Guitar Picks - What are you using? Why?

jfb

Plank Owner
I haven't done much experimenting with guitar picks, but I recently tried the Planet Wave's Black Ice picks and fell in love after having used Jazz III's for ages. They are a little bit bigger than a Jazz III and are made of Duralin instead of Nylon. I like the shape, feel and sound of these picks more than any other at current time. They wear a bit faster perhaps, but you can order them in bulk so it's not really an issue.

Here's a picture comparing some of my picks...look at how badly that Black Ice is worn...I play them down to nothing before replacing.

photo%25203.JPG

What's are you using? Why?

I use the purple Dunlop Tortex Jazz picks. I spent the last year or so looking for "the one". I always came back to the purple Tortex Jazz. It just feels and sounds right to me. A close second was the purple Dunlop TIII which is a regular Tortex pick with a Jazz III tip.

Fender Celluloid heavy's. Because average playing demands average picks.

Have tried the nylon and tortex, but just don't care for the feel. Tortex feels kinda chalky to me and I don't like the texture/feel of the string/nylon interaction.

I've been a big Dunlop Tortex user for years but I've recently been experimenting with the V pick, Stiletto for electric and Switchblade for acoustic. The smaller pick size on the Stiletto takes some getting used too but I like how much easier it is for faster picking runs. I dig the Switchblade for acoustic because it sounds so much thicker and fuller than a regular pick. I have trouble making that one for for pick harmonics on electric though.

Dunlop Big Stubby 1.0ml. The red ones. Right size and thickness, and I like that they're easy/easier to hold.

Stubbyreg-11.png

Last edited:
On electric, Dunlop Jazz IIIs in several versions (mostly the Pitch Black Tortex, sometimes the red ones, sometimes the black nylon), the choice depends on the guitar and the tones I'm looking for off the strings. For acoustic, mostly Ultex Sharp (a little larger than Jazz III but same point), but there are times I want to hear a little more "clack" on the string, so I go with medium celluloids like the ones PRS sells.

I've found the Jazz III gives me a little more speed and precision, and I like the tones of the varieties. The Ultex has both precision and a warm tone with the acoustics, with a little bit of "sticktion" coming off the string that still has a nice sparkle to it. By sticktion I mean that it comes off the string a little more like a tortoise pick or fingernail, more slowly than celluloid. Celluloid seems to flex a little more, and the plucked note has more noticeable attack.

1.5 mm D'Andrea Pro Plecs. Nice round warm tone. Easy to hold on to and very consistent pic to pic, batch to batch.

I've been using v-picks and Brazilian agate picks. Love them both.

Several types...

V-Picks - Love the feel of these, and I'm getting a bit more accurate with them.
Dunlop Ultex Sharps - Nice and precise.
Jazz III XLs - Red and black. XLs because the regulars are too small for me.
Wegen Bluegrass - Great for strumming.
Acrylic nails - Great tone for fingerpicking, but they do get in the way sometimes with a pick. And they make it a bit hard to play fingerstyle bass. But they rock on acoustic!

I have a ton of other picks as well, and I'll break out one of the other styles just to see what kind of difference they make.

Green Dunlop Tortex pics. Used to make my own out of sheet brass. Don't have the time these days. I bend my pics around my thumb so they're far from flat. Like the Tortex because it seems to have an abrasive material in it. They never slip. Last ages too.

I use Dava... They last awhile , don't slip and great pick attack....

4601e4f09e99474fb0b9ee029a078385.jpg

Any of the picks with the Cat tongue texture...PRS had them at the Charity Wheel couple years back and love 'Em...being a bit of a schvitzer!!

Dunlop Adamas graphite, or V Picks (2.75mm medium round).

Some interesting choices here. I'd like to try something that has the slightly larger size of the Planet Waves Black Ice but in different materials. I'll keep this updated.

Green Tortex. Been using them forever. Feel/sound right. I'll dabble with some others once in awhile. I've been liking thinner picks when I play acoustic lately.

Long ago (30 to 40 years) I used Fender Mediums.
After getting back into guitar again after a 30 year break May of 2012, I got the same picks plus picked up a 72 pack of the green Tortex Dunlop ones in .88 thickness.
I like those much better, and has been stated in this thread, they are abrasive enough that they stick to your fingers without slipping.

_c636512_image_0.jpg

I have seen the Deva's in the guitar mags, so I just ordered up six of the red one.
Not sure what thickness they are, but I will give them a try.
Dava 1303 Delrin Grip Tips Guitar Pick (6-Pack)

41c-9Z2BicL._SY300_.jpg

Back