Electronics upgrade for PRS S2

AtomicBlaze

I just ordered an S2 Standard 24, they were on sale at Guitar Center and I loved the way it played. I read that the electronics are not too great in the S2 and many people recommend replacing them. I am most likely going to replace the pickups to BKP. My question is where do I order the higher quality american version of the PRS electronics? Also any pickup recommendations for anybody that has an S2?

If you insist on the PRS pots and switches, you will pay a premium. Your best bet for price is to get them from John Manns Guitar Vault.

A couple of CTS pots and a good quality blade switch from stew mac will be more than good enough and save you a lot of money. PRS pots and switches aren't magical by any means.

I'd recommend that you play it and try new amp/pedal settings before upgrading. You might actually like the pickups.

I actually just ordered a BKP Holy Diver set for it. Maybe if I end up liking the PRS pickups I will put the Holy Diver set in a different guitar. I have a guitar that has EMGs that I really want to swap out also.

If you insist on the PRS pots and switches, you will pay a premium. Your best bet for price is to get them from John Manns Guitar Vault.

A couple of CTS pots and a good quality blade switch from stew mac will be more than good enough and save you a lot of money. PRS pots and switches aren't magical by any means.

Thanks, is it true that the import PRS electronics are low quality? How do you know what pots and switches are compatible with the S2, and are better quality then whatever is in the S2?

The only shortcoming I found was the volume pots they use. Worth the swap to core PRS, RS super pot, or other high spec CTS brand. That is IF you don't like the stock one. Many people like them fine.

The caps and push pull pots are great, and a waste of money to swap out IMO.

Pickups are totally subjective, so play the guitar for at least a few weeks first. You may decide you are happy with them, and if not, you'll have an idea what you would want to change with the tone of a new set.

Ultimately, who cares what us jokers on the Internet think. Make up your own mind. :cool:

Thanks, is it true that the import PRS electronics are low quality? How do you know what pots and switches are compatible with the S2, and are better quality then whatever is in the S2?

Most here won't say it, but I will. The electronics are not up to the standard of an American made guitar. I know of a few peoples volume pots that went, me included. It was the very first time I had a pot crap out on me in 25 years of playing electric guitar. I thought it was a fluke until I heard of others. So, that signals a trend.

Compatibility? Well, a pot is a pot. Just need to make sure they are 500k. Bourns and CTS are highly regarded. The EVH and Yngwie Malmsteen branded pots are great. I found the stock 3 way blade switch to be ok but if I am replacing parts, I usually just do the complete gut. CRL makes great switches. So does Oak. Megaswitches are a nice option because they are prewired for certain configs. You can get a 5-way blade megaswitch and have positions 2 and 4 be the coil splits. I did that on another guitar and it's great. I like gutting electronics because its another level of personalizing your guitar.

Thanks everyone for the info, it has been very helpful. PRS is the only major brand that I don't have much experience with. I just hope the guitar I ordered plays as nice as the one I tried in Guitar Center, acoustically it sounded a lot like my Les Paul Studio, but the neck and fret board was way better.

I guess I'm the minority here... I haven't had many problems with the electronics on my S2's. The volume pot on my CU22 Semi was a little scratchy after a few months, but a shot of contact cleaner fixed it and I haven't had a problem since. The electronics on my Satin 22 have been flawless. I'm not saying they'll be perfect, but give them a shot.

The pickups have been good, I think it just boils down to preference.

I just purchased an S2 Standard 24 Satin for the same reason, the big GC sale. I am a habitual tinkerer and, having read some negative things about the electronics and pickups in the S2s, went into it fully expecting a small project. Well, after a week or so with it, I'm disinclined to change anything at all. The electronics are smooth and feel nice to me, and although the pickups are a little bitey, they are easily tamed with what feels like a generous taper on the volume knob. So, ultimately, I'm leaving mine stock for now and enjoying it!

I just purchased an S2 Standard 24 Satin for the same reason, the big GC sale. I am a habitual tinkerer and, having read some negative things about the electronics and pickups in the S2s, went into it fully expecting a small project. Well, after a week or so with it, I'm disinclined to change anything at all. The electronics are smooth and feel nice to me, and although the pickups are a little bitey, they are easily tamed with what feels like a generous taper on the volume knob. So, ultimately, I'm leaving mine stock for now and enjoying it!

What are the pickups similar to compared to other brands like SD, or BKP, Gibson? I am picking up mine today, I will probably wait at least a month before I replace anything. Even though I have some BKPs ready to put in if needed.

I'm sorry, I don't have a great reference point on how to describe them. All I could say is they're certainly hotter than the PAF-style HBs I usually use. They have more midrange presence, not as much bass, plenty of treble that's easy to roll off. I tend to use them with the tone around 7 and the volume at 8ish for that "low, gainy drive" sort of sound. Right on the verge of breaking up. Just play with the knobs a lot with these pickups, they're very easy to tame and dial in.

I'm sorry, I don't have a great reference point on how to describe them. All I could say is they're certainly hotter than the PAF-style HBs I usually use. They have more midrange presence, not as much bass, plenty of treble that's easy to roll off. I tend to use them with the tone around 7 and the volume at 8ish for that "low, gainy drive" sort of sound. Right on the verge of breaking up. Just play with the knobs a lot with these pickups, they're very easy to tame and dial in.

I just got my PRS S2 today and I really like the pickups, they are almost exactly like I wanted it to sound, I think I will most likely be leaving it stock.

Man I love this guitar already, it is a real joy to play and sounds perfect. I would be afraid to even mess around and change anything. I love the satin finish also, and its so light feels like it weighs 5 lb.

Ask some advice from the group: What are the drill hole sizes for the pots on say a ‘14 S2 Custom 22, are they import or core. When upgrading does anyone pre make a harness to turn Vol/Push/Pull Tone/ 3 lever stock on S2 Custom 22
To a Vol/Tone/5 way? Thanks guys!

Back