Guitar solos with feeling???

titansfan4196

I'm looking for some cool guitar solos to learn. But here's the thing, I don't believe that random, super-fast, flashy scales make a guitar solo cool. Those kinds of solos just sound meaningless. I'm looking for some solos that still sound really cool, and add a lot to a song. So they can be fast, slow, medium, any speed. But real solos. Thanks!!

I'm looking for some cool guitar solos to learn. But here's the thing, I don't believe that random, super-fast, flashy scales make a guitar solo cool. Those kinds of solos just sound meaningless. I'm looking for some solos that still sound really cool, and add a lot to a song. So they can be fast, slow, medium, any speed. But real solos. Thanks!!

The best ones aren't the super fast ones IMO.

How about:

Comfortably Numb Solos 1 & 2
Smooth (the whole song is really fills and solos behind the voice)
More than a feeling (the Solo and the harmony part. Get a buddy to play it with you - great fun)
The list could go on forever....

Totally agree with you OP! But I'm a blues-rock snob, so there ya go! Not a technician or into the neoclassical thing.

My favorite solos that I feel have great melody and phrasing and feel:

Hotel California - Eagles (THE solo that got me into guitar - gotta love Joe and Felder)
Get Back - Beatles (super simple yet sometimes less is more, and for me it is most of the time)
You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC (gotta love that vibrato and energy)
Sympathy For The Devil - Rolling Stones (I love the bright stringy sound Keef gets)
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (not even a PF fan, but this one oozes taste and feel)
Walk This Way - Aerosmith (love the bendy licks Joe does in this)
I Can't Tell You Why - Eagles (an underrated piece done by Glenn that is extremely fluid and simple yet perfect)
Who's Cryin' Now - Journey (Neal does more fast shreddy stuff nowadays but I wish he'd get back to this stuff, so melodic)
My Sharona - Knack (guilty pleasure, but I freakin' love this solo by Berton Averre! Turns a cheesy pop tune into a likable one for me)
That Smell - Lynyrd Skynyrd (you can keep the Free Bird solo, I'll take this featuring three solos from Gary, Allen, and Steve)
One Of These Nights - Eagles (I love this solo by Felder - very horn-like)
All Right Now - Free (Koss had great vibrato and it's not too hard to learn)
Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin (great fun solo)
You Make Loving Fun - Fleetwood Mac (my favorite solo by Lindsey Buckingham)
Take It On The Run - REO Speedwagon (Gary was very underrated and I love his solo on this)
Strange Brew - Cream (my personal favorite Clapton solo)
Blue Sky - Allman Brothers (love Duane and Dickey's playing)
Keep Your Hands To Yourself - Georgia Satellites (love those Chuck Berry-isms throughout)
November Rain - Guns N' Roses (awesome singing sustain solo)
Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones (country solo with balls)

Ok, there's 20. I could go on all day but I'll leave some for some other people. :)

Last edited:
My personal favourites are:

Alive - Pearl Jam
I Will Not Bow - Breaking Benjamin
No More Tears - Ozzy Osbourne
Isolation - Alter Bridge (to be honest anything Tremonti does is exceptional but the two little solos he does before the choruses in this are my favourite, the main solo by Myles Kenedy is pretty awesome too)

Check out the keyboard and guitar solo on Slightly Out of Reach on James LaBrie's album Elements of Persuasion. Absolutely amazing feel on both solos.

4:37-5:16 Myles part. I don't know why but the past few albums Mark just sounds more about let me show how fast I can play then feel :/

2:32-3:03 Corgan can shred like an unfeeling mfér, but here he displays emotion to match his lyrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just about any solo Mark Knopfler has ever played.

This!

End solo on 'Tunnel Of Love'. All the licks from Brothers In Arms...

As mentioned, Comfortably Numb... Also from Floyd and or Gilmour:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
The Final Cut
Marooned
On An Island

Gary Moore:

Parisienne Walkways
The Loner
Still Got The Blues
Still In Love With You
Blues For Narada
The Messiah Will Come Again
The Prophet
I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know

Totally agree with you OP! But I'm a blues-rock snob, so there ya go! Not a technician or into the neoclassical thing.

My favorite solos that I feel have great melody and phrasing and feel:

Hotel California - Eagles (THE solo that got me into guitar - gotta love Joe and Felder)
Get Back - Beatles (super simple yet sometimes less is more, and for me it is most of the time)
You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC (gotta love that vibrato and energy)
Sympathy For The Devil - Rolling Stones (I love the bright stringy sound Keef gets)
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (not even a PF fan, but this one oozes taste and feel)
Walk This Way - Aerosmith (love the bendy licks Joe does in this)
I Can't Tell You Why - Eagles (an underrated piece done by Glenn that is extremely fluid and simple yet perfect)
Who's Cryin' Now - Journey (Neal does more fast shreddy stuff nowadays but I wish he'd get back to this stuff, so melodic)
My Sharona - Knack (guilty pleasure, but I freakin' love this solo by Berton Averre! Turns a cheesy pop tune into a likable one for me)
That Smell - Lynyrd Skynyrd (you can keep the Free Bird solo, I'll take this featuring three solos from Gary, Allen, and Steve)
One Of These Nights - Eagles (I love this solo by Felder - very horn-like)
All Right Now - Free (Koss had great vibrato and it's not too hard to learn)
Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin (great fun solo)
You Make Loving Fun - Fleetwood Mac (my favorite solo by Lindsey Buckingham)
Take It On The Run - REO Speedwagon (Gary was very underrated and I love his solo on this)
Strange Brew - Cream (my personal favorite Clapton solo)
Blue Sky - Allman Brothers (love Duane and Dickey's playing)
Keep Your Hands To Yourself - Georgia Satellites (love those Chuck Berry-isms throughout)
November Rain - Guns N' Roses (awesome singing sustain solo)
Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones (country solo with balls)

Ok, there's 20. I could go on all day but I'll leave some for some other people. :)

I was going to post a list myself, but many of mine are included here. Cool!

But, I will add two or three that I never get tired of no matter how much I hear (or play) them:

1. - "Highways and Heartaches" by Joe Ely/David Grissom. Mr. Grissom's playing is outstanding on this one IMO. I try to listen to this song several times a week.

2. - "Mississippi Queen" by Mountain. The Great Leslie West at what I think is his best. Not one wasted note in the entire song, and also not one note that isn't just 'right'.

3. - "Shakin'" by Eddie Money. My mind is blank as to the name of the guitarist, and I apologize for that. But amazing guitar work IMO.

Goldtop Lloyd

I was going to post a list myself, but many of mine are included here. Cool!

But, I will add two or three that I never get tired of no matter how much I hear (or play) them:

1. - "Highways and Heartaches" by Joe Ely/David Grissom. Mr. Grissom's playing is outstanding on this one IMO. I try to listen to this song several times a week.

2. - "Mississippi Queen" by Mountain. The Great Leslie West at what I think is his best. Not one wasted note in the entire song, and also not one note that isn't just 'right'.

3. - "Shakin'" by Eddie Money. My mind is blank as to the name of the guitarist, and I apologize for that. But amazing guitar work IMO.

Goldtop Lloyd

Great ones....

My favorite Eddie Money solo is "Two Tickets To Paradise". Love that tone...335 into an early Mesa Mark IIB. Jimmy Lyon was the guitar player.

Thanks for that. My mind is more blank than usual tonight. :dontknow: I dig a lot of Eddie Money's music. He's playing a small club here in town in a few days, and I'd like to go thought I doubt I'll be able to.

Several years ago I caught a triple bill of Scandal, Eddie Money, and Rick Springfield at The Hard Rock in Biloxi. Great show!

Goldtop Lloyd

4:37-5:16 Myles part. I don't know why but the past few albums Mark just sounds more about let me show how fast I can play then feel :/

This one gets my vote, even though I disagree about Mark's part of the solo. I enjoy both parts and think they complete each other.

It's nice to see that this thread hasn't been over run by SRV comments. :beer: I'm always finding new reasons to like this place. :rock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mick Taylor's solo in the Rolling Stones' Heartbreaker. Short, sublime and worth more than the whole rest of the song!

Eric

Back