Finish on '91 customs?

Vertigo

A 25 y/o String Swing got weird and let go of my '91 custom 24 while we were having a family dinner a month or so ago. It took us a while to find the source of the noise, but luckily, it just took a chunk out of an edge on the back. I may choose to just leave it, but am disappointed because the guitar was pristine before this so I'm thinking of options.

Does anyone know what they sprayed back then? It's pretty thick...acrylic lacquer maybe? Is this before guitar mfg's were using 2k clear coats? The damage is big and deep enough that I think it would be a difficult touch-up situation but I'm not sure I care enough to pay big $$ to have it completely refinished.

A good automotive clearcoat will do the trick, ive repaired them before using fineline tape at the wood binding and only spraying the back, but i also painted for a living and had an awesome downdraft booth and a shop owner who didnt mind me doing stuff like that at lunch

Look up Chris Bavaria. He was the main finish guy at PRS for 17 years. Email him, he doesn’t like phone calls. They disturb his work flow. He is quite busy and may not have time right now.

Back