Do you think guitar solos & improvisation will return to mainstream music?

Will guitar improv ever make the mainstream again?

• Nah, shut up and listen to the lyrics & composition.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Someday the younger kids are gonna play as many notes as Al DiMeola.

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
I do "hate" what is "bad." Perhaps this is widely subjective,

OK, most important point.

We can enjoy life if we adjust our attitudes so that we slow down and speak (play) without shouting at people. Fast-paced guitarists only causes me to reject what I've heard (I've not been able to digest any of what's been played) because there's no pausing, or space between the notes.

I think you're simply expecting the world to adjust to your rate of sonic digestion. I accept the fact that other people in the world process things differently and at a different pace, leading to so many various (and appreciable:rolleyes:) styles of playing the guitar. I don't own any Yngwie records but I can appreciate his virtuosity.

Shredders take note: Your music needs to breathe before *I* can call it listenable music.

Fixed it for ya;)

Yeah, but consider that drowning out the noise by turning up the radio is gonna cost you more in repairs later than fixing the ping while it's still just a ping. This is practical wisdom here, and increasing the radio volume won't solve the problem.

Well, obviously you don't do that forever - only until trade-in time.

There is no "good" music.

There is no "bad" music.

There are exactly two kinds of music. Music you like. Music you don't like. And the two groups aren't carved in stone - sure, there are some things that fall into either category, never to move to the other, but the rest is fluid and can flow back and forth over time. And you can never be wrong about what fits into the two categories.* You can never be wrong about liking what you like or not liking what you don't.

(* - Except someone here is wrong about Kiss. No names, please.)

I already said my piece, and you choos to ignore it.

I'm not going to repeat myself

You think that long post was ignoring what you said? I thought it was kinda telling you a lot about me that you don't know, and addressing why we see things so differently. Guess that was missed.

There is no "good" music.

There is no "bad" music.

There are exactly two kinds of music. Music you like. Music you don't like.

HgzmpuC.gif

HUGGY

This is another topic entirely but, I absolutely despise Jimi Hendrix and I'm completely sick to death if people riding his D even he was a terrible player at best.

Yeah, some debut albums came in the latter part of the 60s but, the whole scene really changed in the 70s.
I'll call it a grey area.

I like Joe Satriani. Most of his music has melody. A concept that is completely lost on shredders.
Steve Vai is a poor man's Joe Satriani, and a poor imitation.

Cobain and all that dumbing down of the music is a symptom. Acrobatic playing is there cause.

It's the same thing as having a runny nose is the symptom. Having a cold is the cause.

Candy brought up a good point. If it ain't a simple 4/4, nobody wants to hear it. Music is supposed to make people dance, tap their toes, and headbang.

Great points, Candy

DTR
Shred sucks. Deal with it. :-* :-*
So does Dream Theater, now that you mention it. They're part of the problem. Oh, and Petrucci especially sucks. Not just antagonizing. That's actually a scientifically-proven fact.

This is good. We're having a discussion.

I think almost everything that has moved the guitar forward, has been some sort of blues thing.

[I've been arguing with myself about EVH and tapping. I'm going to say that definitely isn't a blues thing. There's no feel to it. It's just more flashy B.S. that says 'look at me!']

I'm going to say that the next thing which will come along, advance the guitar, and help repopularize our music, is going to be something with a heavy blues influence.

Maybe, it won't be anything new at all. Could be a fresh take on old ideas.

Maybe somebody will come along and combine Johnny Winter and Bo Diddley

Maybe somebody will take George Thorogood, and play it in a key that isn't G

I would like to hear Randy Rhoads combined with blues legends. Some might say that would be Zakk Wylde. I say it hasn't been tried yet

DTR

I'm sorry bro. I'm not trying to insult or antagonize you. What I said above sounds exactly like that. My bad, bro.

I'm just saying Dream Theater is just one more damn neo-classical act that puts complexity over listenability. Complexity over melody.

And John Petrucci it's just one more shred clown who puts more notes in a solo instead of more feel and melody. Technique over soul.

I hear guys like Petrucci, and I hear "LOOK! AT! ME! I AM SO GREAT! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!"

I'm not impressed. I'm disgusted.

Look, I'll say it like this

Self-serving, ego, pride, arrogance, self-importance, and self-righteousness are the worst traits in people.

Shred, djent, numetal, and neo-classical bands are the personification of those traits.

The perfect reply to these would be to quote your own reply in another thread. Lets see, there was something that started with an "F" in it, and it ended with "STOOPED". Which, to be honest, I thought was a veiled reference to a porch, or front steps. The more appropriate spelling would be the Alice Cooper version; STOOPID

Last edited:
I might’ve said yes at one point just based on cycles. It’s hard for me to imagine now. Viewing an almost 4 year old thread and I feel like in those 4 years. The same crap is being spewed out. Yeah. There’s a bunch of talent recognized in small sects, but it’s hard to imagine seeing extended solos come back. I’m not even a “solo guy”, but I want a song structure that’s interesting and keeps me wanting to listen. I love a good hook that pulls you in but the continual cookie cutter crap that’s pushed out hasn’t changed much in 1/2 a decade. There can be hook and interesting(even extended solo or instrumental work)in the same package, it just doesn’t happen much anymore because people(masses) don’t have desire for it and want their next quick fix. We have an opioid epidemic going on in more ways than the literal term here. Get your next quick fix even if it ain’t great. Andy was on the money on the first page 3 1/2 years and unfortunately it still holds true.

FYI- categorize this in the slightly buzzed posting. Whatever we’re calling it.:D Also, since I should be asleep, I only read some of the first and last pages of the thread. Will dive deeper later.

Improv and guitar solos have always been around in one way or another in mainstream music, I wouldn't say they're entirely snuffed out. Maybe not good improv or good solos (cough cough- Greta Van Yeetn't, or whatever is dragged out into one of those more obnoxious radio stations), but there's still something in some way for better or for worse.

All I can say right now from a listening perspective, not necessarily for mainstream music, is that there's some resurgence in the more technical stuff, at least for metal- be it riffage or, as one of the voting options says, having as many notes as Al Dimeola did. For a long time, we had a lot of knuckle dragging and eschewing of those technical aspects of guitar playing. They were frowned upon for a long time when I was growing up.

...I think you're simply expecting the world to adjust to your rate of sonic digestion. I accept the fact that other people in the world process things differently and at a different pace, leading to so many various (and appreciable:rolleyes:) styles of playing the guitar. I don't own any Yngwie records but I can appreciate his virtuosity...

No, that would be expecting the world to be obedient to rules. My feeling is that the world presents itself in a manner that has neither rhyme nor reason as its premise, with a lack of discipline and structure that is needed for a healthy interchange of encouragement.

To illustrate, have you ever listened to a young teen speak in public? Have you ever needed to ask a teen to slow down when speaking, simply because he or she sounds like a high pressure used car salesman trying to sell you something?

It is understood that we all process information at varying rates, but it certainly doesn't help when older folks who can't process quickly are left behind or out of the picture. Perhaps as we age we tend to slow down in speech so that we can be understood by all generations, while kids exclude older folks from their conversations because the kids are yapping a mile a minute and loudly at that.

I'll relish the day the kids grow up and realize why older folks speak more slowly. While I can usually hear most of what younger people say, it takes that much longer for me to digest what they've said, because they've compressed so much info into a small timeframe. (Like a .zip or .dmg file that needs decompressing.) Perhaps that is what older folks do, they take in knowledge by viewing or listening, and need to absorb and meditate on what's previously been said, so they can understand the gist of the discussion.

Virtuosity aside, shredders are still "saying" a lot of notes that lack the same feel, groove and soul that a slower play might say. This only causes me to reject speed-demon shredders. It's comparable to telling me my next flight is to Gulag. Pack bag and get on board now. No thanks. I'll stay home and enjoy my time eating a chicken salad for lunch Wednesday.

No, that would be expecting the world to be obedient to rules. My feeling is that the world presents itself in a manner that has neither rhyme nor reason as its premise, with a lack of discipline and structure that is needed for a healthy interchange of encouragement.

To illustrate, have you ever listened to a young teen speak in public? Have you ever needed to ask a teen to slow down when speaking, simply because he or she sounds like a high pressure used car salesman trying to sell you something?

It is understood that we all process information at varying rates, but it certainly doesn't help when older folks who can't process quickly are left behind or out of the picture. Perhaps as we age we tend to slow down in speech so that we can be understood by all generations, while kids exclude older folks from their conversations because the kids are yapping a mile a minute and loudly at that.

I'll relish the day the kids grow up and realize why older folks speak more slowly. While I can usually hear most of what younger people say, it takes that much longer for me to digest what they've said, because they've compressed so much info into a small timeframe. (Like a .zip or .dmg file that needs decompressing.) Perhaps that is what older folks do, they take in knowledge by viewing or listening, and need to absorb and meditate on what's previously been said, so they can understand the gist of the discussion.

Virtuosity aside, shredders are still "saying" a lot of notes that lack the same feel, groove and soul that a slower play might say. This only causes me to reject speed-demon shredders. It's comparable to telling me my next flight is to Gulag. Pack bag and get on board now. No thanks. I'll stay home and enjoy my time eating a chicken salad for lunch Wednesday.

All that just to say "I can't keep up with kids these days" and that you make bad lunch decisions?:rolleyes:

K1oZdnw.jpg

OK Grandpa, we'll break out the slowhand records for ya and have a couple of cans of Ensure handy if you get thirsty or lightheaded........

..... and c'mon man, live a little, go get a cheesesteak or something!!:p

i for one appreciate a firehose of words, more into candid than mozzi right now but i’m not 18 anymore and the pendulum does swing.

Back