Guitar strap

When I got my McCarty in the dark ages, I geeked out and got a PRS croc strap. The lower leather belt portion is thin, but is solid and fits over the button with no removal or alterations. I guess they were designed with that in mind. It works well and has never ever come loose even though the leather is very supple and soft. I had Shallers mounted on all of my electric instruments,no matter the mark. Then I realized I was now pretty much a home player with no gigging again, or even contemplated. I took all the shallers off 10 yrs. ago, and returned to stock buttons on all. I've never had an accident with a guitar that involved the strap breaking or falling off. Rather than the strap locks themselves, the Strap is as important too.

I guess one could say I'm a strap collector/hoarder. Just got two new hornback alligator 3.25 in wide straps and a new wide python. These join my other 5 on the wall hangar and 10 leather ones in drawers, since retired, and no longer in play. Every strap I still use has Schallers, some over 20 years of use. Never once a failure (maybe luck) but my issue was never really fear of dropping guitars. (I don't drink) ;) , and play anyway. I have never, ever been able to get any strap to easily slide over my PRS's pins no matter how hard the wrestling match became at times. Screw that, literally, and easily used PRS screws to put on the Schallers on everbody w no issues ever. I actually wondered before why PRS doesn't have their own lock system matched to their own pins either already on their guitars or available for special order.

I’ve seen both Schaller and Dunlops come apart with my own two eyes. Just sayin’.

On the other hand, if you don’t like PRS buttons, I understand why you use them.
As have I. Although with the new Schaller design, I have a hard time seeing it happening. There’s an awful lot of thread there and a set screw to hold the “wheel” in place.

The PRS buttons are definitely secure enough. Obviously certain straps are easier than others to get on & off.

I guess with anything, be it a screw, nut, etc, the key is to take a look every so often to be sure everything is tight.

Of late, within last couple years, PRS put out a nice cushiony leather strap where the end pin piece of leather is thinner, so they fit better over their stock buttons. I use Dunlop lockers on a couple non- PRS basses, but once the leather softens, it's a nice, snug fit over the stock PRS buttons... Fanboy?? Maybe??!

Because my PRS are supplied with gig bags I can use my favourite strap retainers on them. They are the 'rubber' beer washers (Fender ones). However you cant then remove the strap. It stays on the guitar permanently. Thats fine for the PRSs.

It's those guitars in snug fitting bespoke hard cases that spoil this, because you cant fit a captive strap into those cases. Thats why this year when I bought a Heistercamp strap, I regrettably needed to use straplocks. Regrettably because I dont much like them. I find them large, ugly and rattlely. I tried out a different pair this time. A D'addario Planet Waves set. I could find none on my side of the pond so sourced these from StewMac.

They are smaller (so less likely to snag in a guitar case) though they still rattle a bit. Its claimed (and its true) that if needed you can fit a regular strap on these pins. However, it doesnt follow that the straplocks (on the strap) can fit regular pins on other guitars! So if you wanted to use the strap on other guitars you would have to buy more straplock sets. And no; you cant buy just the pins separately. They are secure and well designed though.

DAddario_Planet_Waves_Universal_Strap_Lock_System.jpg

Any time there is a discussion about guitar straps I have to ask that you consider one from Lakota Leathers. They are unbelievably comfortable and come with a lifetime guaranty. And you will be helping people that desperately need help.

These straps are made by members of the Lakota Tribe in South Dakota. Without going into too many depressing details the tribal members live in the worst possible conditions in the United States. The lowest income, highest poverty, highest teen suicide rate, etc. etc. The conditions are worse than any 3rd world country right here in the U.S. I even posted about Carlos addressing teens on the reservation in his thread.

I would not suggest you purchase one of these straps just because I am asking you to. I'm just asking you give them a look. If you decide one might work for you and you do buy one you will be providing a small amount of economic stimulus to some very much in need.

I do have one of these on every one of my guitars (except my acoustic.)

Any time there is a discussion about guitar straps I have to ask that you consider one from Lakota Leathers. They are unbelievably comfortable and come with a lifetime guaranty. And you will be helping people that desperately need help.

These straps are made by members of the Lakota Tribe in South Dakota. Without going into too many depressing details the tribal members live in the worst possible conditions in the United States. The lowest income, highest poverty, highest teen suicide rate, etc. etc. The conditions are worse than any 3rd world country right here in the U.S. I even posted about Carlos addressing teens on the reservation in his thread.

I would not suggest you purchase one of these straps just because I am asking you to. I'm just asking you give them a look. If you decide one might work for you and you do buy one you will be providing a small amount of economic stimulus to some very much in need.

Next strap,I buy comes from this place. Thanks for posting.

Saved to favorites.
That bead work on the custom straps is insane. I'd love to have something done like that, maybe black leather with red thunderbirds inlays and red leather stitching, that would be pretty sweet on my SG. Hmmm, I better hide the credit cards before I call...

That bead work on the custom straps is insane. I'd love to have something done like that, maybe black leather with red thunderbirds inlays and red leather stitching, that would be pretty sweet on my SG. Hmmm, I better hide the credit cards before I call...
The photos of the beadwork straps don't do the real thing justice. A friend of mine,a giging musician has one, and it is, ...well..., insane. Gorgeous. My wife said at one point she was going to get me one with either my initials or first name on it. I'm hoping before too long.

IMHO, this seems really simple

All strap buttons and lock systems to my knowledge use the same screw size. PRS strap buttons are intentionally larger but, don't do anything to resolve the actual issue.

I have a set on my SE called Boston Strap Locks. I believe Planet Waves makes the little plastic disc ones.

I recommend changing out to normal buttons and the plastic discs or buying any of the metal strap locks.

Most straps are 2" and I think the 3" wide variety is going to be a little more difficult to find.

You may look into getting one of those car seatbelt thingy-dos.

My S2 Custom 24 is so incredibly comfortable, smooth and fabulous sounding that it doesn't need a strap. It just hovers there where I need it. As a matter of fact, if I telepathically tell it, it will play any tune I ask, right there in the corner where it stands. And then, back here in the real world, this thread - while I don't get overworked about straps (a Fender strap has always worked for me) - got me looking at the 'products' page on this site and they have some very cool gear to buy. Going get me a PRS strap and def a coupl PRS birdy hats!! They have real nice stuff!!

I want a PRS strap but, a strap is a strap. I can get straps for 6 bucks or the door.

I have 2 fiddles, and 2 straps. Won't buy a new strap until I buy a 3rd guitar

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, it seems like anything less than a PRS strap on a core model or higher would just be blasphemy.

Good God, I've become a cork-sniffer

Another poster mentioned another reason why I don't really care for them, besides the safety factor, they are large, stick out pretty far no matter the brand and add a bit of clunky to the guitar. Just me and I know that there are those that actually need them but it's another reason I took them off.

Thanks for spreading the word about Lakota Leathers. I picked up one based on your post and it's really great. Great looking and super soft.
Recommended!

Back