Does it ever get old (aka: am I really a douche?)

“Good morning, worthy gentlemen and ladies. I’ve brought my quartet. Where shall we set up?”

“Is that a Stradivarius in your violin case?”

“Why, yes. I only recently acquired it.”

“Hmmmf! Strads are for solicitors, bloodletters, and nobility with more money than sense! They have no character.’

“And what do you play, if I may ask?”

“I (ahem) play a Tomb Classic light relic from the Battista Doneda Custom Shop. See, it even has holes from wood worms, smells like it has spent months with a decomposing corpse who loved it so much he was buried with it, and then was peed on by its second owner’s cat. That, my good man, is artistry!”

“Do you play out with it at royal events and such? I haven’t seen you at them for some reason.”

“God, no! I’m strictly a potato cellar player.”

Last edited:
“Good morning, worthy gentlemen and ladies. I’ve brought my quartet. Where shall we set up?”

“Hmmmf! Strads are for solicitors, bloodletters, and nobility with more money than sense! They have no character.’

“I (ahem) play a Tomb Classic light relic from the Battista Doneda Custom Shop. See, it even has holes from wood worms, smells like it has spent months with a decomposing corpse who loved it so much he was buried with it, and then was peed on by its second owner’s cat. That, my good man, is artistry!”

“Do you play out with it?”

In the construction idustry we see similar things in new buildings. ex: columns in the middle of windows, exposed concrete ceilings with layout marks still all over them, plumbing lines sticking half way out of a wall. A guy i work with has dubbed it the "modern urban decay" look and they are now features you have to pay extra for.

“Do you play out with it at royal events and such? I haven’t seen you at them for some reason.”

That is the perfect summary. Love it

you sir, have won the Intenet for today

I've been playing PRS guitars since 1988. Then it was "WOW, that's cool, what is it?" Then the later years became what you are stating,,,

Funny how nobody bashes the Tom Murphy $10K posers. Or the fact that a re-issue is way more than a core PRS....

Last edited:
Any balanced person is glad to see another person reach a goal.

And that's what makes this place so great. It's pretty much full of people who are respectful and genuinely happy for others who share a common appreciation of music and musical instruments, regardless of brand.

I'm sure there are other places on the interwebs with a community as well collected as this, but in all honesty, I haven't searched for one because I haven't found the need to.

i was shopping guitars 20 years ago and some guy was raving about his $2300 ‘tom anderson drop top’, which i think is a strat imitator like the bentley series 10 i had in 10th grade and not even a real fender.

come on no one is ‘jealous’ of what other people buy, they just think playing a brand legitimizes their crap chops. i knew a kid in high school who liked to tell me (and everyone) how ‘most zeppelin’ was played on a telecaster, because he had found one he could afford and was going to buy — then that weekend he found an actual gibson les paul for as cheap (this was before guns ‘nd roses) and it was ‘the les paul is the most important guitar in rock’ for the next 6 months.

Last edited:

"And I wanna be just like Jimmy Page!"

Edit: And I hadn't read jxe's post above.

‘page was sloppy’ and ‘jimi was slow’ — but i still must play common guitars of the mid 1960s... because eric clapton does.

Sometimes we forget that:

1. Music isn’t a race or a contest. Ideas can be expressed perfectly well in lots of ways.

2. Tone is one of any number of tools tools deployed to express musical ideas, and copping other people’s tone is optional, not mandatory.

3. Everyone’s got their opinions, and very few opinions are sufficiently informed to be taken seriously.

4. ‘Do your own thing’ is still a worthy thought.

“Spare a talent for an old ex leper!”

And that's what makes this place so great. It's pretty much full of people who are respectful and genuinely happy for others who share a common appreciation of music and musical instruments, regardless of brand.

I'm sure there are other places on the interwebs with a community as well collected as this, but in all honesty, I haven't searched for one because I haven't found the need to.

This space reserved for a criticism/insult ;)

you need to repost this at TGP!

That’s the funniest part... The PRS instruments I own were not paid for by my primary job, which was law enforcement. They were bought from money made PLAYING LIVE MUSIC over several decades, continuing to this very year. In a very real way, one paid for the next, and so on. It’s just some jerk-off, 16-year-old’s internet mantra that gets passed on from uninformed idiot to uninformed idiot. It used to make me furious, but now it’s just so stupidly sad, it almost makes you feel sorry for them. Just almost, though.
Thank you for your service

Back