Do you recommend Satin finish 594's for a smoother feel?

tip

I wish I was near a store to test. Although there is one, Wild West, 2 hours and traffic away.

Please recommend the back of the neck finish for me. I don't like the V12 finish sold a great CU 22 because of it. Finger prints and oils accumulate on that black finish. I still have a SC245 with clear V12 and I put up with it.
Funny my $500 Meyer's has nice smooth satin factory finished neck.

I haven't tried a current satin body & neck. They seem to be less popular than most gloss PRS models but maybe they are smoother? I might get a rosewood neck just for this but I like the mahogany tone properties.

Do the rosewood neck 594's sound brighter or less warm / sustain?

Wild Wild West has a river blue 594 that I want to make sweet music love with.

Please go check it out and buy it. Then grow tired of it and sell it to me in about 3 years.

Also you might direct this question to the "electric instruments" page for better chance at answers. I would answer but I haven't had experience with satin finish or rosewood necks.

It's really not that important to me. I love the feel of my satin maple neck, but I love how fast my super glossy neck is on my Parker Fly Deluxe. They couldn't be more different.

I have to stress, "...to me", since I'm just a hobbyist. Maybe ask guys who play a lot more than I do.

I LOVE the satin-finish neck on my ZM. Feels incredible, for sure.

I'd like to have that same feeling neck on my SC594, but I don't have the stones to alter it, for fear that I'll lose my soul to satan, and be forever damned to pentatonic scales.

I had a Cu22 refinished at the PTC last year. They did the neck in black satin. LOVE IT!

What
I had a Cu22 refinished at the PTC last year. They did the neck in black satin. LOVE IT!

is the price for this refinish? I wish I knew about this before i sold my CU 22 for a $750 loss. I might go to WW and see their satin and rosewood stash.

I am now thinking that quilted maple is better than the striped flame cosmetically? But that preference changes a lot with all the great guitars coming out of MA.

IS a rosewood neck less sustain or warmth of mahogany? I like warm tone, half time with split coils

What

is the price for this refinish? I wish I knew about this before i sold my CU 22 for a $750 loss. I might go to WW and see their satin and rosewood stash.

I am now thinking that quilted maple is better than the striped flame cosmetically? But that preference changes a lot with all the great guitars coming out of MA.

IS a rosewood neck less sustain or warmth of mahogany? I like warm tone, half time with split coils

You be better off sending a note to the PTC for pricing. There's a link to that on the PTC page of the PRS website. I had a whole lot of work done to that, and it was pricey, but worth it (to me anyway). Not sure if they would just do the neck.

As for rosewood, I agree with Veinbuster.

There are several satin finished 594s out on Reverb. Maybe buy one from a shop with a good return policy so you're out minimal cash if it doesn't suit you?

I'm liking the V12 just fine on my 594. I have found that black shows every single mark, so maybe that's why you noticed fingerprints, etc. more?

So tell me about this satin process? I have a Satin S2, ZM, and a Rosewood McCarty....I have not bought a few other great guitars because I of the gloss neck. What did they actually do? Would you consider it on a brand new guitar....IE...buy it and send ot to PTC to get the Satin Treatment on the neck?

What

No, I don't think so. Rosewood neck has an immediate attack on the note, vs mahogany's soft bloom. The rosewood tone is brilliant highs and deep clear lows. Rosewood has more sustain because it's so hard. Mahogany is a little wooly and very familiar. Rosewood sounds hi-fi, and takes a bit of getting used to.

=K

So tell me about this satin process? I have a Satin S2, ZM, and a Rosewood McCarty....I have not bought a few other great guitars because I of the gloss neck. What did they actually do? Would you consider it on a brand new guitar....IE...buy it and send ot to PTC to get the Satin Treatment on the neck?

A little back story: I sent this Cu22 in for a complete refinish because I had taken a couple of wood deep chips out near the bridge posts. And, I hated the original color. I asked if they could leave the neck bare, because I don't like the feel of the finished necks. They wouldn't do that, but said they could do a satin finish on it. I said sure, expecting that it would be the same color as the body (Purple Hazel). Instead, it came back in a satin black finish, just like the SE Holcomb. I really dig it. Feels great! I would say it is as close to bare wood as you can get. Very "slick". I've put some time in on it and haven't experienced any tackiness. A couple of other guys have played it and commented on how smooth it feels. It's very similar to the feel of the satin finish maple neck on my Cu24. Much more to my liking than a finished (painted/gloss) neck.

As for sending a new guitar in for just the satin on the neck; I'd ask for a quote, and go from there. Not sure that I would drop the coin right off the bat. I can live with the gloss finish, I just much prefer bare/satin.

I know there are some "home remedies" that guys have tried on their gloss necks in order to replicate that bare wood feel. I might try it on a beater, but I haven't been brave enough to try it on any of my PRSes.

Someone said a rosewood neck has more of a "grand piano" sound. Sort of a different way of saying "Hi Fi," I think. I like that description. And I like to play them. May not have the requisite degree of "fatness" many want in a "classic style" guitar.

I wish I was near a store to test. Although there is one, Wild West, 2 hours and traffic away.

Please recommend the back of the neck finish for me. I don't like the V12 finish sold a great CU 22 because of it. Finger prints and oils accumulate on that black finish. I still have a SC245 with clear V12 and I put up with it.
Funny my $500 Meyer's has nice smooth satin factory finished neck.

I haven't tried a current satin body & neck. They seem to be less popular than most gloss PRS models but maybe they are smoother? I might get a rosewood neck just for this but I like the mahogany tone properties.

Do the rosewood neck 594's sound brighter or less warm / sustain?

I bought a satin finish Custom 24 last year and I love the neck it's so smooth and great to play. The body is gorgeous but doesn't "pop" as much as a v12 finish might. Also with such a thin finish it's prone to damage easier. I have a mysterious ding on mine and I've never banged it or hit it wth anything so careful with that. Otherwise it's amazing

Back