First Run 1957/2008 Pickups

The crash was the best time for PRS (customers) IMO.

They were innovating and going hungry, trying all sorts of stuff to stay afloat. Look at all the pickups and models released then.

I divide PRS guitars into pre-'08 and post-'08 models, and have a preference for post-'08. It's not coincidence that all my pre-'08 PRSi have had their pickups replaced.

I divide PRS guitars into pre-'08 and post-'08 models, and have a preference for post-'08. It's not coincidence that all my pre-'08 PRSi have had their pickups replaced.
I really don’t mind most of the old, and most of the new pickups but… 08 through the introduction of the 15’s were perfect, and if it were me… I’d have stopped making adjustments.

Seriously, I’d just make every humbucker guitar with a 57/08-59/09 combo and sat back and collect my money.

I also have the early unengraved brushed covers 5708s in a Korina McCarty. Very good! PRS ran a special deal during the financial meltdown of 2008/2009+ where you could send a guitar to the PTC for a free pickup swap if you bought a new guitar.
That is how I ended up with 57/08s in my 06 CU22. Those pickups transformed that guitar from something I struggled with to something very useful for me.

I really don’t mind most of the old, and most of the new pickups but… 08 through the introduction of the 15’s were perfect, and if it were me… I’d have stopped making adjustments.

Seriously, I’d just make every humbucker guitar with a 57/08-59/09 combo and sat back and collect my money.

Brians hit it right on the head when his wood library’s was the first time I saw the 59/09 bridge and 57-08 neck combo. It is almost a perfect combo.

I have a set of the original 57/08s in my '99 BRW McCarty... (with brushed nickel covers and gold posts) A gift from a certain former PRS Elf...

I also swapped out the hardware to gold.

I like them so much I sold my 57/08 McCarty Limited Edition... So much better than the McCarty pups that came with the guitar...

09341AA2-C991-4475-91D5-8AF8FB591868_1_105_c.jpeg

66A20513-04F0-4823-8BD5-4E3D19AA7016_1_105_c.jpeg

I have a set of the original 57/08s in my '99 BRW McCarty... (with brushed nickel covers and gold posts) A gift from a certain former PRS Elf...

I also swapped out the hardware to gold.

I like them so much I sold my 57/08 McCarty Limited Edition... So much better than the McCarty pups that came with the guitar...

View attachment 12073

View attachment 12074
Something interesting I got from your post is that your pickups are brushed. The ones the PTC put in my CU22 are also brushed. The ones that I have in my SAS are a pair that I bought from someone a long time ago on BAM and they have gold screws like yours. However, they have shiny covers. I remember they were out of some special run guitar and were the first set I saw with gold screws.

Back