Guitar Picks - What are you using? Why?

I use Dava... They last awhile , don't slip and great pick attack....

4601e4f09e99474fb0b9ee029a078385.jpg

These. I've been using the Delrin version for almost a year now, awesome stuff. You can choke up on it and really get a stiff attack or grip it high and it will have lots of play. Also I sweat a lot, these are still easy to hold and move around while sweating.

Dava has a sampler pack that has all of their options for you to try, that's how I settled on that particular choice.

I've been using the dunlop "hot licks" copper picks for 20 years. no longer made. blue herdim and dunlop black ice picks are also pretty nice.

Tortex Green .88 for E, Eb and Bb(7 string) standard tuning
Tortex Purple 1.14 for D standard tuning

I've really become quite particular when it comes to guitar picks. The extra heavy Dunlop Gel's are great - once I rub off the seam.

I'd like to find a pick that is like these but without the seam. It's kind of a hassle to prep every pick.

DV019_Jpg_Regular_110300_xheavy.jpg

Ultex Jazz III's. Mostly the Petrucci sig version, but I've got all three sizes (standard yellow, 2mm blacks and Petrucci sigs which are also black). Great picks, last a long time and give you the most control in my opinion.

I use the red nylon Dunlop Jazz III Max Grip. It's got some grip to it and for a guy like me who drops picks easy, it's great. And I love Jazz III's. I've literally tried every version and I love them all, but use Max Grip's for added grip. They are very popular with shredders and metal players but I'm a slower blues/classic rock guy. I just like the Jazz 3 because I fumble less with dropping the pick and now even a Tortex feels like a potato chip to me.

Pickboy Vintage Rainbow 78mm picks for me mainly, a bit thicker than most MED picks and very smooth sounding ( I usually play them backwards with one of the fatter ends )
I have been trying out the Dunlop Yellow Tortex 73mm lately like them at times, they get a harshness at times for me but they also can have a nice ( treble ) bite.

Last edited:
Dunlop tortex greens... I can get 'em at BestBuy, thus saving me from temptation when walking into a guitar store.

Dunlop tortex greens... I can get 'em at BestBuy, thus saving me from temptation when walking into a guitar store.
Doesn't the Downers Grove Best Buy on Butterfield have a music store in it? Granted its pretty much Fender, Gibson, Peavey and Schecter so not much of a temptation for me anyway.

I'm a jazz player who only uses picks around 25% of the time. But I am very picky (no pun intended) when I do use them. I used Jazz III's for a while but had a little trouble with dropping them. My fingers tend to sweat after extended play with a pick. I then found a pick online mentioned earlier in this thread, the Dava Grip Tip. Dava makes a version called the Jazz Grip, which is essentially a slightly (very slightly) larger Jazz III with a rubber grip. I also like the tips more - they don't wear out nearly as fast as Dunlop's picks, and the edge is a little flatter, and sound just a little warmer and fuller (very subtle difference, but it's there).

The only issue I have with them is if they change position in your grip, you end up accidentally playing with the rubber part. Not good. Happened a lot at first, but once you get used to them, it's very rare.

http://www.amazon.com/Dava-Jazz-Gri...qid=1372126358&sr=8-1&keywords=dava+jazz+grip

237334.jpg

Steve Clayton custom designed. 1.0mm White Delrin. Had them made them for a cast gift, but found the design made them easy to grip and the stiffness was good for tendonitis.

IMG_0985.jpg

I can't find the Ultex Jazz IIIs locally (which is weird?), so I ordered a bunch from Dunlop's website. I want to try them. Should be here later this week.

Dunlop Jazz iii
EricJohnsonClassicJazzIII-11.png

As I've been playing so much over the past couple of years I've progressed from thinner to thicker picks.

Now I have a picks I like for electric guitar (JazzIII EJ), Bass ( Tortex 1.0 ) and Acoustic Guitar ( Tortex .8).

Two years ago all I wanted was the .5 "orange" Tortex, now I don't know how i played with it!

The Jazz III's were a happy accident. I kept reading about all these players I liked using it....so i bought a pack on a whim.
If you start digging it's a surprising list, across many genres everybody from Eric Johnson and Joe Bonamassa to Kirk Hammlett.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dava 6 pack came today.
I like them very much, but the Dunlop green tortex .88 seem to be a little brighter sounding than these.
But still these are very nice, and I am going to give them a long try out.

41c-9Z2BicL._SY300_.jpg

Back