Ever consider selling several PRS to buy a single Private Stock?

I have suffered the Quantity vs. Quality thing many times in the past...most of the time, trading Fs and Gs in for another PRS...now all in, and yes, have considered a mambo trade for a PS, but I love the ones I have...my only actual duplicates are my Swamps, but They are each their own character ...but I do understand. Dana at the factory jokingly gives me crap about the lack of a PS, and has almost convinced me. Right now, the stable is pretty full, but I am loving them all!! Yeah, one day...and it will be damned close to the green 305 PS that was out at a recent experience...my perfect axe!! Damn, that was gorgeous!!

Good thread. I am looking at selling some instruments to fund a pauls guitar. I would like to get by with two electrics if possible. One for me and one for friends that visit. Guitars are for playing not for looking at and if you can't afford the risk of scratching or damaging an instrument then for me it's not worth owning.

No one removers jimi hendrix because he played a red strat instead of a black one, or Larry Carlton because he has a golden 335 and not a red one. Eric Clapton played his best music on a Gibson but has played strats for years.

Private t stock instruments are about looks and vanity and image rather than about quality of music. I love looking at them and admire them as beautiful examples of what an be done to polish and stain wood. As a musical instrument though I'm not even sure what they really represent. Some musos willy Nelson eg like to have the seemingly worst looking instrument possible.

My my advice ask yourself how much of the ps desire is about owning a look and how much is about musical quality

I try and keep my # pretty constant ( 7 electrics 1 or 2 Acoustics ) and I usually have all the scale lengths covered I have sold or am selling some pretty nice guitars to get what I have now.
( Sold KL33 , Mira 245 Selling Les Paul ( I think) ) to get my MEII and Knaggs
I don't think I could do a sell off for one guitar it would be just to much to give up.
I would have to save for a PS if I got one.
But I love to see what other get :)

Did you regret losing the other ones while you had the PS though?

Not all of them. The Standard 22 Studio and the HB PS (#935) will always be on my sellers remorse list though. Because I've never seen another 22 Studio Standard with birds - and the buyer wouldn't sell it back to me (I tried). I don't know how to contact the PS buyer any more, but a family all went together to buy it and give it to their patriarch as a present - so I doubt he would sell either.

I did just this to get my Modern Eagle. Cost me a couple of really nice guitars. Funny part is I never play the ME, I mean like never. It probably has just a few hours play time on it as I am somehow paranoid about damaging it or having the faded blue finish disappear on me. Ironic part is it is by far the best feeling, playing, and sounding guitar I own. I think about getting a PS but wonder if I will feel and treat it like the ME and that would be a shame and waste.

Play that thing every day for a week Paul ...................... That will cure you :D

I love the romantic idea of having one instrument that defines me and that I would share all of my musical life with. In the past I thought that was possible as I used my CE24 pretty much exclusively for 20+ years, but my tastes have changed and until I could narrow it down to one guitar that exactly filled every need.... Not yet.

Play that thing every day for a week Paul ...................... That will cure you :D

Seriously. Paul Smith would be PISSED if he read this. They build guitars to be PLAYED, not to be looked at like an art exhibit.

I don't know, having never played a PS guitar, I have no perspective on how good they are, though folks rant and rave about them. I have been through enough guitars to know that it's hard to know if what you get will be "the one" until you play it. And with a PS, you aren't going to play it until after the bill has been paid.

I once ordered a guitar based on one I played and liked, only to have the resulting guitar be terrible, truly horrible. The dealer refused to take it back because it was a special order. I lost half my money in resale. The experience put me off to ever trying it again.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and couldn't be happier...

Was good friends with a dealer who got in a VERY special PS that he'd ordered for himself. He wasn't totally thrilled with it, but I was, so he sold it to me. I traded in a Cu24, a Cu22 Soapbar, a Tremonti, and maybe even a Santana 3 for a BRW Custom 24. I *still* have the guitar for over 10 years now. Once I put 57/08s in it, the thing came ALIVE. Plus, if you buy any of the guitar cleaner sprays from PRS, it has the pic of my guitar on it :)

Back