Entertaining my imagination. Amp question

Elliot

Gandalf the Vintage Yellow
Does PRS make an amp that switches from 20ish watts to 5ish watts? Kind of like the mesa boogie express?

if not, what else is out there besides mesa/boogie for something like that?

Not yet; high gain isn’t my thing, but if I have the opportunity to try one, I sure will.

I figured. High gain not my biggest interest either. I would like to play more metal eventually.

I figured. High gain not my biggest interest either. I would like to play more metal eventually.

On the cheap, you can't beat the MT-15. There is a ton of gain, but you can dial it back to more moderate levels. The cleaning channel is really good. Nothing in the price range ($650) beats it, IMO. If you're looking to spend a little more, an Archon 50w head is killer. You can do half power to 25w. The cleans are really good, and the gain channel can get you from AC/DC to the most modern of metal.

Outside of PRS, the Bogner Atma does 18, 5, and 1w. It's a glorious sounding amp. A little pricey, and the clean channel is only ok. IMO, one of the best low wattage amps out there. I have an Archon, MT-15 and Atma and wouldn't trade any of them. All killer, no filler.

Would help a little bit to know what kind of sound you want to be going for. Just stating 20 to 5 ish watts doesn't help too much.

If you're after anything classic/vintage marshall ballpark I'd put forward the Bluguitar amp 1 designed by Thomas Blug. I've been very impressed by his demos of it. Technically it's a 100W amp, but it is powered by a class D amp and can basically be set to any volume level you like (and it doesn't need a speaker load so you can go direct to headphones/line level if you want). Can do anything from bedroom to stadium and is tiny and light

I go a different route. Guitar amp into load box into small powered monitors. Best tone you'll get at low volume. Great speaker IR models available cheap or free.

Does PRS make an amp that switches from 20ish watts to 5ish watts? Kind of like the mesa boogie express?

if not, what else is out there besides mesa/boogie for something like that?

Seeing as you mentioned a Mesa Express, is there something you don't like about those? There are a ton of amps out there with low power options so you have a lot of choices. Even finding a more powerful amp with a good master volume can work well. A lot depends on why you want a 5 watt amp. They can still be painfully loud for home use if you turn them up.

The PRS Archon 50 has a good MV as does a Mesa Mark V.

I particularly like the Peter Denenberg, Davey Knowles "trouser flap technology" analogy from one of the Experience events. It referred to standing in front of your cabinet, and the volume being such that the air being pushed by the speakers "made your trousers flap".
I haven't felt that since 1982.

I particularly like the Peter Denenberg, Davey Knowles "trouser flap technology" analogy from one of the Experience events. It referred to standing in front of your cabinet, and the volume being such that the air being pushed by the speakers "made your trousers flap".
I haven't felt that since 1982.

Because so few of us wear bell-bottoms any more. :)

I've gone a different direction a bit. I definitely have some ADHD tendencies, bear with me.

I'm kind of entertaining the idea of getting either a custom 50 or an archon 50.

I like that with the archon you can half the power plus you have a master volume. It seems that using only half the power section gives you the ability to push those tubes harder with less soaking from the master volume. Which seems like the preferable thing to do. My concern with the archon is: yes, I would like the ability to use high gain, but I also want a good low gain sound for classic rock / blues. I've watched a few demos but it's really hard to find an archon demo with classic rock and blues.

Concern with the custom 50: not enough amp gain for when I do want a high gain sound. not switchable to half power (if that's a valid concern)

I've gone a different direction a bit. I definitely have some ADHD tendencies, bear with me.

I'm kind of entertaining the idea of getting either a custom 50 or an archon 50.

I like that with the archon you can half the power plus you have a master volume. It seems that using only half the power section gives you the ability to push those tubes harder with less soaking from the master volume. Which seems like the preferable thing to do. My concern with the archon is: yes, I would like the ability to use high gain, but I also want a good low gain sound for classic rock / blues. I've watched a few demos but it's really hard to find an archon demo with classic rock and blues.

Concern with the custom 50: not enough amp gain for when I do want a high gain sound. not switchable to half power (if that's a valid concern)

Can I be the first to say, “get both?” ;)

Just kidding ya. I’d get the amp that works best conceptually for what you play the most often. Alternate tones can always be had with the right pedals.

With a 50 Watt amp that has a good master volume, I don’t see all that much benefit to half power. If it was a 100 Watt amp, different story.

The reason I’m suggesting getting the one that fits your most-played style is that I’m convinced amps are a “horses for courses” thing, perhaps even more than guitars. I’ve never really been happy trying to get an amp to be what its personality and voicing don’t really want to be. Sure, it’ll do in a pinch, but a Diezel is fundamentally not going to masquerade successfully as a Tweed Deluxe, to draw an analogy.

Honestly, that’s why I have more than one amp (and I think you’re rockin’ several as well?).

Last edited:
Back