Do you return to stock when selling?

mezzio

The Force is weak in ^^
I'm thinking of selling a couple guitars to not get such an arse reaming when I tell the woman I just bought a acoustic (well, kinda, I paid for it, but I'm waiting for them to get another model in so I can play them side by side, then decide where the moneys going, but paid for the one they had in stock to hold it), and have a PS build about to start.

Problem is the guitars I'm thinking of selling, I've modified, so they're essentially stop tails with a block (slam the plate to the body, block them off, it's no longer a trem). While I haven't changed any parts out, whoever buys it might not like the idea that the trem is screwed down.

So those of you who have sold guitars you've modified to make things not work that should, do you return them to stock so they do work, or just let it be known that it's non functional?

If I sell one to somebody I know well then I will offer to set it up the way they want otherwise no.

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep it as is, the only parts changed on them are knobs and nuts, so no stock parts to really give with them. I'll offer to set it back up to stock if a friend buys it, lol, otherwise they can deal with a blocked them.

If it's an inexperienced player I'd also let them know what you did and how they can reverse it if they want to, otherwise they may not get why the trem doesn't work.

I'd offer it as term blocked or working, buyer's choice no matter who bought it.

There are LOTS of used guitars out there for sale, why scare anyone away?

It is irritating to get a guitar that has been modded and the guy doesn't tell you everything, so first is you should report all changes. You have suggested that you are going to, so I'm not calling you out, I'm just saying it to establish the fact. The knobs and nut should also be declared just so they know.

Next the trem. I'd have no problem buying it with the vibrato bra, but I'd want that baby set free. As long as the changes are completely reversible I'd stay interested. When folks change the pups, I really would like the option to buy it with the originals included or to have the originals put back in (adjusting the price as needed), so I'm a fan of keeping the pups if you change them.

A blocked off trem is so easy to restore back to stock that's a no-brainer, knobs too, but the nut & other structural stuff is OK to leave as is. IMHO

Something like a blocked trem I probably would. Like Bill said, the less "hassle" there is for the seller, the easier the sell. I usually try to throw a new set of strings on and do a set up as well if time permits.

I've started the practice of returning the guitar to stock before selling because I now know that I'll never get one extra dime for anything I've added to the guitar myself. So, pickups for instance, I'll reinstall the original pickups and sell it like nothing ever happened. Another word to the wise, never sell a guitar to a pawn shop, but if you do, don't include the hard shell case because you won't get a dime extra for that either.

I'm thinking of selling a couple guitars to not get such an arse reaming when I tell the woman I just bought a acoustic (well, kinda, I paid for it, but I'm waiting for them to get another model in so I can play them side by side, then decide where the moneys going, but paid for the one they had in stock to hold it), and have a PS build about to start.

Problem is the guitars I'm thinking of selling, I've modified, so they're essentially stop tails with a block (slam the plate to the body, block them off, it's no longer a trem). While I haven't changed any parts out, whoever buys it might not like the idea that the trem is screwed down.

So those of you who have sold guitars you've modified to make things not work that should, do you return them to stock so they do work, or just let it be known that it's non functional?

I wanted a guitar with each set of pups, so I removed the 09's and 08's from two standards and 10's from a Cu24, didn't have enough time to remove the gold 10's from the McRosie. All sold last year.

Back