Thinking about my 3rd PRS

None of the guitars you’re talkin’ about are a direct replacement for a Tele (as I’m sure you already know) but for something with a vibe that’s kinda in the family... I’d be looking for a used Core SAS.

Yeah, they’re almost twice the price of what you’re talking about but; W/F neck, most of have trems ( with no reason to upgrade or spend extra money on) and it’s a “real” PRS. A DGT might be another choice but.... they’re like, three times your budget.

In the meantime while you save up and since you’re really thinking about a fourth PRS (it’s good to think in advance) snatch a used SE Soapbar II they’re stupid fun guitars for $300+/-

remind what the SAS acronym is? I should know by now, lol. In general, definitely prefer a core or S2 over any SE, who wouldn’t right, but there are some SE models I like, the Soapbar models being one. Just checking on Reverb, and not many there, with shipping and taxes your closer to $600 or more now, guess the secrets out. I wonder why PRS doesn’t make any SE models with P90’s? Seems like there is a market for them.

And yeah, I should start planning for #4 soon too. I have the audiophile bug pretty bad too, and that is not an inexpensive hobby at all.

If you can save a few pennies up, your thoughts around getting a Vela are spot on... It’s my only PRS and it’s just such an easy comfortable guitar to play.. The Starla pickup mixed with the D single coil provides a wide range of voices... I love my Strat and Gibson’s but I just keep picking the Vela up as it sounds sooooo good

Yeah the Vela is pretty high on my list.

SAS = Swamp Ash Special. If you're considering an SE Paul's, be sure to watch Dave's Guitars' website. They regularly post "used" examples at significant discounts.

forgot about this site, does indeed have some good values, thanks.

Mulling over options. And thinking about what I like about my current guitars and what features I want in the next one. I like having the trem, although not essential. I prefer single vol/tone controls. And I might prefer the single cut style next. So the se Santana checks a lot of boxes. Not sure I like the solid gold look though, gold top only would have been awesome. TCI pickups sound great in the Brian Ewald video, but i suspect he can make a shoebox sound good. I wish the pickups could be split but maybe not essential - one less thing to fuss about.

I have a SW account, no interest financing is nice so looking at their offerings currently. No rush to decide.

#4 in the future will likely be another Core/S2, new or used,

Back