Entertaining my imagination. Amp question

Can I be the first to say, “get both?” ;)

Just kidding ya. I’d get the amp that works best conceptually for what you play the most often. Alternate tones can always be had with the right pedals.

With a 50 Watt amp that has a good master volume, I don’t see all that much benefit to half power. If it was a 100 Watt amp, different story.

Always appreciate your insight. This unfortunately leads me down a slippery slope...

If a 50 watt amp with a master volume is good enough to dial in some decent tone at lower volumes... then why not just get an Archon 100 that can be switched to 50? All the amp I would ever need, plus lots more.

You can always get your gain sound from a pedal using clean channel

Can i suggest a line6 hx stomp? Can put it on your pedal board and run it with different preamp models and/or drive pedals, plus does stereo headphones too.

I have one on the way and chomping at the bit to use...

Id love a 25watt archon at home

Elliot,

I’ve owned both, as have several others here. I’d be surprised if any who have owned both don’t agree with what I’m going to say. Get a Custom 50. It has a LOT of gain when turned up, but it has much more range on the gain control to get the other tones you want. The Archon gain comes on fast!

I took my prized JAN 5751 out of the V25 last weekend and I haven’t had a chance to try it in V3 of the Archon yet. Pending the outcome of that, I’d strongly suggest the C50. Then if you want to make it more aggressive in the gain, you can hit it with a boost that can push some treble, like the Timmy. It can get pretty aggressive with a Timmy or EQ hitting it.

Always appreciate your insight. This unfortunately leads me down a slippery slope...

If a 50 watt amp with a master volume is good enough to dial in some decent tone at lower volumes... then why not just get an Archon 100 that can be switched to 50? All the amp I would ever need, plus lots more.

Ok, this added topics to my first reply. Not all “half power” switches are created equal. In fact, in the 50 and 100 watt Archons, the two half power switches DO NOT do the same thing. On the 100, they cut out two of the four power tubes, and does not change the output tubes operating mode. It’s Pentode in full or half power.

The 50 watt Archon “half power” switch takes it from Pentode to Triode output tube operation. As anyone who’s had this feature on an amp before can tell you, the modes do not sound the same. Pentode is punchier, tighter, with more extended top and bottom end. Triode is softer and smoother. The mode switch isn’t going to be used as much to change the volume, as it is to dial the tone. I prefer the way the 50 watt Archon half power switch works for this reason as it truly gives you another “tonal” option and not just less power.

The foot switches are also different between the C50 and A50. Archon has channel and loop on/off, which is SUPER cool. But, C50 has Channel, Reverb and Boost (with knobs on the back of the amp to set boost levels)... different, but very cool choices.

Again, C50 is more what you’re looking for.

Thanks for the reply DTR!

Again, C50 is more what you’re looking for.

Really? Cause I was kind of leaning towards the archon.

It seems that I could probably dial in some bluesy sound in the archon if I switch to half power (like you said) or if I use gain pedals to shape the clean channel.

It seems easier to do that, then to try to get a high gain metal sound from the C50

....bluguitar amp 1.
2 channels/4 amp types:
1. Fender bassman/Silverface
2. Marshall JTM45
3. Marshall JCM800...plus a bit more
4. Soldando SLO/Mesa etc modern gain sound

Boost switch with gain control.

100 watts, but a valve into a class D amplifier, so you can dial in some power amp drive, but turn the overall volume down on the class D amp to what you want. But at the same time can power a 4x12 at large venue volumes.

And because it's a class D amp, you don't need a load, so can run it's speaker emulated headphone/line out straight into a PA without anything else connected.

Check out Thomas Blug demoing it. It sounds great to my ears, especially the videos where he compares it A/B to a stack of vintage amps.

IMHO, it's easier to take an amp that already has a lot of gain, and rough it up a bit than it is to take one that has a TON of gain and smooth it out. The Archon gain comes on fast. That doesn't mean you can't find a spot WAY down on the gain knob that gets the mid gain tones you want, it's just not as easy as the C50. The C50 with the gain up has a lot of gain. Open up the presence, suck some mids, hit it with a bright boost and it will do metal more than adequately for the "casual metal head." LOL If you're looking for that classic JCM800 open, punchy "not that much preamp gain" but with a pushed PI and output section, that's tougher to get with the Archon than the C50 because the gain comes on so fast.

But I would NEVER tell you not to get an Archon. You may love it. I certainly do. From what you've said and what you want, I feel the C50 is the better option. Seems you really want an Archon though. I suggest playing them through a known cab before deciding. But I also know that's really tough. Hopefully someone else will chime in so this isn't just one opinion.

I know it's not PRS. But I find this concept appealing. I wonder if we'll see anyone else go down this path.

Worth watching even if it's just to keep ahead of what else is out there

IMHO, it's easier to take an amp that already has a lot of gain, and rough it up a bit than it is to take one that has a TON of gain and smooth it out. The Archon gain comes on fast. That doesn't mean you can't find a spot WAY down on the gain knob that gets the mid gain tones you want, it's just not as easy as the C50. The C50 with the gain up has a lot of gain. Open up the presence, suck some mids, hit it with a bright boost and it will do metal more than adequately for the "casual metal head." LOL If you're looking for that classic JCM800 open, punchy "not that much preamp gain" but with a pushed PI and output section, that's tougher to get with the Archon than the C50 because the gain comes on so fast.

But I would NEVER tell you not to get an Archon. You may love it. I certainly do. From what you've said and what you want, I feel the C50 is the better option. Seems you really want an Archon though. I suggest playing them through a known cab before deciding. But I also know that's really tough. Hopefully someone else will chime in so this isn't just one opinion.

Great stuff DTR. I appreciate it

I'm gonna veto DTR :D. I had the Custom 50, and have the Archon 50. They are both great amps, no doubt about it. But, IMO, the Custom 50 didn't sound REALLY good until you cranked it up some. That "some" was more than I could get away with living in a townhouse. If I lived in a house, it would be louder than I could get away with if the wife was home. Having said that, I think the Archon does the low volume thing much better. And, if you're really looking for those classic rock tones, clean channel and pedals is a great place.

Aristotle posted this video a couple of years ago of his Archon and some "non-Archon" tones. Once the crunch starts in, it's on the Lead channel for the rest of the video. I think it speaks volumes for the capabilities of the Archon.

Like DTR said, he would NEVER tell someone not to get an Archon. I think that's the way to go. Archon all the way!

I don't have a problem with your post, except that you misspelled Vito.
51pY9T7WNAL.jpg

:p

Back