Gilmore's Guitar Auction

I'm really glad this was for a good cause. Otherwise.....stoopid prices paid.

I’m hoping for some this was part of the reason for bidding.

I wonder what a guitar would sell for if Clapton/Page/Young/Slash/Santana etc. did the same thing?

Not saying they are any better than DG. Just asking for a friend.

And then you’ve got Brian May’s guitar. One of one, I hope he stays with us for a long time, but imagine what that instrument would raise at auction, to save the Badgers!

I wonder what a guitar would sell for if Clapton/Page/Young/Slash/Santana etc. did the same thing?

Not saying they are any better than DG. Just asking for a friend.

HEY! HEY! HEY! That goes for you too mister!
o_O:p

Clapton sold a bunch of guitars a year or two ago at Gruhn guitars. Not to be confused with his auction for the Crossroads Facility that raised so much attention.

Quietly, he sold 20 or 30 guitars many of which were Strats, of course. Still they went for silly prices. Most of the Strats went for around $30,000. Something that you could by new for $2,000. But, you received an autographed photo of Clapton playing the Strat on stage:rolleyes:

I don't think the web page is still available on Gruhn's site. I'll look.

Okay I've been pondering o_Othe irony of the sale since yesterday.

DG and PF have always been about calling out all the corporate greed mongers. Well, looks like one of the afore mentioned poster children for corporate greed ends up with the damn thing! Go figure.

However, here's the beauty of the whole thing...David Gilmour, sold what is essentially a $300 beater Frankenstrat and an old flight case for over four (4) million flipping bucks and gives every dime to charity.

Well folks, THIS is the textbook version what it looks like to have your a$$ handed to you from your blind side. BOOM SHAKALAKA!

Way to stick it to "The Man" David Gilmour.

The only way that could get any better, would be to find out what he really paid for was just a high end recreation of the real deal.

What?! Hey it went to a great cause...right? Sorry not sorry. I'm still a little bitter and hurt about the whole thing...:oops:

"Think I'll buy me a football team";)

Just saw where Jim Irsay, owner of the Indianapolis Colts bought the black Strat. Crazy Hoosiers!

Yeah, BUT can he make that chunk-o-lumber sing like the man himself? Thats the $3.975 million dollar question.

Here..let's ask the Magic Eight Ball....

3h3uIoM.jpg

Maybe not, but I bet it still makes him happy, every man's goal according to Socrates.

Oh, you know it does!...I'm just bitter because It'll probably never be played by DGs fingers again. I die a little inside everytime I think about that.:(

I covet therefore I am. ~Scottrates.:D:p

Last edited:
Yeah, BUT can he make that chunk-o-lumber sing like the man himself? Thats the $3.975 million dollar question.

Here..let's ask the Magic Eight Ball....

I read Jason Isbell say that he's played a few of the guitars in Irsay's collection including the "Dylan Goes Electric" Strat from the 1965 Newport Folk festival. So at least they aren't being locked in a vault.

I read Jason Isbell say that he's played a few of the guitars in Irsay's collection including the "Dylan Goes Electric" Strat from the 1965 Newport Folk festival. So at least they aren't being locked in a vault.

Jason Isbell is bada$$ery incarnate.:cool: Knowing that takes some of the sting out of it. Good lookin out @Shawn@PRS :)

Last edited:
Okay...as new information has come to light...I have to retract my previous opinion about the new owner of the "Balck Strat". Turns out he's an even bigger Pink Floyd/Gilmour "Fan Boy" than even yours truly. So my hats off to him.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...vid-gilmour-black-strat-interview-852850/amp/

After reading this RollingStone article...I have a new found respect and adoration for the gazzillionaire. I totally get it now.

Now, I'm just happy to know all the $$$ went to a great cause, and that the dude that has it gets it too.;)

I just needed to say that.

That is all...carry on.:)

Last edited:
Back