NGD, but you’ll have to wait a bit for pics. Question about nitro.

Matte82

So I bought another 594. This is my 4th one. I unfortunately had to sell the first one. But then bought two artist pack single cuts. One with soapbars and a rosewood neck. Well the one with HB’s didn’t have a rosewood neck. And it sounded killer. But I missed the rosewood neck. Well I found an WL dc 594 with a rosewood neck. It also has a satin finish. Same as my first WL, which didn’t have a rosewood neck, but the satin was really nice too.

Anyway it came in a week or so ago. And I’ve just been too lazy to post pics. And in the mean time I orders some pickup rings and stuff from guilford. Well I put them on last night. And I ordered some back plates. They don’t have any finish on them. I’m wanting to spray some satin nitro on them. From what I gather my Lowe’s has some Minwax spray lacquer. And according to minwax’s website it is in fact nitrocellulose. Would that be okay to use on the plates? I know nitro can be tricky and I don’t want to use anything that will harm the guitars finish. In my mind it will work. But that’s a very low standard to go by. Anyway let me know your thoughts.

Personally I would NOT spray a rosewood neck , just light oil and polish it. Rosewood has, to put it simply, a natural oiliness to it and so does not require any type of finish that seals the surface. Such a finish will lift off in time anyway. Many timbers share this characteristic with Rosewood, the classic example being Teak. Oily timbers need a finish that "maintains" the oiliness, these are often referred to as conditioners rather than finishes. Teak Oil, Lemon Oil etc can all be used on Rosewood, as long as the oil is a natural oil and fairly light (viscosity and colour) it will work. Linseed oil should be avoided as it is a drying oil and will clog the pores. I would avoid Tung Oil and Tru-Oil for that reason, they are both drying oils.

Last edited:
Since we are talking about back plates, I would hit each with a few coats of spray lacquer. Then I'd wait a day and buff it out with some craft paper-- or the packing paper you find in some shipment boxes. Here's a good video describing the process:

I've been using this method for years on smaller projects, and it's always come out great. Also, I've tried the Minwax spray lacquer, and was not a fan-- mainly due to the spray nozzle-- uneven spay and subsequent clogging. Never had a problem with Deft ;)

Congrats on the NGD!

pics.gif

Back