FX rabbit hole

Joyo American Sound
Rat (or black rat mini clone)

Have you tried pedal stacking? I sometimes run a pair of Boss DS-1s, the most hated pedals around, but stacked and neither into fizzy zone they can be awesome. A six knob boutique pedal.

And Fuzz, it's an animal that takes a while to decipher. Put it on your radar to look into. It's a definite rabbit hole.

Joyo American Sound
Rat (or black rat mini clone)

Have you tried pedal stacking? I sometimes run a pair of Boss DS-1s, the most hated pedals around, but stacked and neither into fizzy zone they can be awesome. A six knob boutique pedal.

And Fuzz, it's an animal that takes a while to decipher. Put it on your radar to look into. It's a definite rabbit hole.

I appreciate you giving advice. I just don't like the sound of fuzz. The effect itself, regardless of make/model, is flawed at its core and to my ears, sound bad.

I really do appreciate you though.

i'm on and off with Fuzz. I thought I had it dialed in well. ...I've been using a big muff for fuzz which is silicon. It sounds freaking awesome at times - really when playing alone or with smaller group of people. But when the full band is cooking, if I try to kick in some fuzz, my guitar totally disperses. I can't say it's true for all fuzz, but the Big Muff is massively mid scoped so it will NOT cut through at all. So i only use it now when the band is pulling back and getting "psychedelic" - as a "different sound". I was thinking about swapping it out for something more fuzzface like.

Anyway, I wouldn't give up on Fuzz yet. Check out the "that pedal show" episode on Fuzz. you might not like the sound of Fuzz because of the way your are using it.??? On this episode, They ran a big muff into a fender twin at lower volume and it sounded buzzy and really quite bad (to my ears). There was too much head room in that amp and they were pulling mids out of an already mid scooped amp. But when they played it into a lower watt Marshall with less headroom, it sounded great. The marshall pushed the mids more which complemented this pedal. the the breakup of the amp after the fuzz made the sound just so much more "nasty".

I'm not really a fan of multi effect units. I used to have an ME-50 (I think) and I really couldn't get what I wanted out of it. I like to be able to stack two or more gain pedals or a boost and I like being able to move effects around in the signal chain. I ended up selling it and picking up a small number of pedals which just works way better for me. But individual pedals are just soooo much more expensive. (cost of actual pedals, power supply, patch cables, etc...) but my issue with the ME-50 was likely just user error more than the unit. I used it for years but I may not have tried hard enough to get it dialed in. Regardless, I would recommend a traditional pedal board because of the flexibility and also it's fun to buy, trade, and try new pedals.

i'm on and off with Fuzz. I thought I had it dialed in well. ...I've been using a big muff for fuzz which is silicon. It sounds freaking awesome at times - really when playing alone or with smaller group of people. But when the full band is cooking, if I try to kick in some fuzz, my guitar totally disperses. I can't say it's true for all fuzz, but the Big Muff is massively mid scoped so it will NOT cut through at all. So i only use it now when the band is pulling back and getting "psychedelic" - as a "different sound". I was thinking about swapping it out for something more fuzzface like.

Anyway, I wouldn't give up on Fuzz yet. Check out the "that pedal show" episode on Fuzz. you might not like the sound of Fuzz because of the way your are using it.??? On this episode, They ran a big muff into a fender twin at lower volume and it sounded buzzy and really quite bad (to my ears). There was too much head room in that amp and they were pulling mids out of an already mid scooped amp. But when they played it into a lower watt Marshall with less headroom, it sounded great. The marshall pushed the mids more which complemented this pedal. the the breakup of the amp after the fuzz made the sound just so much more "nasty".

I'm not really a fan of multi effect units. I used to have an ME-50 (I think) and I really couldn't get what I wanted out of it. I like to be able to stack two or more gain pedals or a boost and I like being able to move effects around in the signal chain. I ended up selling it and picking up a small number of pedals which just works way better for me. But individual pedals are just soooo much more expensive. (cost of actual pedals, power supply, patch cables, etc...) but my issue with the ME-50 was likely just user error more than the unit. I used it for years but I may not have tried hard enough to get it dialed in. Regardless, I would recommend a traditional pedal board because of the flexibility and also it's fun to buy, trade, and try new pedals.

Go to YouTube
Type CSguitars
He has a video on a pedal called target mids.

YouTube search JHS pedals. I binged some of his last night to see what he's about. I was getting sleepy. It was either the pedal stacking video or the fuzz 101 video where he talked about adding Mids to fuzz. I think he used a specific boost pedal after the fuzz

I went through the same **** with DigiTech RP100 and RP300A. Could never put my finger on the sound problem.
Been looking at multi-fx unit videos and I think I finally figured it out. Same problem as modeling amps. Same problem as the last 3 AC/DC records:

It sounds great but, it's too sterile and processed and polished sounding. Too digital. Not raw.

Man, I'm late for bed

I'm pretty simple effects wise and don't chase. I use a little vox modeler at home and just use delay. If I plug in the big boys, I still use delay and some boost. I don't have a pedal board per se, Oh, I do, but it's naked and all the others are in their boxes in a briefcase and have been for at least a decade, I should sell the bunch...

I'm pretty simple effects wise and don't chase. I use a little vox modeler at home and just use delay. If I plug in the big boys, I still use delay and some boost. I don't have a pedal board per se, Oh, I do, but it's naked and all the others are in their boxes in a briefcase and have been for at least a decade, I should sell the bunch...

Yeah, see, I love the arguments on both sides.
On the one hand, there's just something special and magical about plugging the right guitar (PRS) into the right amp(s).
On the other hand, effects are awesome.

I think I'll always be the guy who wants to have a wide variety of gritty tones, overdrive tones, distorted tones, and insane tones. There's just too many wonderful things you can do with dirt.

And even though I can't play leads to save my life, I'm always going to love fiddling around with a bluesy sounding Wah Wah.
If dirt/Distortion is the best thing to ever happen to the guitar, then IMO, Wah Wah pedals are the second greatest thing to happen to guitar.

I love a mild chorus, too. And like I've said, I recently discovered the combo of a mild slap back Delay and a mildly moderate studio quality Reverb.

But, man, it's tough to beat a great guitar and amp combo!

A dual humbucker chunk of mahogany into a Marshall is a tough act to beat.

And a PRS into a
PRS
Marshall
Mesa
Diezel
Etcetera
Is also a tough act to beat.

But, pedals, man...

Back