Do you think guitar solos & improvisation will return to mainstream music?

Will guitar improv ever make the mainstream again?

• Nah, shut up and listen to the lyrics & composition.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Someday the younger kids are gonna play as many notes as Al DiMeola.

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters

Huggy Love

Vintage member
After finishing up my R&B projects and really vacillating over whether I want to go back to Jazz & Fusion, I decided to go back to my roots and write some rock songs. Fact is, I exited the rock game after the 90's, when musicianship took a back seat to singer/songwriter stuff, punk and alternative, so I've had a really hard time keeping shred, solos & improv out of my head while composing. I think because I was the lead guitarist in every band I was in, and related to EVH & Santana so much more than rhythm players or acts that only play prearranged riffs like 99% of what I hear on the airwaves.

To write an inspired piece you have to be emotionally involved, and even though in the 80's I went thru a new-wave/punk phase, music with too much automation or lack of musical skills just depresses me. It's not like when I was a kid and the new music was too wild for our parents, the new rock is boring to me, it's like a tame toothless beast that forgot how to bite. I'd like to compose something viable in todays market but when I record something without some guitar improv it just sounds empty to me, like it's missing something. Hard to get my head wrapped around it.

I can easily see how the cheesy looking shred monsters of the 90's could turn off the majority of listeners that didn't want to see Michael Angelo shred/tapping on 2 necks at the same time, or Yngwie in a Buffalo Bill coat and tight leather pants playing classical scales, but is that it? Will it ever come back to actually making the guitar talk?

If the March Of The DroneBots continues like it has been, my answer is no. They have the attention span of a gnat with fleas and can't be bothered for more than 3 seconds at a time to listen to something.

Things go in cycles. So yes, extended guitar solos will return at some point.

Please wake me up when piano solos make a comeback, so I can play on the record.

Or or accordion solos....

....and don't forget the keytar.

*Little Richard practically invented Rock & Roll so keyboard improv should be still in there too.

There's a minority that still digs musicianship, but the "instant gratification" attitude of my generation has destroyed mainstream radio (and other mediums). Radio and media in general wring every possible drop out of the most popular songs (and tv shows, movies, etc.). We want the next Taylor Swift song right now, and we want to hear it every 20 minutes for the next month, until we're so fat and gorged on the hook that we can't stand another chorus. And then we want the next Taylor Swift song, and it had better be the same kind of glazed donut sugary sweetness as the last one, because the masses don't want to evaluate the complexity of a well crafted song that has more texture than just a catchy hook, they just want to stuff donuts in their face all day. The same with movies and TV, did we really need Pirates of the Carribean 2, 3, 4, Transformers 2, 3, 4, or 11 different cities worth of CSI? Hell no, but there was another dollar to be made by the studios and networks, and they could give two $h!ts about creativity, they want a guaranteed money maker.

HOWEVER

On the bright side, if you're into musicianship, it's not all bad. I actually think there's more good music being made now than ever before, because artists can easily create, record, and distribute their material without a money hungry record label. It's not that difficult to find what you want with services like iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc., that can suggest new music for you based on what YOU like, not what *most* people like. They're going to make more money by finding each individual the music they want, not just pushing the same Taylor Swift song on everyone (of course, they'll still make a mint off the TS song, but whatever).

Disclaimer, I don't hate Taylor Swift, she's just an easy example because you can't not hear her music if you go out in public. Just think of all the Private Stock builds she's going to order with the millions of dollars she makes off those songs.

There's a minority that still digs musicianship, but the "instant gratification" attitude of my generation has destroyed mainstream radio (and other mediums). Radio and media in general wring every possible drop out of the most popular songs (and tv shows, movies, etc.). We want the next Taylor Swift song right now, and we want to hear it every 20 minutes for the next month, until we're so fat and gorged on the hook that we can't stand another chorus. And then we want the next Taylor Swift song, and it had better be the same kind of glazed donut sugary sweetness as the last one, because the masses don't want to evaluate the complexity of a well crafted song that has more texture than just a catchy hook, they just want to stuff donuts in their face all day. The same with movies and TV, did we really need Pirates of the Carribean 2, 3, 4, Transformers 2, 3, 4, or 11 different cities worth of CSI? Hell no, but there was another dollar to be made by the studios and networks, and they could give two $h!ts about creativity, they want a guaranteed money maker.

HOWEVER

On the bright side, if you're into musicianship, it's not all bad. I actually think there's more good music being made now than ever before, because artists can easily create, record, and distribute their material without a money hungry record label. It's not that difficult to find what you want with services like iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc., that can suggest new music for you based on what YOU like, not what *most* people like. They're going to make more money by finding each individual the music they want, not just pushing the same Taylor Swift song on everyone (of course, they'll still make a mint off the TS song, but whatever).

Disclaimer, I don't hate Taylor Swift, she's just an easy example because you can't not hear her music if you go out in public. Just think of all the Private Stock builds she's going to order with the millions of dollars she makes off those songs.

Real good insight from a younger player, I agree with just about everything you said. Yes, there is a ton of great musicians out there, all you have to do is go on Abstractlogix and hear guitarists that make me feel like a beginner, it's just sad that they're all basically unknowns and not a lot of people seek out this art.

PS-Dead on!! On your views on TV & film.

love this take... I read in Guitar player that the guitarist for Marroon 5 had zero solos on the new record. I also saw Hozier this week and he was good. hook city. Not one solo the whole night.
I have a friend teaching me recording and he is demanding that I just lay down the structure and not much melody changes and chord substitutions. etc...

So looks like the listeners out there just want what their friends want. While chewing gum and holding their phones, they mouth the words. Solo's are for jam bands or metal. Even country is getting rid of it.
Oh well.

I'm not really sure how to express my thoughts on this. I was one of those Varney worshippers back in the day (that would be the 80s).The more shred the better. Yngwie, Michael Lee Firkins, Vinnie Moore, Tony MacAlpine, Satch, Vai, et al. I loved it all. Mellencamp, Fogerty, Don Henley sucked a$$ as far as I was concerned. Today, my prerogatives have changed. Then it was "if it ain't Maiden, it sucks." Today, I really want to hear a well constructed song. It could be shred, metal, country, classic rock, current pop, jazz, etc. Doesn't matter the genre, a good song is a good song. My tastes have matured, and I've learned to appreciate a well crafted piece of music regardless of the style. Doesn't mean I'll buy it, but it does mean I'll respect it.

I don't know how to answer this. Do I think that we'll have Steve Vai/Yngwie Malmsteen level shred on the main stream radio again? No. Is there always a group of kids in every generation that truly enjoy guitar based music and they for like solos of some sort? Yeah. The "guitar based" music is so fractured with scene kids and all these "core" genres that there is way to many styles for people to get behind. If there was one or two types of metal that everyone listen to then there would be bigger push for these genres on the radio.

Although whether over the air broadcast radio will be a thing in 10 or 15 years is another question altogether.

I'm not really sure how to express my thoughts on this. I was one of those Varney worshippers back in the day (that would be the 80s).The more shred the better. Yngwie, Michael Lee Firkins, Vinnie Moore, Tony MacAlpine, Satch, Vai, et al. I loved it all. Mellencamp, Fogerty, Don Henley sucked a$$ as far as I was concerned. Today, my prerogatives have changed. Then it was "if it ain't Maiden, it sucks." Today, I really want to hear a well constructed song. It could be shred, metal, country, classic rock, current pop, jazz, etc. Doesn't matter the genre, a good song is a good song. My tastes have matured, and I've learned to appreciate a well crafted piece of music regardless of the style. Doesn't mean I'll buy it, but it does mean I'll respect it.

Although I never developed a distain for John Cougar or Fogerty, and even then I appreciated their craft & success, I was just not inspired like I was by strong instrumentalists like Satch & MacAlpine. Maybe due to the fact I was touched by Jazz & Fusion at an early age it's probably in my musical DNA, especially from a songwriting standpoint. I have always liked a few songs that hit the airwaves from time to time that did not have improv in them, maybe I'll have to draw on that to write and arrange that way.

Will the big bands make a comeback? Will the horse and buggy replace the automobile? Will the oven replace the microwave?

And yet we still have trombones and buggies and ovens. There will always be a place for the guitar, but as the main instrument in popular music, "stick a fork in it", it's done.

I was giving a guitar lesson last week and the kid and his mother wanted a new song to practice. "Sure, what song would you like?", I asked. "Wildest Dreams" - Taylor Swift. So I looked it up on YouTube. 145 million views. It was two chords, the fundamental and the relative minor. That's it. All the way through. There was little structure to the music, and no guitar. Just a framework to play a video over. I happened to glance at another Taylor Swift song in the list of available songs on the screen. It had 1 billion 2 hundred and 22 million views. How does a good blues tune with 20 thousand views maybe, compete with that? I have nothing against Taylor Swift. If that is what the people want, so be it. But it doesn't bode well for the guitar. Computer generated music will be the mainstream until something new runs it over.

Maybe. I guess it all depends on the will of the artist. It wouldn't be odd to have a resurgence in guitar solos in our culture, in Japan (at the moment) a guitar solo is as culturally expected as a chorus-outro here.. I think musicians can't help but to give in to the desire to explore/wail/wank eventually, it falls on them.

Not that I'm a great example or anything, but I felt the need to let loose on guitar solos for the music I make for myself. I'll post a sample of an improvised one-take guitar solo for a few days here: https://soundcloud.com/sergiodeblanc/snfsolo Just in case I don't die before I sell enough of my last records to get the budget to release this one.

I just got to the point where I don't give a F**k anymore. I'll do what I want, and if that means a three minute guitar solo in an extended disco remix I'm all for it. Maybe other musicians will eventually feel the same way.
(mixed on some 5-below headphones. don't judge me)

Last edited:
Who knows? It might, but not likely in the near future.
Commercial music is made for the young, not the old.
I'm only 45 and feel totally out of touch, which is ok ... don't want to be in touch with the crap that passes for music now.

As long as all the 20, 30 somethings believe that fc@kin' dreck like Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, bro' country and far to many more to name is music, there ain't no hope.

But it's the natural cycle of life ... out with the old, in with the new. To expect the average 25 year old to know anything about music and guitar is pretty unrealistic.

Last edited:
Although I never developed a distain for John Cougar or Fogerty, and even then I appreciated their craft & success, I was just not inspired like I was by strong instrumentalists like Satch & MacAlpine. Maybe due to the fact I was touched by Jazz & Fusion at an early age it's probably in my musical DNA, especially from a songwriting standpoint. I have always liked a few songs that hit the airwaves from time to time that did not have improv in them, maybe I'll have to draw on that to write and arrange that way.

Re: Jazz & Fusion - One has to wonder why great artists like Larry Carlton, Pat Metheny & Robben Ford spend what seems like most of their time touring outside the US.........My take is something along the lines of "instant gratification" here in the US - IMHO

Maybe. I guess it all depends on the will of the artist. It wouldn't be odd to have a resurgence in guitar solos in our culture, in Japan (at the moment) a guitar solo is as culturally expected as a chorus-outro here.. I think musicians can't help but to give in to the desire to explore/wail/wank eventually, it falls on them.

Not that I'm a great example or anything, but I felt the need to let loose on guitar solos for the music I make for myself. I'll post a sample of an improvised one-take guitar solo for a few days here: https://soundcloud.com/sergiodeblanc/snfsolo Just in case I don't die before I sell enough of my last records to get the budget to release this one.

I just got to the point where I don't give a F**k anymore. I'll do what I want, and if that means a three minute guitar solo in an extended disco remix I'm all for it. Maybe other musicians will eventually feel the same way.
(mixed on some 5-below headphones. don't judge me)

:top:

For the sounds and the sentiment.

As long as it's a good song, great.
Too many forced players these days on YouTube - great technique but no soul.

I'm releasing an album in the next 6 months, hopefully....
It's my own style... though in the vein of Satch etc... with some technical stuff but a focus on melody.... and lots of guitar harmonies.

This is a serious endeavour - let me know what you think.

This has involved a loooooot of effort. I'm doing guitars, bass, drums, mixing & mastering, website, promotion, YouTube videos, the lot. All me.
Problem is people want stuff for free these days. Or they'll start threads like this saying they miss the good old stuff then not click on links and comment or pay for it.
Well, at least I can say I've done it at least the once before I die.

https://soundcloud.com/tommysixstring/sets/album-trailers

Last edited:
Back