For the Love Of Soapies !

Photo-Room-20231223-113617.jpg
Hello All, my first post here.

This is my 99 McRosie which I bought new in 1999 from Machinehead Music in the U.K.

It’s been in constant use for 25 years and has acquired quite a few chips and scratches which to be honest doesn’t bother me at all, and the finish has reacted with various guitar stands over the years, which I always find odd as I think thought these were poly.

When I bought the guitar new, P90’s were not really that popular, and an all mahogany non maple top PRS was quite rare. I was told these were a special run or a duplicate order for an artist, but not sure how accurate this is.

As a working guitar it’s never quite had the sound that made it versatile or easy to use, but it’s made me change my playing which has been great and made me think differently. As with my other PRS it’s been 100% reliable, stable and solid.

Last year it was treated to a new set of Fralins and a new writing loom and I think that’s made a difference, but not a huge one.

I often think about getting it refinished, but then think what’s the point.

If anyone here has any information about these guitars that would be very interesting.
Is that black or green. I’m guessing black with the green coming from something that is reflecting off the gloss finish.

For those thinking of a swap .... I have both Duncans and Lollars , both excellent .. the PRS/ Duncan is still my fave . I LOVE Staple pickups .. that's what got me hooked on Soapies 40 years ago . ('56 LP black Beauty)

Here are my three attempts at loving a full P-90 equipped guitar (L/R).
1) IRW McSoap - My first experience with soapbars & IRW (also my first 1-piece top).
2) IRS Standard McSoap (one of the "original 26") - I had hoped the full mahogany body would help mellow out the bridge tones and add in a little more bottom end.
3) One of two (that I know of) Ted SC Soapy Goldtops - Totally got hooked by the vintage vibes (looks) of this guitar and wanted to give P-90s one last try as my rig / preferences changed pretty significantly since my last attempt.

One fact that I learned via these three guitars = A P-90 in the neck is AWESOME, but in the bridge it's just not for me. :confused:

jb3mE5c.jpg

Soapies aren't for everyone .. I have 5 amazing ones , none suffer from an over bright bridge , which is why I like them the best of single coils.
As always it is highly subjective

evidence of soapy greatness ....

Last edited:
I’m sorry to hear that. Have you tried raising or lowering the pickup and the polepieces? There’s a reason the LPJunior is legendary.
I tried all sorts of adjustments physical and amp settings. I think that I just found myself wanting a bit more creaminess and punch (bottom end) in the tone that I wasn't able to hear for myself. In fairness I never tried a different brand of P-90's, so maybe that would've gotten me there. That being said I totally get why people love these pick-ups and I have tried a LP Junior and more recently a Knaggs version of one (at a dealer / not at home) and it's generally the same feeling overall.

Back