Dogs and such

Shawn@PRS

yogi
I know many of you have furry family members. Do any of you "dog guys" have any experience with antlers as chew toys? I gave one to my dog and he likes to throw it around (mostly because it makes a lot of noise on the wood floors) but he doesn't really chew on it. Anyone have suggestions for a good chew toy for a pup?

be wary of anything that can be broken into pieces. rope toys are especially bad for dogs that will mow through them. natural, untreated chews are better. source them from where you know how they were made. dogs rule!

Kong makes some great toys. Some are "practically indestructable," which I found meant, "can still be mangled by the right dog." Most are odd-shaped, so they bounce in funny ways, which is good for chasers. Some have holes where you can put in a trat or some peanut butter, and dogs will spend hours working to get it out.

Ropes are good...I had a guy tell me you can get cotton rope cut to length at Lowe's or HD for a lot cheaper than the premade rope bones (just tie off the ends), but I usually buy three or four when they are on clearance, and that lasts.

Finally, tennis balls...we just buy a tin in the sporting goods section for less than those made for dogs. My parents live in a retirement community, and they have a bin of worn out balls(I hear some bad jokes) for those with walkers walkers...my dad will snag a couple every time they come to visit.

My two guys love elk antlers as chew toys. I have found though that you have to be careful to get the ones that are still "brown" and not "gray". The gray ones are normally a couple years old when they're picked up - those shatter. The brown ones are fresh drops when they're picked up and don't break into shards. Both my beagle mix and my brittany will chew on those things for hours.

Kongs are another good one, particularly with treats stuffed into spray cheese or peanut putter down in the holes.

+1 on the Kong balls, -1 on their indestructibility. Our dog has torn through four or five of them, and she's not a big dog. Put a treat inside - especially one that's hard to get out, and the dog is occupied for hours. When our dog gets frustrated, she'll pounce around it and bark at it.

And the empty cans from these:

51sBmCTW8oL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

Somewhere I have a picture of our dog wearing the top ring from the can on her nose - she tore the paper sides apart to get to the bottom, but instead of going through the side, she when through the top. The dog's a knucklehead.

Shawn my dog is on her 2nd antler. She loves to chew on it. But the question i need to ask is how old is your puppy? My pup is in the start of her chewing phase. -- 9 months and t can last til 2 yrs old. Trainer recommended antlers since she getting into chewing phase. She destroys normal dog toys in mins. The antler is the only thing she can not destroy for months. Try soaking it in chicken broth for some added flavor!!!!

My dogs love pig ears, don't last too long but they love em. Also any rawhide toys that have beef flavor in them they will work on. As for toys they love the animals that are empty, with no filling. They drag them all over the house.

I second a Kong as well. Bully sticks are good, but they sure do smell.

Thanks for the replies guys. My pup is three months old and he's pretty small too, so I don't think I need the indestructibility of he Kong products. But I'll certainly check to see if they make them in his size. A full size tennis ball is too big for him, he can't get his mouth around it. I'll try soaking the antler in chicken broth to enhance the flavor too.

The first pic was taken about a month ago and the second one was just the other day He's turning out to be a very good dog

finn.jpg

photo-28.JPG

Slightly over a year ago this was Lady.
2012-12-22_08-54-39_707_zpsa56a4552.jpg

And ever since, our house has been littered with the carcasses of toys too numerous to count.

Kong bone:
image_zps03b41a8a.jpg

Tennis balls (Notice the nose sneaking in on the left. I touched it so that means I want to play.)
image_zps8417c779.jpg

Stuffed toys:

(Used to be a springy dog)
image_zpsc36064e5.jpg

(Used to be a hedgehog)
image_zpsa40584c0.jpg

All from a 14 pound terror. (Who saw me touch the dog carcass and demands I play).
image_zps5a79e384.jpg

Shawn the local pet store you got the antler from should have some more your pups size

We have an 80 pound German Shepherd and a 6 pound Maltese. Kong makes toys for each.

Basically the little dog has one stuffed toy his size, and gets lots of Begging Littles treats. The shepherd has a toy box with various toys. We buy bully sticks and the empty hooves too.

Thanks for the replies guys. My pup is three months old and he's pretty small too, so I don't think I need the indestructibility of he Kong products. But I'll certainly check to see if they make them in his size. A full size tennis ball is too big for him, he can't get his mouth around it. I'll try soaking the antler in chicken broth to enhance the flavor too.

The first pic was taken about a month ago and the second one was just the other day He's turning out to be a very good dog

View attachment 1145

View attachment 1146

Spencer's out for a stroll looking all boss.

I know many of you have furry family members. Do any of you "dog guys" have any experience with antlers as chew toys? I gave one to my dog and he likes to throw it around (mostly because it makes a lot of noise on the wood floors) but he doesn't really chew on it. Anyone have suggestions for a good chew toy for a pup?

My dog loves to chew on my shin bone. :(

(RIP Rodney Dangerfield)

Maggie looks so content. :biggrin:

She is. She carries around her squeaky toys, and when she's done squeaking them, she uses them as a pillow and rests her chin on them. They're like her security blankets...

Back