Thinking about my 3rd PRS

IRG

Apologies for not being active on this forum during Covid, while others have been playing more especially when working from home, it's had the opposite effect on me. Been playing more music on my HiFi which is now overtaking my guitar hobby. Nevertheless, I've had more of an urge to play lately, hence this post.

I have two PRSi, a S2 Custom 24, (Sweetwater) and a CE24 in Vintage White top (Ish Guitars). Really like them both a lot. And I have a Fender Road Worn Telecaster with hard tweed case. Love the vintage vibe of this guitar. Also had some Gibsons; SG, Les Paul, 335 and some other Fender telecasters and strats. Sold them all to fund the PRS, no regrets.

Over the weekend I restrung my Tele - long overdue. There's a little buzzying on the D string, tried some adjustments, but it's still there, fairly minor. I also dressed the frets for better playability. But once done, I spent more time playing it. 7.25" radius, very little finish on the maple neck, etc. but I find it harder to play compared to my PRS. Like it's fighting me. Love the vibe, but less so the playability. So I might sell it, to fund something new. Might get around $800 or so, with the HSC.Maybe $700, the RW models aren't made anymore, and with a nitro finish on them, and very little (intentional) relicing, it might become sought after in the years ahead, maybe.

So I'd like to replace it with something, "similar". Something that is different enough from my CU24 and CE24. Mostly different pickups at least. The SE Starla comes to mind. Tell me more about the DS-02 pickups? I watched the demo on SW's site with Brian Ewald, and liked what I heard. I LOVE the split coil feature, and use it all the time on my S2 and CE. The Starla is a stop tail which is fine, but funny enough, when I play my PRS, and then the Tele, i find myself reaching for the tremolo bar which doesn't exist. Odd because before the PRSi, almost all of my other guitars didn't have tremolo's.

I thought about an S2 Vela as well. Pricier than what I might want to spend right now. Maybe someday. I really do like the S2 line a lot. The SE line, especially Indonesia built does concern me a bit. I also purchased an SE Mira not long ago, then traded it back to the dealer for the CE24. It was ok, but since I had the S2 already, it was redundant and just not as good. But the Starla, could be ticket.

TLDR: I have gas for something new, to replace a Tele, suggestions welcome, comments on the SE Starla especially welcome.

A couple of others I would consider:

The Tremonti SE Black/Gray $779 - Still dig the Singlecut style, plus this has the tremolo, maple neck could be a plus for brighter tones (I love neck pickups, but not if they're muddy - the 85/15 pickups in my S2 and CE are great in the neck, split or not. How are the Tremonti pickups overall? No split coil, only con.

Se245 - $739 Charcoal Burst colot: Stop tail bridge, how are the "S" pickups? I'm assuming they're less hot than the Tremonti ones. I prefer the solid black pups over zebra. Also, don't want to replace pickups (at least not right away).

SE Paul's Guitar - $999 - this is a stretch, budget wise. But spec wise, I like everything about this guitar. Love the separate toggles for splitting, and really prefer the toggle for pickup selector vs. Slide switch on the Starla. TCI pickups sound like they would be right up my alley. A higher end SE could be just the ticket for me...

No one wants to help me pick out my next PRS? Very unlike this group :)

Actually leaning more towards the SE Paul at the moment...

I'd say the SE Paul's if you can make it work. Some glowing reviews here from peeps that have snagged them. Some many sounds, too. Any way you go, enjoy the hunt! Can't really go wrong. The 245 is a killer guitar. I'm not familiar with the most recent pickups in them, but the older pickups suited the single cut well. Definitely a killer model.

Of those three, and I own, have owned all, my pick would be the SE Pauls also. The SE Pauls has some wonderful tones, the pups being very P90ish, and in the middle position, both coils split, a bit of Tele flavor too.

Reactions: IRG
I'd say the SE Paul's if you can make it work. Some glowing reviews here from peeps that have snagged them. Some many sounds, too. Any way you go, enjoy the hunt! Can't really go wrong. The 245 is a killer guitar. I'm not familiar with the most recent pickups in them, but the older pickups suited the single cut well. Definitely a killer model.

Thanks man, wasn't sure my post was showing up here :) The 245 is interesting, as I love a good SC type guitar. Found their weight to lately bother me a bit, last one I had was a Gibson LP Traditional, probably 10bs or so. Had a couple of quality Epi's too. To make sure I have it right, the SE 245 is more like a traditional LP, Mahogany body, maple top. The SE 245 Standard, is all mahogany. And a couple hundred $ less for some reason (guess adding the maple costs). And the Tremonti SC has a maple neck for additional clarity - similar to my CE24. I actually think I prefer the simplicity of the single master volume/tone vs. having 4 controls.

I'm hearing good things about the SE Paul as well, thanks.

Of those three, and I own, have owned all, my pick would be the SE Pauls also. The SE Pauls has some wonderful tones, the pups being very P90ish, and in the middle position, both coils split, a bit of Tele flavor too.

Thanks, very helpful having all 3! Having decent (or better than) pickups is something I care about more now than before. I don't change pickups often, and it seems like PRS on some models puts a fair amount of effort into having it work right with that guitar. As mentioned, I really like my 85/15 pickups in the two I own, and believe that PRS has really improved on the pickup front over the last few+ years. So having something right out of the box sound and feel good, is a real benefit. Appreciate your input.

OP if youre spending a grand on an SE Pauls guitar I would grab an S2 Vela or Standard, possibly a Satin at that price or used for possibly cheaper...I have Cores S2s and SEs and although the SEs are nice and I have always gigged with them the playability of the S2 and Core, as you know you own 2 Cores is at another level IMO....the S2s are the best bang for the buck in the guitar universe and used you can get them at a steal sometimes and you have an American made with a few Korean parts guitar that absolutely will put a smile on your face every time you play it!

Thanks man, wasn't sure my post was showing up here :) The 245 is interesting, as I love a good SC type guitar. Found their weight to lately bother me a bit, last one I had was a Gibson LP Traditional, probably 10bs or so. Had a couple of quality Epi's too. To make sure I have it right, the SE 245 is more like a traditional LP, Mahogany body, maple top. The SE 245 Standard, is all mahogany. And a couple hundred $ less for some reason (guess adding the maple costs). And the Tremonti SC has a maple neck for additional clarity - similar to my CE24. I actually think I prefer the simplicity of the single master volume/tone vs. having 4 controls.

I'm hearing good things about the SE Paul as well, thanks.
Yep, you got it right.

i remember that ce well, i would forget other guitars and play that twice as much.

I do like the CE, a lot. But you know what, the S2 with the regular pattern neck, might actually be my favorite of the two. I think I slightly prefer the gloss, chunkier neck versus the thinner/maple neck. Not by a lot, just a little same pickups, but the CE has the USA 85/15 - which I don't feel are better than the 85/15 S versions. Both about the same. I got the S2 CU24 to sort of replace my LP and SG models, and the CE is sort of my superstrat type of guitar. But neither can replace a Tele, which is why I still have one. It could just be the more vintage type neck that I'm not quite bonding with lately. I'm going to give it a week or two, and see what I want to do.

OP if youre spending a grand on an SE Pauls guitar I would grab an S2 Vela or Standard, possibly a Satin at that price or used for possibly cheaper...I have Cores S2s and SEs and although the SEs are nice and I have always gigged with them the playability of the S2 and Core, as you know you own 2 Cores is at another level IMO....the S2s are the best bang for the buck in the guitar universe and used you can get them at a steal sometimes and you have an American made with a few Korean parts guitar that absolutely will put a smile on your face every time you play it!

I hear you, and agree with you. A few years back (I call it round 1 with the PRS infatuation) I had an S2 Standard 22. Nice guitar. Didn't ultimately jive with the pickups/tone, and traded it for a USA Strat. Felt like I got the better end of the deal, maybe. Or maybe we both got what we hoped for. Eventually traded that strat for a basic MIM Tele - that I lost on. When I got my more recent S2 Custom 24, that I bonded with quickly. Love the feel, love the tone of the pickups. Got the CE24 to be similar, yet different. Mission accomplished. I'm just searching for #3 at the moment. Could be I'm bored too. I'd also like something with P-90s, and PRS doesn't seem to have much to offer on that front lately. Same with Fender. Gibson - maybe a LP Special with P-90s, another I'm thinking about.

So, just got done playing the CE for a bit, then the Tele. Actually the Tele didn't fight me tonight. Two reasons I think. 1), when I restrung it, I put a bit of carnauba wax on the neck/fretboard, and buffed it out. Maybe it was still a bit "sticky? or absorbing into the fretboard perhaps. 2) I'm in a basement, with a full time dehumidifier and fan on, but last week it was pretty hot/humid, today not so much. And it just felt better. False alarm then? Maybe. Still want another PRS though. I'd really like something with a P-90, since I don't have it my arsenal (technically I do with an Agile Harm1, but that doesn't really count).

None of the guitars you’re talkin’ about are a direct replacement for a Tele (as I’m sure you already know) but for something with a vibe that’s kinda in the family... I’d be looking for a used Core SAS.

Yeah, they’re almost twice the price of what you’re talking about but; W/F neck, most of have trems ( with no reason to upgrade or spend extra money on) and it’s a “real” PRS. A DGT might be another choice but.... they’re like, three times your budget.

In the meantime while you save up and since you’re really thinking about a fourth PRS (it’s good to think in advance) snatch a used SE Soapbar II they’re stupid fun guitars for $300+/-

If you can save a few pennies up, your thoughts around getting a Vela are spot on... It’s my only PRS and it’s just such an easy comfortable guitar to play.. The Starla pickup mixed with the D single coil provides a wide range of voices... I love my Strat and Gibson’s but I just keep picking the Vela up as it sounds sooooo good

I do think one of the Vela’s wonders is the Tele style bridge... but if you are keen on a waggly arm thingy the studio would also be a good choice

I’m going to suggest something out of left field. It’s been out of production for some time, but it’s one of my very favorite guitars.

The SE Soapbar II: All mahogany, single coils, light body, W/F neck, reacts well to rolling off the volume.

You could buy two and still have money left in your budget.

Can't go wrong with any mentioned above...
used Vela (for the $$$), best bet, IMHO...and all around different tone monster.
Love the thought of an S2 Studio, also. (same PUs, plus 1.)
Soaps kill it, so like Serg and Tim said...used SE Soap II, or even an SE One, are affordable tone monsters!!!
Of Course, an older SAS slays all!!!...;):D:D:D
Enjoy the hunt!!!

Back