Gilmore's Guitar Auction

v15OOcK.jpg

He's auctioning off 120 guitars. I think these guitars could bring in north of $10M. The Black Strat alone, will sell for over $1M.

I think this is pretty damn awesome of him, considering the value and provenance of some of these instruments.

It is really cool...I mean...it is David Gilmour...Mother T. aint got sh!t on the dude...he should be considered for saithood...for real...I'm serious...o_O

I thought the same thing...they have it and the "original instrument" (whatever the heck that is) estimated at 100 to 150K?!!! :eek:That's crazy talk:confused:...geez that Christie lady really needs to tighten up...her research has holes in it..so yeah, she's sounding pretty dumb right now...hmmm? Or could this be a glitch in the Matrix???? Gotta be

Last edited:
I’ll create a limited partnership. We can pool our capital and maybe buy a couple of stings off of the black strat :)

EDIT. I think it is awesome that he is doing this now while he is still above ground!

It is really cool...I mean...it is David Gilmour...Mother T. aint got sh!t on the dude...he should be considered for saithood...for real...I'm serious...o_O

I thought the same thing...they have it and the "original instrument" (whatever the heck that is) estimated at 100 to 150K?!!! :eek:That's crazy talk:confused:...geez that Christie lady really needs to tighten up...her research has holes in it..so yeah, she's sounding pretty dumb right now...hmmm? Or could this be a glitch in the Matrix???? Gotta be

A few years after Les Paul died, his estate auctioned off a lot of his gear. The "starting bid" prices were ridiculously low. Needless to say, they actual selling prices where much higher than the starting bids.

A few years after Les Paul died, his estate auctioned off a lot of his gear. The "starting bid" prices were ridiculously low. Needless to say, they actual selling prices where much higher than the starting bids.
Hard to create a bidding frenzy if the starting prices are too high.

I figure the blue strat will have fewer bidders, at least from this forum ;)

Most items went at a multiple of the estimated price.

Not as big a multiple as the first Clapton auction though, where any old Strat he may or may not have played went for 50K - I sat on my paddle so I didn’t accidentally buy anything.

Tosca, please pick me up on the way to Christie’s. Sounds like fun.

I’m only half kidding with this.
When Clapton auctioned off his late 80’s dual SLO-100 rig complete with custom Pete Cornish effects and switching system I really had a long hard look at it. When I see what it sold for I kick myself...but then again...I’m not going to be playing any stadiums...in this life.

Heads Up~!...The auction is tomorrow...

Mark, You still pickin' me up? What time should I be ready?

Wait..................what?...............Same weekend as Gearfest?!!

Heads Up~!...The auction is tomorrow...

I'm stoked to see how it all ends up!

Gilmour made the announcement today on IG about the charity that will be receiving the donation from all the proceeds from the sale.

As a human I think it's an amazing, grand and selfless gesture. To me, this puts him on a whole other level as a human being. However, as a Gilmour Fanboy...I just hate the thought of never hearing those fingers play those legendary guitars ever again live:(.

Anyone seen the results of this auction? I'm curious what the black strat, and of course some of the others, went for. And I am computer impaired right now. And using my Kindle which I don't do well with.

You're a bt too keen - I don't think it starts for another 20 minutes. (Believe it starts 10 AM today NYC so 15.00 for me in the UK)

LIVE LIVE LIVE...the first strat lot #1 sold for $340,000~!!! The martin lot #2 sold for $900,000.

Lot #147 is the big one...The Black Strat...

Last edited:
Back