Does PRS do vibrant violet finishes anymore?

ItsGiusto

I'm interested in a deep, vibrant purple PRS. I like colors ranging from this:

xjfhplwvmmyq6vrf12dq.jpg

to this:

PRSPS2786MCCARTYFADEDRASPBERRY007.jpg

to this:

SbzZV7X.jpeg

I browse listings, but I'm not sure I'm seeing as much stuff come up in this color as a year or two ago.
I know PRSes of these colors have problems with fading. Has this caused PRS to discontinue such colors?

They’ve discontinued this finish on one of my guitars called Northern Lights, due to fading complaints, though mine hasn’t faded because my guitars are cased when I’m not playing them.

This is mine; if it’s faded at all since 2016 I sure can’t tell.

DR3O7Yg.jpg

They’ve done dealer runs in similar finishes, though. I had a 2021 Special in blue with a purple burst. So they’re out there.

I think it’s purple Iris and purple mist these days. My SSH is purple iris. I really like that color. But I think those may lack that purple-pink-blue of the northern lights that you seem to like?

The top picture in the OP looks like PRS' Violet to me. It was available on core guitars 5-odd years ago, but I don't think it's still offered. The other guitars look like Private Stock to me and that's a whole other thing.

Color me a fan (see what I did there?) of both Purple Iris and Purple Mist lately. I don't know how "vibrant" you'd consider those; but having never been a big fan of purple guitars, those ones seem to be persuading me into the violet world.

I think it’s purple Iris and purple mist these days. My SSH is purple iris. I really like that color. But I think those may lack that purple-pink-blue of the northern lights that you seem to like?

Color me a fan (see what I did there?) of both Purple Iris and Purple Mist lately. I don't know how "vibrant" you'd consider those; but having never been a big fan of purple guitars, those ones seem to be persuading me into the violet world.
Yeah, I'm not into purple iris and purple mist. Too rosy red, or too dark. Not purple enough.

Yeah, I'm not into purple iris and purple mist. Too rosy red, or too dark. Not purple enough.
This is the 2021 Special I no longer have. It’s Aquabluex Purple Smokeburst - it won’t have enough violet for you.

However I’ve seen a similar finish that’s its opposite, with purple as the main color and blue as the burst color. However, be aware that some violet colors fade to a pink shade very quickly, which might explain the rosy red you see. Blue will fade as well, unless it's cased when not in use.

So if the color of the finish is super-important it's something to keep in mind.

I prefer the traditional/classic amber-to-dark-amber shades; they seem to look better over the years. But I'm kind of a sucker for the blue and violet combinations, hence the two I've pictured.

Point is, PRS is still doing violet shades and combinations.

FpLVWEQ.jpg

Last edited:
Back