Do you chew your picks too?

I'm guessing I'm not alone. Do you chew on your picks too? Ever hear of someone choking to death on a guitar pick?

If 37 years in this forum has taught me anything, it's that our moms are generally right about what we should and what she should not put in our mouths. However, there are always exceptions to the rule. We drank from the house outside ALL the time growing up. I not only didn't die from it, I didn't even get sick.

Mom never told me not to chew on picks, but maybe only because I never chewed on one so she felt no need for corrective action. She did tell me to stop chewing on my fingernails though. I used to get flavored toothpicks though, and chew on those. Never choked on one. With all due respect, I think this might have been one of those times that mom's take a little creative license with their stories in order to make them fit their narrative. Like mom used to tell me not to throw my sweaty socks on the carpet after basketball practice or it would mildew the carpet. I hid one under my brothers bed one time for a month. You know what? NO MILDEW! Boy it sure did smell bad though. But you know how it goes. I didn't tell her she was wrong... And I didn't tell my brother why his bed stank. That boy kept sniffing his mattress and blankets for weeks trying to figure out where the smell was coming from.

I've never chewed them, but I do put them in my mouth to hold. I usually keep one in my pocket too, well I did before Covid anyway, and yes they get washed and dried when I forgot to take them out.

No it doesn’t. Deep Purple is the “Burn” band. The Dr. Pepper guy sang “Makin’ It”.

"Mr. Dr. Pepper" David Naughton....feast your ears on this disco gem...if Serg was hangin I'm sure he would appreciate it. I certainly do.:D I dare you to sit still thru the whole song. He is solid gold after all!

Last edited:
Guilty, I've never chewed them, but always seem to put the pick in my mouth if I switch to fingers or I set the guitar down.

Super easy to find again when I needed it and it was better than trying fish one of them suckers out of that tiny change pocket in a set of levi's.

"Mr. Dr. Pepper" Danny Naughton....feast your ears on this disco gem...if Serg was hangin I'm sure he would appreciate it. I certainly do.:D I dare you to sit still thru the whole song. He is solid gold after all!

David Naughton - just saw him in a Seinfeld ep tonight. And I like the song - from my youth. I catch it on XM every now and then.

David Naughton - just saw him in a Seinfeld ep tonight. And I like the song - from my youth. I catch it on XM every now and then.

The song just reminds me of... “Virgins to the left. Non-virgins to the right. You guys split em up however you want.”

Nah. I was just having a laugh with DTR.

Now this is where the habit gets gross. NEVER loan me a pick. It will almost certainly end-up in my mouth when I stop thinking about it.

And that is one of the driving forces behind me breaking the habit of putting picks in my mouth. I remember one time at Guitar Center (or was it band camp?) I was trying out something and started to put one of their "loaner" picks in my mouth. I caught myself before it reached my lips but just the thought of where that pick may have been or where the fingers that had touched that pick may have been...

Congrats you just succeded in making me spew Dr. Pepper out of my nose...and yes it burns...it really burns!:D

No it doesn’t. Deep Purple is the “Burn” band. The Dr. Pepper guy sang “Makin’ It”.

I thought Scott was referring to this...not the Deep Purple version.....

But then again...Linda Blair did date Glen Hughes...among several other musicians. One might say she had her PICK of the best musicians at the time.

Back