Ever notice PRS hate on other forums??

Sometimes it alerts people to potential problems within specific years/models: so yes, if it's a justified criticism, it does serve a purpose outside of self-indulgence.

Alerting people to a (quite long) run of poorly-cut nuts, poor colour-bleed onto the binding, poorly-set intonation, excess weight, cases that impart a near-ineradicable smell to the guitar itself....... this is just a small handful of what Gibson has dealt out to an excessively forgiving public over the years. For too many years in my lifetime they relied on their name and trade dress to carry on selling, while others had to put out a more conscientiously built product to compete.

Long run? Gibson gave away a chunk of its market to guys like Paul and all the other smaller makers, who had taken a good hard look at overcoming obvious quality issues, and who were just plain prepared to work harder.

Setting expectations of what other manufacturers take in their stride and as a result, getting people to consider the competition, or at the very least run the racks when buying, looks like a public service to me.
There's a difference between fair criticism and slagging.

There’s a misconception out there that electric guitars are merely pickups on a dormant platform, nothing more. That’s why people are understandably sore when they see high end models costing so much.

What they don’t realise is that pickups and amps are merely meant to be replicas of string movement. In fact the best pickups and amps are the ones that replicate string movement perfectly, without adding their own interpretations. The fact that electric guitars sound like guitars when amplified, and not elephants, means the original design intent is successful.

See, I just need my translator to translate meaning perfectly. Please do not add any thoughts or perceptions of your own. If my French colleague says “I want a piece of cake”, please don’t translate it as “I want a piece of gastronomic joy”. The French colleague is the guitar and its inherent string vibration, and the translator is the pickup.

So a good electric guitar that has a musical pleasant tone from its inherent string vibration, is worth the money IMO. I’m not talking about sustain but the actual quality and character of the vibration. If it also looks like a piece of art, all the better.

But here’s the real kicker. The SE 594 is a good example of musical and pleasant string vibration (ie tone) for a reasonable price. I’ve had the same experience with Gretsch guitars from China / Korea too.

And if people want to escalate on their quest for tone, ala Gibson CS, Fender CS or PRS PS, that’s their money to spend. Please let me know when I’m spending your money to buy my guitar.

If only these people can see all that. Too much to ask I suppose. When egos are bruised, all reason goes out the window.
I'd like to add that even cabinets, drivers/speaker, and cables could make a difference.
My observation regarding third person's opionion on PRS is: they are soulless, too shiny, too optically overwhelming, high pricy and hereby especially layers and physicians addressing guitars (and a brand).
My reply is: and therefore I fell in love with the indifferent chameleon of the guitar models, PRS developed (but discontinued), the 513.
You could make your opinion by abstract distanced table top work, legit, or by field exercises in physical direct experience by playing.
My guitar teacher had a Strat, I wasn't comfy with the neck and haptic, my girlfriend at that time owned a Epi LP Custom, same experiences. Indeed my starter guitar was a LP copy, but it felt different. PRS looked always outstanding, the stain, grain, violin style contour of the top. Hell, yes, expensive.
It took me maybe 18 years of touching as a poor pupil with open mouth a PRS Custom 24 in a guitar shop, and 18 years of being really reluctant in buying a PRS, to buy one. And I do not own many, but three PRSi, but they are keepers and they (especially the 513s) trigger me to play my music.
The whole marked of guitars and brands is very much differential. There is plenty options to decide for. Live and let live.
Arguing and bashing consumes the time you better use for playing.

Let me premise that I am the happy owner of 3 of the 4 prs, one s2, one se custom 24 one hollowbody and one standard 594, I owe my disappointment precisely to the standard 594, which lacking the top shows all the poor care used for this model, I find it totally unacceptable to pay 900 € for a guitar so cheap to look at, and I find it really strange that a brand so well cared for in detail, has lost out on such a product. Since I bought it, it has stayed in the case and I don't think I will ever play it, I have the others that make the figure that a person expects from this brand. The standard 594 failed.

Let me premise that I am the happy owner of 3 of the 4 prs, one s2, one se custom 24 one hollowbody and one standard 594, I owe my disappointment precisely to the standard 594, which lacking the top shows all the poor care used for this model, I find it totally unacceptable to pay 900 € for a guitar so cheap to look at, and I find it really strange that a brand so well cared for in detail, has lost out on such a product. Since I bought it, it has stayed in the case and I don't think I will ever play it, I have the others that make the figure that a person expects from this brand. The standard 594 failed.
What issues do you have with the 594? There have been some QC issues coming out of the overseas factory. If you bought it new, you should be able to get it taken care of under warrantee.

Last edited:
What issues do you have with the 495? There have been some QC issues coming out of the overseas factory. If you bought it new, you should be able to get it taken care of under warrantee.
the problem is purely aesthetic a 3-piece body that looks like an old car from the 1950s, I have other guitars from Indonesia (a g&l tribute) with the body 20 times better than this one, and paid half price, I feel that for the amount of money spent, I would have wanted more respect by choosing a brand like prs. Moreover, here in Italy, this model is only available online, so I could neither see it nor try it (and I assure you, seeing it before I would not have taken it), however it also sounds decent, but I repeat, as it is made, it really costs too much, not the prs quality seen before

the problem is purely aesthetic a 3-piece body that looks like an old car from the 1950s, I have other guitars from Indonesia (a g&l tribute) with the body 20 times better than this one, and paid half price, I feel that for the amount of money spent, I would have wanted more respect by choosing a brand like prs. Moreover, here in Italy, this model is only available online, so I could neither see it nor try it (and I assure you, seeing it before I would not have taken it), however it also sounds decent, but I repeat, as it is made, it really costs too much, not the prs quality seen before
Sorry you didn't get to at least see a picture of it before buying it. I don't think I could buy something sight unseen. I need to at least see some pictures. What finish is yours? They typically do a pretty decent job of getting a good veneer on them that look good.

It is pretty common to have a three piece body in those price ranges. Other brands do it as well. Some feel it actually makes a better guitar if the neck bolts into one piece of wood that goes all the way to the end of the body and has a piece glued on it either side of it. Suhr is building one of their newer models this way and that is the exact thinking that John told me was behind the design. He believes having the bridge be on the same piece of wood that the neck is bolted too produces a guitar that rings better. His three piece body guitar is a much higher priced guitar and is purposely built this way so I wouldn't ding a guitar for that.

What finish is yours? They typically do a pretty decent job of getting a good veneer on them that look good.
I believe he bought the Standard SE 594, which is just mahogany, no maple cap/veneer. And I agree that I always want to see pics before buying too - but also, that model had plenty of stock photos when it was introduced, so he certainly shouldn't have been expecting a fancier finish. As to the quality of the grain-matching for a 3 piece body, that certainly can vary, no doubt.

OP - what's the return policy for the site you bought it from? If it plays well and sounds good, I'd be inclined to keep it but if you're unhappy you should be able to return it

I believe he bought the Standard SE 594, which is just mahogany, no maple cap/veneer. And I agree that I always want to see pics before buying too - but also, that model had plenty of stock photos when it was introduced, so he certainly shouldn't have been expecting a fancier finish. As to the quality of the grain-matching for a 3 piece body, that certainly can vary, no doubt.

OP - what's the return policy for the site you bought it from? If it plays well and sounds good, I'd be inclined to keep it but if you're unhappy you should be able to return it

I don't send it back because the reason is not reputed to be valid, as soon as I can I upload the photo, it is totally different from all the ones uploaded online, I repeat, I have other prs, never seen so unprofessional in the care.

Disappointing to read this, and I agree with you. Some of these multi piece bodies it doesn't even look like they are trying. Others look absolutely fantastic. At this price point it shouldn't happen, and if it's going to, atleast be consistent about it. That's half the reason we go PRS, consistency.

Yeah that is a disappointing Std SE 594 for sure. I’ve seen ones much nicer than that.

If you feel comfortable, can you tell us who the dealer is that you bought your guitar from?

It's an Italian dealer called Piazzo, by the way I'm not disappointed by the vendor, it sells what he have, but by the lack of quality actually on PRS market. I own at least other 2 models ordered online both unbelievable quality/price an se custom24 and a Hollowbody standard (my favourite one at the moment). I think the 594 will be the last one I buy online.

I kinda really like that!! I'm not a Prs fan boy at all but that looks killer!! Like those 70s ibanez SGs....or the old BC Rich gunslinger were like that....I guess different strokes for different folks...
If the stripe was centered I'd totally agree.. at first glance I was like cool, followed by missed it by that much.

It's an Italian dealer called Piazzo, by the way I'm not disappointed by the vendor, it sells what he have, but by the lack of quality actually on PRS market. I own at least other 2 models ordered online both unbelievable quality/price an se custom24 and a Hollowbody standard (my favourite one at the moment). I think the 594 will be the last one I buy online.

It’s a shame that the pic that was on the vendors site didn’t reflect what you received.

Hopefully it sounds and plays great, or you can work out a return deal with the dealer.

Best of luck.

Hi Marco, I'm sorry to read about the issues you've had with this guitar, and hope you're able to resolve these.

To return to the comments about PRS, yes I've seen this as well, and agree that most of it's completely uninformed, and often a cheap dig at people they perceive as having enough money to be able to afford what in their view is a soulless "status symbol". Most of this seems to come from Gibson forums for some reason (perhaps historic following the Singlecut issue, or envy over PRS usually being more consistent?). I'm on TDPRi and from what I can see they seem generally complimentary of PRS.

To give an example, my bandmate plays Custom Shop starts and teles - in my view they look as though they've been pulled through a metal hedge backwards though they really do sound and play great. However he gets them out and receives approving nods and admiration from all; however when I pull out my CE 24 (approximately half the price of an average CS Fender here in the UK), or my Core CU24 (market price these days around that of an "entry level" CS , if there's such a thing), I get a few sniffs along the lines of "oh he must have a lot of money' or 'oh that's posh' (same thing really)..... People do seem to be impressed once they have a try, but yes the perception is certainly there!

Ruger9 mentioned the perception about occupations, but again it's an uninformed jibe. People may recall the post about occupations that took place a year to two ago. While this was unscientific it probably covered a pretty representative cross-section of PRS players. One thing that stood out for me was that most respondees seem to have a scientific/technical/engineering background and/or occupation. Whether or not this shows a correlation between occupation and appreciation of a high-quality and well-engineered instrument I'm not sure, but it seems on the basis of this that - myself excluded - the "doctors/dentist/lawyer" jibe is simply unjustified.

Having said this, I regret have to admit as a now retired local government lawyer I get it a bit of this as well, though given I was in the public sector (which has been massively underfunded over here for years) and not well paid for the legal profession I've had to save to buy my guitars rather than them being purchased from income ,and they really have been an investment for me!

My thoughts are just ignore it (or have a laugh reading them) and enjoy playing great instruments!!

Back