have it, plus he thinks the beautiful strap I got him is too nice to tour with, so there’s that).

Last edited:
I have a number of PRS guitars. I do NOT like their buttons. The Schallers are dependable, look good, and are EASY to use. Highly recommend.

I’ve seen both Schaller and Dunlops come apart with my own two eyes. Just sayin’.

On the other hand, if you don’t like PRS buttons, I understand why you use them.

Back