S2 electronics advice

rockinforJesus

I have a 2014 S2 Starla that has a scratchy volume pot. From what I’ve been told, the S2’s and SE’s use import electronics. I am guessing these parts are sub-par when compared to Core instruments’ electronics.
Here’s what I’m thinking… I have a hard time using the push/pull knob at times because my fingers slip off the knob. I really like the stock knobs though. Maybe replace the volume pot for a quality CTS pot, and change the blade switch to a 5-Way switch so I can still have the split sounds as well as humbucker sounds.
Has anyone done this mod?
PRS has an upgraded switch on their accessory website that might fit the bill https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/parts/products/copy-of-5-way-blade-switch-pickup-selector
Not sure if they include a wiring disgram though, so I still have a bit of homework to do. Also thinking with a 5 way switch I would lose one of the split positions though?
Any advice is appreciated.

…I’d replace the tone pot also to ditch the push/pull feature. Anyone got a schematic for this? Nothing for this mod on PRS’ website support section.

or change to speed knobs. I find speed knobs very easy to pick up compared to prs types.
I tend to find core push pull pots are slightly taller than s2/se types. So when installing them they hover higher, which I absolutely love. This has been my experience on the PRS drop in kit for the s2 594 series

I've had the same experience with the electronics on a couple of my S2's. Contact cleaner works fine to get the volume pots silent again, but I did have a 3 way blade fall apart on me, which I replaced with a core version, it was a direct drop in, as I would imagine the 5 way would be, although the terminals/solder points were different, which took a little head scratching. You'll just have to figure out what wires on the import pickups in your guitar correspond to which wires on the USA pickups in the diagram.

You could also do a pair of mini toggles, which they're selling in the Accessory shop, which would probably be the easiest to figure out, and also give you the most versatility. I'm liking that setup a lot on my SSH.

I'd also say replace the all the electronics with core stuff while you're at it. The blade will probably drop right in, you may need to open up the holes slightly for the diameter of the pot shafts, but that'll be easy since you're just working on the pickguard.

I have a 2014 S2 Starla that has a scratchy volume pot. From what I’ve been told, the S2’s and SE’s use import electronics. I am guessing these parts are sub-par when compared to Core instruments’ electronics.
Here’s what I’m thinking… I have a hard time using the push/pull knob at times because my fingers slip off the knob. I really like the stock knobs though. Maybe replace the volume pot for a quality CTS pot, and change the blade switch to a 5-Way switch so I can still have the split sounds as well as humbucker sounds.
Has anyone done this mod?
PRS has an upgraded switch on their accessory website that might fit the bill https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/parts/products/copy-of-5-way-blade-switch-pickup-selector
Not sure if they include a wiring disgram though, so I still have a bit of homework to do. Also thinking with a 5 way switch I would lose one of the split positions though?
Any advice is appreciated.

The switch you linked is just a standard 5-way; not a great choice for two-pickup guitars. You would want their other 5-way, the one with a bunch more lugs on it, or I personally would buy a super switch for half the cost.

Yes you would have to give up a position. I shared how to do splits in positions 2 & 4 here: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/prs-wiring-mods-resource-thread.45759/post-600877

Replacing the push/pull pot with a push/push is a great idea. You'd keep the same functionality and some people find them easier to operate.

I definitely recommend going with a PRS core volume pot. It's the only electronic component of theirs that I feel is worth the premium price.

I’ve been told, the S2’s and SE’s use import electronics.
I believe (at least from what I have been able to research) that all the electronics (CTS pots in all models) ... are made in Asia. The difference is specifications

CTS (Chicago Telephone Supply)) is a USA company, right here in Chicagoland (Lisle IL) . Founded to make parts for the original Bell telephones in the late 1800's , they make all kinds of waay more sophisticated electronic devises, but something as basic as a guitar pot... is made in Asia

For your "scratchy" pot ? Pull it out of the guitar, an DeOxIt ! (spray stuff contact cleaner)

Back