Guitar solos with feeling???

I'd say you'll get a lot of guitar solo nutritional value from Jeff Beck & Carlos Santana, old skool stuff but if you want meat and not a lot of flashy shred-isms, those are a couple good places to start.

A couple moderately obscure examples:

Steve Rothery on Marillion's "Easter" -- very Gilmour-influenced, with soaring bends and some of the best vibrato you'll ever hear

Alex Skolnick on Testament's "Return to Serenity" -- admittedly a bit shred-y in places, but some of the tastiest legato phrasing out there

Brian May on "Too Much Love Will Kill You" (particularly the live version on Live at the Brixton Academy) -- a master class in doublestop bends, vibrato, and feedback-assisted sustain

Last edited by a moderator:
This one gets my vote, even though I disagree about Mark's part of the solo. I enjoy both parts and think they complete each other.

It's nice to see that this thread hasn't been over run by SRV comments. :beer: I'm always finding new reasons to like this place. :rock:

Love both solos too! I've been off and on trying to learn parts of this song over the last few weeks.

I can't believe no one has listed "Ten Years Gone" one of my favorite solos of all time, and one of the the best Zep/Page solos IMHO.

Tom

The two solos on the Joe Bonamassa song "The Great Flood" - particularly the version he does on the 2009 Royal Albert Hall performance. That song oozes emotion.

Pat metheny - Are You Going With Me
My absolute favorite.
I'm not the biggest Pantera fan, but I always loved the solo for Cemetary Gates.
Of course, Sweet Child O' Mine.
Iron Maiden, Hallowed Be Thy Name
Jeff Becks version of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat by Mingus.
Jeff Beck - Scatterbrain (so much fun to play!)

OK - Some great ideas for solos above. How about a few jazz / blues type solos for consideration??? (Play these with a clean tone on with just a hint of distortion)

I Cant Tell You Why - Larry Carlton version
Night Sweats - Larry Carlton

Enjoy whatever solos you decide to learn
FYI - I use 7th string software to learn solos / learn & chart songs. You can slow songs down without losing tone / pitch or even change the key if desired (I had to learn Old Time Rock & Roll by Bob Seeger in the Key of E - for example). If interested I can send you a link. If I recall the cost is about $35.00. I have been using this software for at least the last 4 years.

A solo that has always stuck in my head as aching with feeling is Craig Ross's solo on 'Sister' by Lenny Kravitz. You can hear the strings grating against the fret in his vibrato, and the amp buzz; it's just feels like you're in the room.

Back