Do you think guitar solos & improvisation will return to mainstream music?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Huggy B, Oct 24, 2015.

?

Will guitar improv ever make the mainstream again?

1. Nah, shut up and listen to the lyrics & composition.

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Someday the younger kids are gonna play as many notes as Al DiMeola.

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Huggy B

Huggy B Hmm... kinda tangy.

OK, most important point.

I think you're simply expecting the world to adjust to your rate of sonic digestion. I accept the fact that other people in the world process things differently and at a different pace, leading to so many various (and appreciable:rolleyes:) styles of playing the guitar. I don't own any Yngwie records but I can appreciate his virtuosity.

Fixed it for ya;)

Black Plaid likes this.
  2. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Well, obviously you don't do that forever - only until trade-in time.

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  3. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

There is no "good" music.

There is no "bad" music.

There are exactly two kinds of music. Music you like. Music you don't like. And the two groups aren't carved in stone - sure, there are some things that fall into either category, never to move to the other, but the rest is fluid and can flow back and forth over time. And you can never be wrong about what fits into the two categories.* You can never be wrong about liking what you like or not liking what you don't.

(* - Except someone here is wrong about Kiss. No names, please.)

4. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules New and improved member

You think that long post was ignoring what you said? I thought it was kinda telling you a lot about me that you don't know, and addressing why we see things so differently. Guess that was missed.

5. Huggy B

[​IMG]

bodia and alantig like this.
  6. Huggy B

Ahh... don't mind him, he doesn't want to play anymore.

[​IMG]

alantig and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  7. DreamTheaterRules

I'm trying to be cool. Guess I'm not having much luck at the moment.

I guess instead of putting the abridged life story out there, I could have just said...

DREAMTHEATERRULES!

Black Plaid, Huggy B and bodia like this.
  8. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

The perfect reply to these would be to quote your own reply in another thread. Lets see, there was something that started with an "F" in it, and it ended with "STOOPED". Which, to be honest, I thought was a veiled reference to a porch, or front steps. The more appropriate spelling would be the Alice Cooper version; STOOPID

#108 bodia, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Mozzi and Griz like this.
  9. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

next wave blues guitar will be songs about continents, like ‘africa’ and ‘land down under’.

Black Plaid and bodia like this.
  10. DreamTheaterRules

We already have those two songs. :p

11. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

but we need post-cobain ones because cobain changed just everything just so much i am tired of arguing about it bro. no offens

Black Plaid likes this.
  12. DreamTheaterRules

Arguing??? I didn’t even know we were disagreeing. o_Oo_O

13. Parralax view

Parralax view New Member

If Adam Levine and Nick Jonas are the bar.. I would say never again.

14. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

I might’ve said yes at one point just based on cycles. It’s hard for me to imagine now. Viewing an almost 4 year old thread and I feel like in those 4 years. The same crap is being spewed out. Yeah. There’s a bunch of talent recognized in small sects, but it’s hard to imagine seeing extended solos come back. I’m not even a “solo guy”, but I want a song structure that’s interesting and keeps me wanting to listen. I love a good hook that pulls you in but the continual cookie cutter crap that’s pushed out hasn’t changed much in 1/2 a decade. There can be hook and interesting(even extended solo or instrumental work)in the same package, it just doesn’t happen much anymore because people(masses) don’t have desire for it and want their next quick fix. We have an opioid epidemic going on in more ways than the literal term here. Get your next quick fix even if it ain’t great. Andy was on the money on the first page 3 1/2 years and unfortunately it still holds true.

FYI- categorize this in the slightly buzzed posting. Whatever we’re calling it.:D Also, since I should be asleep, I only read some of the first and last pages of the thread. Will dive deeper later.

bodia likes this.
  15. Improv and guitar solos have always been around in one way or another in mainstream music, I wouldn't say they're entirely snuffed out. Maybe not good improv or good solos (cough cough- Greta Van Yeetn't, or whatever is dragged out into one of those more obnoxious radio stations), but there's still something in some way for better or for worse.

All I can say right now from a listening perspective, not necessarily for mainstream music, is that there's some resurgence in the more technical stuff, at least for metal- be it riffage or, as one of the voting options says, having as many notes as Al Dimeola did. For a long time, we had a lot of knuckle dragging and eschewing of those technical aspects of guitar playing. They were frowned upon for a long time when I was growing up.

16. Huggy B

[​IMG]

bodia likes this.
  17. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

No, that would be expecting the world to be obedient to rules. My feeling is that the world presents itself in a manner that has neither rhyme nor reason as its premise, with a lack of discipline and structure that is needed for a healthy interchange of encouragement.

To illustrate, have you ever listened to a young teen speak in public? Have you ever needed to ask a teen to slow down when speaking, simply because he or she sounds like a high pressure used car salesman trying to sell you something?

It is understood that we all process information at varying rates, but it certainly doesn't help when older folks who can't process quickly are left behind or out of the picture. Perhaps as we age we tend to slow down in speech so that we can be understood by all generations, while kids exclude older folks from their conversations because the kids are yapping a mile a minute and loudly at that.

I'll relish the day the kids grow up and realize why older folks speak more slowly. While I can usually hear most of what younger people say, it takes that much longer for me to digest what they've said, because they've compressed so much info into a small timeframe. (Like a .zip or .dmg file that needs decompressing.) Perhaps that is what older folks do, they take in knowledge by viewing or listening, and need to absorb and meditate on what's previously been said, so they can understand the gist of the discussion.

Virtuosity aside, shredders are still "saying" a lot of notes that lack the same feel, groove and soul that a slower play might say. This only causes me to reject speed-demon shredders. It's comparable to telling me my next flight is to Gulag. Pack bag and get on board now. No thanks. I'll stay home and enjoy my time eating a chicken salad for lunch Wednesday.

18. Audie

Audie New Member

"Do you think guitar solos & improvisation will return to mainstream music?"

NO! I do hope that I am wrong.

Huggy B likes this.
  19. Huggy B

All that just to say "I can't keep up with kids these days" and that you make bad lunch decisions?:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

OK Grandpa, we'll break out the slowhand records for ya and have a couple of cans of Ensure handy if you get thirsty or lightheaded........

..... and c'mon man, live a little, go get a cheesesteak or something!!:p

alantig and Boogie like this.
  20. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

i for one appreciate a firehose of words, more into candid than mozzi right now but i’m not 18 anymore and the pendulum does swing.