Gibson vs. PRS

For the price, PRS are just built better. But nothing sounds like a Les Paul, except a Les Paul, even if you have to do A LOT to set one up properly.
Yeah, I know you're a new guy, but that's been a thing around here for longer than I've even been here. People play a few PRS and want EVERYTHING to play like that. So they come in ask "what PRS sounds like a Less Pawl but plays and feels like a PRS?" or "What PRS sounds like a strat but plays and feels like a PRS."

And it's only natural to want that quality, that feel and that playability in every guitar. I get that. I WANT that. I probably asked both of those questions here myself. Seems that at some point you get "pretty close" to those sounds with the right PRS, but not exactly.

Yeah, I know you're a new guy, but that's been a thing around here for longer than I've even been here. People play a few PRS and want EVERYTHING to play like that. So they come in ask "what PRS sounds like a Less Pawl but plays and feels like a PRS?" or "What PRS sounds like a strat but plays and feels like a PRS."

And it's only natural to want that quality, that feel and that playability in every guitar. I get that. I WANT that. I probably asked both of those questions here myself. Seems that at some point you get "pretty close" to those sounds with the right PRS, but not exactly.
True, my strats don't sound like my Tele, doesn't sound like my Les Paul, doesn't sound like my 335, doesn't sound like my PRS. God help me, I love 'em ALL!

Ive never liked how a LP plays. No ergonomics..
True, body shaped like a brick. And until yesterday, I though that all that weight was needed to make the humbuckers really sing out. My new PRS has totally changed my attitude about that...

"What PRS sounds like a strat but plays and feels like a PRS."

Um....

PRS_John_Mayer_01_1500000000206310.jpg

For the price, PRS are just built better. But nothing sounds like a Les Paul, except a Les Paul, even if you have to do A LOT to set one up properly.

I would agree with you to a point. I think the core PRS instruments blow Gibson core away. However, the Historics that come out of the Gibby Custom Shop are well-built and are great guitars.

Ive never liked how a LP plays. No ergonomics..

I think you've played the wrong Les Pauls. R9s (especially beginning 2013+) play great and feel good, IMO.

I know what forum I'm on, but there's no reason I can't like both, and be honest about it.

Last edited:
First off, I hate Les Paul’s. It’s like wearing a tree trunk around your neck. The average one weighs 9+ pounds, and the ergonomics actually cause orthopedic conditions in your neck, back, shoulder, and most importantly, your fretting hand and wrist. I haven’t even touched one since 1989..coincidently, when I obtained my 1st PRS. I used LP’s briefly, in the early 70’s, and they motivated me into modding a Strat in 1975, by putting a bucker in the bridge position...yes, with a chisel! Anyway, it got close enough to the sound I heard in my head, that I never played another LP, live. I have several PRSes, as well as a few Fenders, and my McCarty is indistinguishable from a LP, on tape. I have a t-top in the neck, and an original PAF in the bridge..yes, it’s cheating, but it sounds like the best LP, you’ve ever heard...and more importantly, plays like a PRS!

First off, I hate Les Paul’s. It’s like wearing a tree trunk around your neck. The average one weighs 9+ pounds, and the ergonomics actually cause orthopedic conditions in your neck, back, shoulder, and most importantly, your fretting hand and wrist. I haven’t even touched one since 1989..coincidently, when I obtained my 1st PRS. I used LP’s briefly, in the early 70’s, and they motivated me into modding a Strat in 1975, by putting a bucker in the bridge position...yes, with a chisel! Anyway, it got close enough to the sound I heard in my head, that I never played another LP, live. I have several PRSes, as well as a few Fenders, and my McCarty is indistinguishable from a LP, on tape. I have a t-top in the neck, and an original PAF in the bridge..yes, it’s cheating, but it sounds like the best LP, you’ve ever heard...and more importantly, plays like a PRS!

Maybe you’re playing the wrong ones? I have quite a number, and mine average closer to 8 than 9 lbs. My newest is exactly 8 lbs. None are chambered. I also think the neck angle is very comfortable. I’m not a fan of “core” LPs, but the Custom Shop guitars are excellent.

I also have a few PRSi, and love them all.

Going back to the Disney thing, I am surprised the phrase "Hakunna Matata" never came up. As in, "whenever we have a PRS in our hands, HAKUNNA MATATA!"
The PRS S2 Custom 24 (which is the only PRS I know anything about) may actually be more comfortable to play than my two strats, and I didn't EVER think I'd say that about any guitar.
I do find that in some situations, my very heavy Les Paul (10 lbs, 8 oz) is the go-to guitar, for hitting that LP sound. But who knows what the PRS would sound like with 57 Classics?
I'll never know, because my PRS with the pickups it has produces a sound that the Les Paul can't.

Back