Check your 3rd-party-installed strap pins (buttons) & screws!

shinksma

What? I get a title?
As some may remember, I acquired an early Bass-5 for my wife. It came a bit rode hard and put up wet, but that's OK, it plays very nicely.

It came with Dunlop strap locks installed on the body (but no locks for the strap, naturally :rolleyes: ). They function OK as a strap pin, so we were not in a hurry to swap them out, but we knew eventually we would swap for the "stock" PRS strap pins, which we both quite like.

Anyway, recently my wife has been a little annoyed at how easily the strap she uses (a nice suede PRS She Rocks strap I got her) can slip off, so I snagged a set of PRS strap pins/buttons. When taking out the old Dunlop pins/buttons, the pin on the horn was already a bit loose, which alarmed me. The screw came out way too easy, and you can see was far too short:

j1Jp4nm.jpg

Old screw on left, PRS screw on right. This could easily have resulted in the whole pin falling out and the guitar dropping. Yeesh!

The screw in the bottom of the body was longer (and had a round top, not the flat countersunk type), but still not as long as the PRS version.

I assume (!) that today's PRS strap button screws are the same as what would have been used in 1987 because the new "stock" screws went in fully no problem, and that whoever put on the Dunlop strap locks used different screws for some reason.

So word of caution if you have a "pre-owned" guitar that has non-stock pins/buttons: check to see if the screw is big enough!

Good point...always make sure the screws are snug...I usually put the little felt washer against the body so I can give it an extra turn to snug it up.
Those old 5 strings are pretty cool...hope she's enjoying it!!!!

When installing retaining washers in my PRS's I was amazed how long those screws are (1.25" if I recall). It only makes sense to either re-use those or fit a similar size, but never smaller!
Its crazy to do otherwise.

Back