Guitar Picks - What are you using? Why?

Another Jazz III user here... Pretty surprised that these are so much used, given the plethora of choices out there...

I've been back and forth between Dunlop Jazztone 205's and D'Andrea ProPlecs.
I was recently made aware that PickBoy is still in biz so I have some of their jazz picks incoming.
They have celluloid picks in a Jazz III size at 1.5mm. On paper they sound perfect.
I'll find out tonight when the mail comes.

I have a few I switch back and forth to. So far my top picks I use regularly are (all dunlop) 1. Red Jazz III Max-Grip 2. USA Nylon 1.0 mm 3. Tortex T3 .88mm (green) my next picks will most likely be a BlueChip LG Jazz 50 or 60......

Last edited:
I recently switched to the Blue Chip Jazz 50s and LG Jazz 50s.

There is no catch.

If you play acoustic or play relatively clean, they do what they're advertised to do sonically. They also glide very smoothly through the strings and have a fast feel. If you're an experienced player who gets any nuance out of your playing, and appreciates the accuracy enabled by the material and the bevel, they're absolutely worth the dough. I think I play a little faster and more accurately with them, and the sound is beautiful.

I have no idea if you'd hear a difference on very high gain stuff, however, the feel would still be there. Regular picks feel a bit clunky to me now in comparison, even the Ultex with the same shapes, thicknesses and tips don't really compare.

Last edited:
I've been using the purple teardrop ones for years with great satisfaction:
TortexTearDrop-11.png

Don't know why they work so well for me, but they sure do!

DV016_Jpg_Large_712934.jpg

I've always fallen back to these Jazz III's. They're the right size for me, and they're the only ones so far that don't slip out of my hands- especially when they're sweaty.

I picked up some Ultex Jazz IIIs a few weeks back. Love the material. I haven't dropped a pick since.

I have tried several picks out over the years, and although I like quite a few of them....I think the one that works best for me is this little guy right here. A Jim Dunlop Tortex TIII .88mm....the perfect balance of "strummage" for rhythm and "single noteage" for leads. Now I fully realize that I most likely just created two new words, and they may not make much sense amongst my brethren, feel free to use them at your convenience nonetheless lol....seriously, these picks RAWK!
DSCN0392_zps7174be1c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
DSCN0928_zpsf9c7cd2d.jpg

DSCN0930_zps4e59399a.jpg

I used the Dunlop 2.0 (purple) for 20 years. I decided to try some other picks to see what I liked. The V picks are very nice. They do not slide around in your hand and play pretty well. I like a thick pick, so the 2.75mm V-picks were nice. They do have thinner picks, of course. I was not so much a fan of the Gravity picks. Price similar to the V picks, but kinda dull sounding. I tried the Ultex too, but they were a little "clicky" for me. I broke down and forked over $$$ to get my first Red Bear pick. They are great. Are they 6 times better than the V picks (as they are 6 times the price!!!) - well, no. But after playing the Red Bear picks, I am hooked. The #9 in Extra Heavy (2mm) are great. They do not slip. No clicking on the string. Just my thoughts. I hope this helped. Well, at least I hope it was entertaining!

I mainly use Dunlop Stubby 1.0mm picks, although I also have an English sixpence that I use with my Red Special copy (for obvious reasons).

Breadbag ties....been using since I was a kid.....why change????

If you're 100% happy with where you are, no reason to change. I'd never say "oh man, you're missing out, you really need to...whatever."

If you'd like to experiment (not necessarily change, simply experiment) it's interesting and fun.

I never in a million years thought a pick would make as much of a difference in my tone and playing as these Blue Chip picks have - and yeah, I noticed an improvement/difference when I went from celluloid to Ultex, but nothing like this.

The "clack" is gone, but the high end remains. The pick glides through the strings in a different way, and it just feels...faster! Now I play with something else, and it feels clunky and clumsy. It's really weird how quickly one can become acclimated to something as simple as a pick! But of course, that's just my reaction, and you might hate the result.

At some point I'm going to have to record something with the different picks I have on hand, so the difference can be heard, but the feel through the strings is also different for most of these alternatives.

My way of thinking: If I spend a few bucks on even an expensive pick, it's still pretty cheap thrills compared to futzing around with different guitars, amps, cables and pedals. It's kinda fun. The difference is there to be felt and heard, especially by the player who is experienced.

Last edited:
Switched up my picks to either one of these. Usually it's the TIII really diggin them lately

also i always have quite a few to choose from LOL

Last edited:
Back