Do you think guitar solos & improvisation will return to mainstream music?

Will guitar improv ever make the mainstream again?

• Nah, shut up and listen to the lyrics & composition.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Someday the younger kids are gonna play as many notes as Al DiMeola.

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
true true, he hasn’t put out anything good since he had kids, but he’s the only rap producer since rick rubin to listen to rock music and i about shat myself when i heard the king crimson sample.

We need a “like first part” button. :confused:

:p

another ringo ramone!

5wq2f3d.jpg

This thread has deteriorated down to : To Shred Or Not?

But it really isn't, maybe my using Al D as the extreme example sparked off many a shred haters, too bad they didn't understand my sarcasm.:oops:

TBH I was just meaning a solo or improv *AT ALL*, take the mid-late 70's for example. While disco was raging, and pop like Andy Gibb was riding high, songs like the Eagles Hotel California and Heart's Barracuda were up there with all the top ten hits and Steely Dan's Aja album had not only guitar solos but everything else too, and was a top seller at the time (and since).

I didn't mean Yngwie, Vai & Satriani should start up a supergroup and trade solos all night in between playing speed shred triple harmony melodies..... ..... just a little musicianship in between all the cookie cutter mass produced poopoo they are brainwashing our children with.

............. and stop busting Tremontinator's chops, he was just expressing his views......
..... in his own special way.o_O

This thread has deteriorated down to : To Shred Or Not?

But it really isn't,
I didn't consider it "deterioration" as much as expanding to different levels. And when people started slamming shredders, well...

But, it's not my thread so I can stop talking about shredders. I love Steely Dan. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you're good, just express yourself and feel free.
It's just a viewpoint.......... just like Tremontinator's.;)
Well, I let that slide the first time, but I tried multiple times to be cool with him. Opinions are fine, but his were coming in rather heavy handed fashion. The only other thing I could do would be to leave or ignore everything he said. I mean, my long post was, I thought, a very kind and gentle response to what he posted. He went directly after stuff he knew I loved, and said it sucked. I dangled another olive branch. If you think my responses were out of line, I can edit. His response to even that was argumentative. I was resigned to simply not addressing anything else he said and letting nature take it's own course without any input from me. But it appears that he didn't like that people didn't like the posting style. IDK.

I don't come here or anywhere to fight and argue. And I'm not the forum police. If he wants to be here, he's welcome as far as I'm concerned. If he continues to post as aggressively as he has been, I don't imagine many others will be OK with it. But I don't want to be the problem. And I surely didn't antagonize him. I'm the one who sent him a PM about language after he dropped the F bomb more than once. Not a "stop it or else." It was a "you may want to change that."

Hey,... I'm just playing the devil's advocate here,:D sticking up for the underdog is my nature. Even though I put him in check, I still want him around. I can remember myself being a little polarized, polarizing, and outward about things when I first showed up.

He's not a fool, just a little wound tightly, maybe he'll chill a little and come back a newer, nicer, more compassionate, and more loving Tremontinator.

.... and live up to his namesake.

R0TODyM.gif

Last edited:
You guys had me bamboozled. Didn't realize it until I listened back to a clip from practice a few weeks back. As soon as I heard it I knew this thread had a direct influence on what I did. It's completely bat sh@t crazy and it's all because now I'm trying to be all "up-to-date" with the cool trends and make the masses happy. Well, that lasted for about 8 bars then I pulled out my guitar middle finger and made a song-starting, long-a$$ed, totally in your face (to the establishment) solo that probably would have never happened. Probably was due to being a little low-blood sugared, so I named it Hangry...

Imaging, if you will...guitar held with headstock up to my face, face contortions matching the wah work and even shaking the headstock at the drummer at 1:07. Should have video running at these things to make it completely embarrassing.

Thanks alot you guys.o_O

yeah!

You guys had me bamboozled. Didn't realize it until I listened back to a clip from practice a few weeks back. As soon as I heard it I knew this thread had a direct influence on what I did. It's completely bat sh@t crazy and it's all because now I'm trying to be all "up-to-date" with the cool trends and make the masses happy. Well, that lasted for about 8 bars then I pulled out my guitar middle finger and made a song-starting, long-a$$ed, totally in your face (to the establishment) solo that probably would have never happened. Probably was due to being a little low-blood sugared, so I named it Hangry...

Imaging, if you will...guitar held with headstock up to my face, face contortions matching the wah work and even shaking the headstock at the drummer at 1:07. Should have video running at these things to make it completely embarrassing.

Thanks alot you guys.o_O

Back